alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Need someone to recommend a drawknife  (Read 68601 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Need someone to recommend a drawknife
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
As the subject says...I'm in need of a drawknife to remove bark from logs.  Looked at a few online, and you just can't tell which one is quality and which one is junk.

What brand is known for their quality and workmanship?

Scott ('net is too big to find the good stuff) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Need someone to recommend a drawknife
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:06:10 AM »
Mine was a barn hanger.  You might check the junk stores and find a good old one.  Might need new handles but they aren't much bigger than a pen blank. :) :)

I just checked ebay and there's a bunch there.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:39:23 AM »
Guess I might need to go through a few pawn shops...never know what I might be able to get?

Kirk,
I see that Lee Valley has some great looking tools on those links...but they sure seem to be proud of that last one.  OUCH!! my wallet would hate me.

Scott (think I'll need to sell more blanks) B

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
Wonder how much trouble it would be to make one out a car spring?
Stevem

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:20:04 AM »
Been hitting the local pawnshops in the area.  Never knew there was so many!!!

Still looking, this item does not seem to be a big pawn item around here?  But if you want a router, skilsaw, air nailer, air tanks, compressor, or anything else related to the house building industry...plenty of it!

Scott (coffee is so good....ahhhhh) B

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »
 A car spring from a small car or boat trailer would be thin, and make a nice bark peeler. What about a "Frow" type tool ?? That's what is used to make riven shingles.

In case you aren't aware, they are an "L" shaped device. A car spring, cut about 15" long, if it already has a loop-eye on the end, and make a wooden handle to drive into the loop-eye. Then, just tap the blade under the bark and bang it on the "Free " side, while pulling on the handle side.

It would-should work just fine and not be tough to use, as a drawknife might be.  Just don't sharpen it like a knife. Make it more like a chisel, and back grind the edge just a tad, so it won't dig into the wood near so bad as a knife edge would.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
SCORE!!!

After searching the local pawn shops...with no hand tools in sight.  I stopped by a flea market place, not expecting much.

Found a section all the way in the back and it had a sign that said 50% off everything in this booth!

Left with a 11" blade, straight handled drawknife with a 3/16" backbone and a No#6 Stanley(older model) hand plane for $18.00!!

Now I just need to look around and find out how to sharpen the hand plane blade correctly and put an edge on the drawknife.  Kind of expected the blades to be somewhat dull, but really dull was the condition.  And the price was definitely right!

Scott (I'm in business now) B

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »
The slang name for a draw knife by some was a "gut cutter".  Be careful.  You can make a good one out of an old planer blade, as well.

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »
Good ideas!...as usual.  I'm needing a draw knife to make my bow.  (yes...still working on that)  Asked 'the old men' at the cafe and they didn't even know what I was talking about.  They finally got it when I described it.  One gentleman asked his friends and I was sent one to borrow.  Now, I'm trying to find a worthy file so Willie can sharpen it for me.  Bought one at local lumber store and after about 3-4 swipes the file was smooth.  We won't repeat what Willie said.   ::)  Willie says a Bastard file is what he wants...but can't find one.  Making my own draw knife is sounding better.  Hmmm...have to make draw knife to make bow to get meat.  Is this sounding more complicated than it should be?
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
Files are not for wood, rasps are. That said, anyone who keeps a file around for serious use needs a $2 file card..... http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&biw=1008&bih=549&q=file+card&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12970640513573633477&sa=X&ei=eB6WTpGMCOOesQKl86DvAQ&ved=0CF0Q8wIwAw oops...actually $7 now, but some are cheaper. Unless one cuts really hard steel with a file, it will last indefinitely by keeping it cleaned and oiled.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 10:36:18 PM »
You might want to think about a spokeshave rather than a draw knife.  You can get a good draw knife from Bailey's mail order.  They have a store in Tenn. and one in Northen Calif..

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 06:33:25 AM »
I've been meaning to get a catalog from Bailey's.  Reckon I'll do that this morning. 

Joasis...the file is to sharpen the drawknife I'm borrowing.  It's OLD and in dire need of some TLC.  lol 
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:12:59 AM »
You might want to think about a spokeshave rather than a draw knife.  You can get a good draw knife from Bailey's mail order.  They have a store in Tenn. and one in Northen Calif..

I think Baileys closed the Tenn store. 
Stevem

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
The Peavey company up in Eddington Maine makes several draw knives and there good quality and American made. Frank C.