alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Gypsy moth.....caterpillar  (Read 26493 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Gypsy moth.....caterpillar
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:16:53 AM »
Was wondering if anyone else has seen this pest?

While talking to my father(on Father's Day of course), he mentioned that a few trees have been cleaned off on the hill behind his house.(In Maine)  He had just about every tree cleaned off about 12 years ago, but nothing for the years between.

I know that the caterpillar was imported to the states for their ability to make a silk useful in the clothing market.  Some got away, and thereby started cleaning the tree tops in Maine and New Hampshire.  Not sure of where else they have moved to?

Anyone got them?

Scott (hungry little bugs) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Gypsy moth.....caterpillar
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »

Before I left NJ, in '73, I made up a spraying rig and put a 275 gallon tank in the bed of my Pickup. Went out after work spraying them things using 70% seven dust and a surfactant. Made some nice profit from that. Had MANY satisfied customers. Once in an area, ALL the neighbors would come out and put money in my hand, to be "Next". Sometimes, I had to return day after day, until the whole area was treated.

Them things will cause trees to die from "Sunburn", same as people getting burnt.

Sold the rig, and a couple months later, left the toxic zone, known as NJ.  ::) ;D ;D

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
We had them back then too.  I remember wrapping the trees along the driveway(Northern Red Maples) that we planted with Reynolds foil and smearing the foil with Vasoline.  The caterpillars are hatched on the ground and crawl up the trunk to get to the 'food'.

Picking those stupid things out of the vasoline sucked!  Almost as bad as picking 'tater bugs!

I remember them eating everything on the hillside, and then going after the White Pines growing near them.  Guess there is still a few working the area?

Scott (birds don't even eat 'em...that's bad) B

Offline Johnz125

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:02:22 AM »
Actually the matter very much. There are benefits to living it.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 06:24:25 AM »
Actually the matter very much. There are benefits to living it.

Ummmmmm.......  I have no idea what you are saying?

Scott (I'm pretty fluent in broken English) B

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:25:49 AM »
spammer! I was going to delete but wanted to wait and make sure it was in fact a spammer.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!