alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Hobby planer  (Read 16231 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Hobby planer
« on: November 02, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
Been thinking....not the best thing sometimes.

Looking for a planer for the shop.  Is there something I should look for to determine which one to bring home?

Scott (got a few extra bucks) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Hobby planer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »

Hard to beat an old Belsaw Planer. Easy to buy-make what few parts it may need, and, under $500.00. Look around and might find one for $100.00. Does 12" wide X 6" high, and will run all day. It's what I use.

Motor just took a dump, so, I gotta get it rewound  ::) ::)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:03:26 PM »
Woodmaster and RBI are both legacy planers out of the old bell saw.  More than $500 though.  Along the same vein,  Bell Saw made a planer marketed by  Craftsman.  Still can get most parts through the web.

I've got a knock off DC380 that I paid $300 for but it's short on power, 1 1/2HP.  It groans when I make a deep cut on 8" oak and I can't get it to stay tuned in. 

I've read good things about the new Delta table top but that's just hear say.

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Always helps to hear what others are using, and if they are having problems with 'em!

Scott (hobby or pro...doesn't mean I'll go easy) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »

If you are doing much of that Pecan-Hickory, table tops will need "Skim" cuts, or they will let out the magic smoke.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
I have an old 12" cast iron planer made by Parks with the Craftsman name on it. I modified it to mount on a tractor three point hitch, plenty of power now and very portable. Frank C.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
That should be enough power to knurl planer blades.

Sears used to relabel a lot of industrial equipment.  I just found out that sears was selling the old circle BellSaws under a sears banner and of course the planer/moulders too.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 06:24:12 AM »
Truth of the matter planers are a pain in the arse, like a trophy wife they always want something. Its tricky setting the knives and it seems the feed rollers are always worn out or not adjusted right. I hope the newer segmented cutter heads are easier. I have an old Grizley planer knife sharpener, a friend gave me, even that is tricky to use. If something isn't fussy I will just grab my Metabo hand electric planer, it has reversible carbide knives and seems to always be sharp. If I had much planning to do I would find an old iron monster build it its own shed and belt a tractor up when I needed planning. Frank C.