alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: No SS COL increase, again.  (Read 12032 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
No SS COL increase, again.
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »

Freakin Bastards. Congress mandated the COL increase, several years ago. Now, the second year in a row, the damn Politicos are NOT living up to their obligations.

Oh SURE. THEY will get THEIR raise, while the seniors watch while the Bastards give all the money paid in for MANY years, to the lazy and illegals.

Obama wants to put out 50 BILLION for infrastructure. Why wasn't THAT done, instead of giving it to NON-productive WALL STREET BANKERS ????????????????

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: No SS COL increase, again.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
Now Harold, tell me your not trying to make sense of ANYTHING this administratoin does?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
TEOTWAWKI = The End Of The World As We Know It.

Is an acronym floating around the web.  What most people don't realize is that it already has happened.  Our entire social structure has been changed!.  People are really pissed at the whole way this country has been run.  Most seem to think it's Bush or Obamas fault.  But the roots are much much older. 

Social Security has never been financially sound but it did get FDR reelected 3 times and it's been down hill ever since.  The COLA for SS was an a admission by congress that they were the cause of inflation.  It insured a steady supply of votes for those who increased the benefits.  People have been "educated" to accept some inflation as good for the economy.  Some poison is good as long as we pass out the antidote.  ;)  As long as recipients get a "raise" they feel good and thankful.  Even though they can buy less with the dollars received and have to use up their assets to maintain any kind of life style. Bread and circuses.  SS is the bread, cable TV is the circus.

Just saw 45 rolls of pre 1965  Roosevelt dimes for sale on craigs list (silver dimes).  $5 face value for each roll.  Seller wanted $100 per roll.  That's 20 times what they were worth in 1964.  To break even with spending power if you were making $20 a day in 1964 you'd have to be making $400 a day now and that doesn't calculate tax bracket creep.  (I was making about $5/day then in the Air Farce.)  That's what's happened to the buying power of our current money.  Inflation steals from fixed assets and saving accounts. Today over 50% of every additional earned dollar goes out in some form of tax.   

One of the reason that more is not being done with the illegal workers is a lot of them pay into the SS system with phony numbers and thus never earn benefits. 

Something has to be done with SS and nobody has the balls (ovaries?) to do it.  Tweaking isn't the answer.  Major changes would be political suicide and the powers that be have too much vested in there power to ever give it up willingly.  We need a Queen of Hearts...  Off with their heads. 

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
Yep!  With no increase in ss I may have to go on welfare. :'(

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:33:24 AM »
Yep!  With no increase in ss I may have to go on welfare. :'(

Being still considered young....I really wonder what will be available.
I put away as much as allowed into my IRA and my ROTH IRA, as well as 401k...  But I'm sure there will be plenty of fingers in my nest egg when I get ready to retire-if that is even an option anymore in the United States!

Can you qualify for welfare while on SS??
Is that possible??

Scott (maybe if your an illegal) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
That's a tough call.  SS will not be the same in 29 years,  Can't be.  Not only is it broke there is no real fund" just sittin there.  Congress already spent it and signed an IOU. 

My current best guess is the government will try and inflate it's way out of the mess.  Everybody will get the dollars promised but bread will be $20 a loaf.

I bought some insurance (probably not enough) in the form of silver bullion.   
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 08:49:24 AM »

Fortunately, that's why I'm in CR. I bought 4 acres with a small house, for $28,000.00, 5 years ago.

We worked our butts off, planting and maintaining trees. Now, with 750+ trees, some are at 7" DBH, we have an estimated value of $160,000.00, IF I wanted to sell, IN a DECENT economy.  ::) ::)

No extra cash for projects, until the wife starts getting her pension. Could be up to another 6 years wait, although, the Govt keeps "promising" to lower the age to 60 ??  Will have to wait and see.

Would love to ship small amounts of wood, but, small = BIG $$$$ shipping and handling by brokers ::) ::) ::)

Then, theres the wackos that want to stop ALL cutting of the "tropical" forests. We need to GPS the location of EVERY tree we want to cut. Yes, that includes our humble plantation, that WE planted, that is NOT a protected species. Even need to get "permisos" from the Timber Division of the Govt. Then, when they have enough gasoline money, they "might" schedule a day to drive out and mark which trees we are "allowed" to cut. Pay us for that privilege, please, they will tell you. Then, they place a time allotment which you need to get the felling done, or, we start the circus all over, again.  ::) ::)

I should probably just sell everything, Sawmill and all, and just find a small lot, and live like a peasant, just like the world will be doing, very soon. Just need to get the cash before everyone else decides to do the same thing.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »
Alaska is the place to be! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »

No thanks. Nice when you are young. Not so nice when you get old and feeble.

Down here, if it gets too warm, I sit in the shade, and drink Pineapple slushies. Might pull a nanner off the stalk, for a snack. Them pull some veggies out of the garden, for a nice meal. Gather the aigs from the chikkins, and saw a board or 3.  Try to do that when snow is up over yer head, and using tunnels to get around the farmstead.  ::) :D :D

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »
Can always put a few pieces of clothes on when it gets cold outside.
Can't take off too many when it gets hot though....become embarrassing or illegal.

Never would have dreamed you'd need to have permission to cut the trees you planted.  That is just downright overbearing!

Scott (what about cutting your grass) B

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »

Blame it all on the crazy ECO Wackos. Don't cut trees. Don't do ANY mining. Stop air pollution.  ::) ::) ::)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 08:13:53 AM »
Blame it all on the crazy ECO Wackos. Don't cut trees. Don't do ANY mining. Stop air pollution.  ::) ::) ::)

As they drive to your home in un-tuned cars spewing gases and leaking oil on the roadway.  Ironic isn't it?

What is the cost on the premit to cut a tree down?  Do they get you with another 'fee' to come tag them?

Scott (fingers in the pie of life) B

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:16 AM »

No idea on costs. It won't be a lot, but, it just gets my goat that they take control of Plantation cutting. If it weren't for Plantations, there would be far less trees in Cr.

Illegal logging goes on all the time, in the National Forests.  Once equipment is confiscated, it gets back into the timber with in a few weeks, and gets confiscated again.

It's all a game down here.