alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Wanted - Mobile Dimension Saw  (Read 24041 times)

Offline sawmill_john

• Contributor
Wanted - Mobile Dimension Saw
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »
I'm looking for a Mobile dimension saw, doesn't need to be the latest - greatest setup.  I have a unique opportunity, to find and setup a mill in SE Alaska, for a reality show, can't say to much about it, as the show has not been aired yet, but they are looking to rebuild an old town, in anticipation of tourist influx. I know one of the guys who is a key figure in the show, they have had a local guy with a band mill saw some wavy spruce, that was unusable, so he recommended me, so we'll see where it goes. 
Frank, didn't you pick up one of those little model 8 mills a year or two ago?  Want to sell it or maybe go up there with me?  Who knows maybe you could be the next reality show star?  So I'm putting out feelers. let me know if any one knows of a mill for sale.

thanks John.

And yes it was just about a year ago I sold my mill, I knew some thing like this would happen.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Wanted - Mobile Dimension Saw
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:53:13 PM »
John,

Good to see you back,  Sawdust in the blood huh?

I saw an MD for sale couple of months ago I think in WA.  Think I posted it on this site. 

Franks might be for sale he's got a new one on order.

Lucas has an EXTRA large one now through Baileys if you ask about it.  Saw it last month in CA.

Spruce knots are a bitch to saw straight even with an MD.  Been there, done that.

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
THe ONLY way I have ever been able to cut straight spruce is with carbide tipped blades and they work miracles on the stuff!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
Years ago was cutting BIG sitka (4'+) with an MD and when I'd get to the knots the saw would rise just a little and leave just a little wood clinging to the tree.  Had to break off the board to remove it from the log.  The board return on the MD would just stall. 

When a Sitka is felled the limbs don't break like they do on fir and pine.  The tree is spring loaded and zooms back toward the stump like a frieght train.  Makes you a believer in stepping sideways from the stump instead of back. And then the tree sits there, off the ground 4 to 10 feet, supported by the limbs.  Real fun to limb.
Sitka doesn't make real good fire wood but the limbs burn like oak and make sparks from a chain saw when cut.
Stevem

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
John,
Here's the post I made back in May.  It's got a phone number that might still be good.  You might try it.

1996 Mobile Dimension Model 128 on factory tandem axle trailer, extensions to cut 26 ' length, extra main blade, extra set of edger blades, factory manual, 313 hours of use, $15,500. Camano-Island,WA, 360-387-3310 evenings.
Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »
Sounds like a lot of Fun John.  Dont forget to plug the forum if you get a chance :)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
When are we leaving, John? ;D ;D ;D

Offline sawmill_john

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 04:31:01 PM »

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 06:30:01 PM »
Talk to Frank.  He might even deliver it.
Stevem

Offline sawmill_john

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 11:43:29 AM »
I don't know if you guys have watched the show " Alaska Gold Rush" yet but I think it's pretty good, I know talking with the guy I know who's on it he heard it had the largest viewing audience of any pilot of that type.  They need a sawmill to so they can build some more buildings! 
Anybody got an old mill that needs work?  What to be able to say that old mill that I used to own is now a "star" on a TV show!  Because I think they get a mill up there and it'll steal the show, there is nothing like a mill running to mesmerize a crowd or the camera.  So let me know they don't have a lot of money, but with the popularity of the show I think they will be doing OK.

john

P.S.  Frank whats New? havin' any luck selling those items to make room for the large electric mill?

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
Stevem

Offline sawmill_john

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 09:53:03 AM »
Thanks Steve,  I looked at the link, the pictures are right off the MDS website, the videos are MDS's I would want to look at the mill in person, see it run.  I have had to give the bad news to too many new sawmill owners that their "good deal" on a sawmill, was too good to be true, and had to turn around and sink more money into the mill than they has spent on it in the first place.  But that is true of any piece of equipment, a lot of the used mills are in pretty good shape, the killer is a mill that just sits unused, that's why I sold mine, I did not have the time to run it like it needed to be.

I do appreciate the heads up!

Offline sawmill_john

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
So does anybody know of a mill for sale?  My friend "Thurber" for the show Gold rush Alaska, thinks they could use a mill, which is what I told him last May before they left on their adventure.  After seeing the show, and talking to him about what actually went on, they could really use it.  I don't think they need a new top of the line model, so if any one knows of one in need of repairs, that would work too.

let me know!

john

P.S.  Frank how the the logging conference?  Hope you had warm clothes!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
I was amazed to see the numbers generated by a bunch of 'idiots' mining gold....spending $275,000.00 to make less then $10,000.00 in gold.  That should have been labeled as a comedy!!!!  Not sure I'd want to be responsible with any of those guys running a sawmill...unless the blade was toothless and not moving.

Good luck......

Scott
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:42 AM »
Rest assured they have found LOTS of gold and its worth a LOT more than that! 

I know that area and even looked at purchasing property near there and its rich with gold deposits. 

If you check out the shows web page they have pictures of some pretty hefty nuggets that have not been shown on this series yet. 

Offline sawmill_john

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »
It's reality TV, not all that's shown is how it happened.  And the real gold mine is the show, it seems they have happened upon it at the right time, if you think about it how many down and out people can get $250,000.00 to go gold mining?  I find it amusing and deep down wished I'd lived at a time when you could set out on an adventure like a gold rush.  As for running a sawmill, Dorsey would die, if he was allowed to get near it.

john

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 02:14:45 AM »
$250,000????  That little. really.  Saw few of the shows and the equipment they had looked to over that.  And parts for big iron ain't cheap and mostly don't come on credit for very long at least.  The shovel is over $100,000 by it's self. 

So John get MD to front the money and you'll pay it back in gold.  Look at all the publiity they'd get.
Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 09:29:04 AM »
Get me the contacts and I will take my mill up there and run it!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
Get me the contacts and I will take my mill up there and run it!

You'd have to check his pockets for nuggets every ten minutes!!! :laugh:

Scott (I'll tail the boards for food) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 06:59:10 AM »
Every ten minutes?  8)

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 05:26:58 PM »
Make sure theres no holes in your pockets :laugh:

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
I'm looking for a Mobile dimension saw, doesn't need to be the latest - greatest setup.  I have a unique opportunity, to find and setup a mill in SE Alaska, for a reality show, can't say to much about it, as the show has not been aired yet, but they are looking to rebuild an old town, in anticipation of tourist influx. I know one of the guys who is a key figure in the show, they have had a local guy with a band mill saw some wavy spruce, that was unusable, so he recommended me, so we'll see where it goes. 
Frank, didn't you pick up one of those little model 8 mills a year or two ago?  Want to sell it or maybe go up there with me?  Who knows maybe you could be the next reality show star?  So I'm putting out feelers. let me know if any one knows of a mill for sale.

thanks John.

And yes it was just about a year ago I sold my mill, I knew some thing like this would happen.

John, you still looking for a mill?  Might have a lead on one.  My neighbor is "storing" a MD for a logger that is in the middle of a nasty divorce.  Just saw it last night.  It just cut some wood for the neighbor so it works.  It and a lot of other equipment is in hiding from the lawyers, etc.

It has a single edger and 4 foot end stands.  No trailer. Has the geared side shift.

I've asked if it's for sale and that was unknown but "he's selling lots of stuff."  Heads up if they want to sell.  A case of beer and a 5th of whiskey goes a long way with these people.

Stevem