alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Hydraulic Operated MD on a trailer  (Read 12410 times)

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
Hydraulic Operated MD on a trailer
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
Have any of you seen this Mobile Dimension in action?
Its the first time I have seen a hydraulic operated MD. The saw is also electric powered.
http://www.sawmillexchange.com/Photo_7211.jpg

The sawmill is for sale (or sold) at the moment. $54,000.00 :-\. That's a lot of money.
http://www.sawmillexchange.com/circular.htm  
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Pictures: www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Hydraulic Operated MD on a trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »
The first mill is a homemade hydraulic system.  He apparently loads the logs onto the chain drive, up to the log stops and then has some sort of log anchors to hold the log in place while he saws.

As to your personal message and a trailer to move your unit.  I used the basic framework of a mobile home trailer frame and mounted the end stands and crossfeed system to that.  I reinforced the frame a great deal, due to the size of logs I would be sawing; up to 4 feet in diameter and 24' long.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
Sv: Hydraulic Operated MD on a trailer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »
The first mill is a homemade hydraulic system.  He apparently loads the logs onto the chain drive, up to the log stops and then has some sort of log anchors to hold the log in place while he saws.

As to your personal message and a trailer to move your unit.  I used the basic framework of a mobile home trailer frame and mounted the end stands and crossfeed system to that.  I reinforced the frame a great deal, due to the size of logs I would be sawing; up to 4 feet in diameter and 24' long.

Off topic:
As for your answer about the trailer I need:
The logs that I'm sawing is weighing 4 to 8 metric tons, therefor I can not saw the logs on the trailer.
I'm looking for some ideas to make a smaller trailer/carrier just for transportation only.
There are no good pictures on the Internet of the original carrier that Mobilmfg makes.

Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:23:58 AM »
The original trailer I received when I purchased my first mill, was an axel about 4' wide with two 14" rims on independent spindles.  There was a wooden block attached to the axel and you C clamped the track to the wood.   At the opposite end for offberring was a 2" ball trailerhitch attachment to hook to a vehicle.  As to the endstands and crossfeed, you simple put them in place when you arrived at your sawing sight.  You then removed the track and carrage from the transport axel by pushing the carrage all the way to one end and lifting the track off of the axel.  I hope this makes some sense.  I will try and speak with Dawn, tomorrow about posting some pictures of the process and the axel I am speaking about.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:24:40 AM »
Welcome aboard LeFranck

FWIW

The "old" MD transportation trailer was a two wheel affair with fenders.  Four maybe five feet wide that the box frame mounted to and literally moved anywhere along the box frame.  The saw itself just stayed on the box frame with it lock into position but still movable to balance the load.  Trailer was wide enough to let the saw pass through. A trailer hitch was bolted to the box frame along with the safety chains.  End frames were carried in the towing vehicle, or the boards and blocks if you used that method.  MD provided a soft face hammer to drive head hardened lag bolts and a speed wrench to remove them.  Track extensions were also carried in the towing vehicle for over the road transport, For short moves just let the extensions stay attached.

The trailer also acted a pivot point and teeter totter to put the frame on the end stands or board and blocks one end at a time.  The head of the saw with the fixed shoe was placed first then the saw head rolled on to that, frame disconnected from the trailer and the far end swung by hand onto the other end stand or board and block.  Shoe adjusted to fit the length.  

It's been over twenty five years since I've done it so probably missed something.  

The "old" saws had a narrower frame and that may make a difference.  Nothing hung below that frame work.   Have to check with MD.

That "Hydraulic" MD has been listed at sawmill exchange for over 3 years that I'm aware of.    
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:58:51 AM »
You know, if I could Sawmill John on here, he could explain this a whole bunch better, as he was the main engineer for MD Manf. for several years.  Where are you, John?

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »
Your up late Frank
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
I had a Willamette Education Service District meeting, that went rather late.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
Sv: Hydraulic Operated MD on a trailer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 06:54:05 PM »
Thanks for all the answers.
Dawn at Mobilemfg have shipped the manual for the MD over to me here in Norway. My MD is down in DR Congo so the manual Dawn sent will help me a lot.

I hope the manual will help me to understand how the carrier looks and what to do to transporting it.

I'm just a bit worried if the box chassis of the MD can resist the shocks of bad roads if I tow it with its full length (6 meters) with just a carrier in the middle.

My end stands and the rack & pinion crossfeeds are larger than the standard, a bit large to load on a pickup truck.
I would need to make a trailer that can carry the hole sawmill with a support under.

Frank
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
The handbook will be of great assistance, I am sure.  As to the larger trailer, I would suggest a large truck bed be acquired and use that for your main sawing trailer.  You might think of a cam system to lower the trailer closer to the ground when you get to your sawing destination.  With such a system, you would have to remove the road tires to allow for getting closer to the ground with your mill setup.