alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: boiled burl  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
boiled burl
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »
Has anybody ever heard of boiling burls to reduce the tension in them so they dry better?

Even heard that they dry faster if you first boil them?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Re: boiled burl
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »
I've soaked burls in DNA for 24hrs, then put them in a brown paper bag for a week...moisture level dropped from 40+% to 11%.  I turned the piece right out of the bag, and it looked great.

Was told that the piece would need to be boiled for a really long time, and it would still require awhile for drying....so I didn't do it.

Scott (needed immediate drying) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: boiled burl
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 05:07:24 PM »
I know this is an old post, but no matter.  It might clear something up for the future.  What is DNA?  De Natured Alcohol is all I could come up with.
Thanks
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools