alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What have you used to harvest logs from the forest?  (Read 36346 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
What have you used to harvest logs from the forest?
« on: February 10, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »
For me it started out using my grandfathers Kabota tracktor and a set of skidding tongs.  When my brother purchased the tractor I then had to turn to my 93 Suburan  :o 

I put a 9000lb winch on it, skidded the logs out of the woods with that, then drug them with the truck to a place they could be loaded on a trailer.  Sounds crazy but I did that for several years and moved a lot of logs.  If they were to far in the woods for the cable then I would use the 200' of wire rope I made to assist in getting to them.  Most of the logs I had access to were always within 300 feet of the edge of the woods.

Now I just have the folks with track hoes or tractors load them for me ;D  Dont know why I didnt have them do that a long time ago.  :D

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: What have you used to harvest logs from the forest?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:06:50 PM »
Well, on of my first thinning jobs I used a couple 250 pound high school football players that needed to stay in shape.  The logs were only 16' 10" and they would put opne under each arm and skid them to the edge of the forest and an open field.  I had they doing that for about three weekends and they I got my 1954 Fergusion tractor and use chain hoods welded to a three point blade and did my yarding.

The first load of logs number 180 pieces on a short self-loader.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:14:23 PM »
Must have been Western Red Cedar.  Dont think they would do that with some of the hardwoods we have around here. 

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 08:58:50 PM »
No, it was Douglas Fir.  They ranged with tops at 5 to 8 inches.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:18:18 AM »
i used an 8N ford usely with front wheels off the ground had cly heads hanging off of the front axle for ballast & my pu
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »
Mike, your my kind of logger!   :D

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 01:57:13 PM »
What haven't I used...

Started with a polaris 4 wheeler. 

Even used a 1986 Chevy pickup

Went big time with a 1969 John Deere 3010 2wd bucket tractor

Then a international S-7 skidder!

Then a Case 840 skidder

Then a 240 Timberjack and then a 230 Timberjack

Now just a millworks guy!

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »
Yamaha 600 Grizzly w/Future Forest Products Arch
GMC short bed stepside 4X4
Polaris Ranger with tracks w/Future Forest Products Arch
New Holland 45hp with hydrostatic tranny and grapple bucket

The Ranger is a better skidder with the arch.  The New Holland is for stacking and sorting on the landing.
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Got to have some picks of these neet logging toys guys!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »
ok it says up loader is full again
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »
Fixed ;D

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »
arch.0
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 06:35:51 PM »
I got to say the best is an HG or OC3 Oliver cle-track...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »
I used an Oliver OC-6 for years, put a plate and winch on the back. Best rig was an 830 JD two cylinder diesel hooked to a heavy trailer with a jib crane it would pull them out and load them on the trailer. Trailer was the same Hight as the circular mills log brow, could just roll them off. Now I just have them dropped off. Frank C.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 05:51:58 PM »
I do little logging now, but mounted a HD Braden winch on a three point hitch with a low tilt bed trailer behind. It will yard and pull the logs on the trailer. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 08:33:33 AM »
For the last bunch of years I've just been using an old Oliver backhoe with forks on the bucket.  I fell, limb and buck to length there in the woods and then fiddle fart around getting to the logs where they lay and get them into the air so they're mostly clean when it comes time for milling.

I've never seen anything dull a blade faster than mud/dirt - I literally can feel the difference in how hard it is to push after going through a spot of dried mud.  Actually, hitting backstops or clamps dulls them faster, but is sure is impressive just how quick and how far a sharp blade will cut into mild steel!

I'll have to try hitting a rock someday....just for scientific comparison....it's only a matter of time.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »
24' homemade pontoon boat with 12000# electric winch. Back at the landing used a JD backhoe owned by the camper park owner.

When needed, used a 28' homemade gooseneck trailer with 6500# electric winch and self designed tailend boom and the 6500# winch.

Down here in the jungle, used a block and tackle and or a hand cranked winch until I rigged up a 12V boat trailer winch. Wife would rock and steer the logs with a cant hook. Used chains, 80' yellow cargo strap and 100' of 1/4" wire rope to reach some of the logs. We got some steep pulls here.

When the mill is finished have all necessary parts to fashion up a drag able arch.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:58:54 PM by HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader »

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 07:37:40 AM »
Are you gonna be able to get pics of this new creation of yours?  And of your place?  I'm curious about where you live and and work and I just can't imagine it in my head...
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 02:49:56 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh:
 Actually Ox, The river/swamp logging was in Florida, before moving down here.

For photos, I may have to have someone upload them for me. Getting dumber every day.

:laugh: The swingmill conversion is coming along. Just lots of figuring, design work and redoing things that were not quite right. Just gotta be patient.  :laugh:

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »
Well I guess I really don't do any "logging". I do cut trees down for my mill, but they are mostly on the edge of one of my fields , drop em, cut them to length, pick them up with my Kubota 3540 and grapple, and either put them on my 20' flatbed or just drive them to my mill , which ever is easier.. I try not to drag them and get them dirty!

See, field edge and grapple

Kind of the same way (same field) I do my hogs! ;-)

Offline terracefarmer

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 01:36:11 AM »
Started with an old Farmall M with a loader and trip bucket, then progressed to a JD 2440 and hydraulic loader, then to skid steers, several over the years.   I've used dozers, crawler loaders, excavators and this past fall, finally bought a Bell Super T feller buncher, the best thing I'd ever done, and the very best part, I think its the safest thing I've ever done as well, I have no idea how you'd get hurt while operating it in the timber if you stayed inside the cab.     

I bought it for several reasons, the first being that its safe as you operate it, and second, it saves the back from operating chainsaws all day long, and last, it cuts just as fast the first cut of the day as it does on the last cut, I've noticed that somewhere along the line, I'm not as young as I used to be and felling tree's got to be a lot of work somewhere along the line, and skidding tree's also got to be a lot of work, getting off and on all the time to hook up chains and cables all day long.   

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »
Those Bells are amazing machines and if I had to get into doing a bunch of felling it's likely what I'd get.  The only drawback I see is that there aren't 4 drive wheels and it's not articulated, and these two things can allow to wiggle out of some interesting situations.  I'd gladly give these 2 things up with all the other advantages of the Bell.

How are parts availability? 

Offline terracefarmer

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 01:55:02 AM »
Parts are supposed to be good, but I'm waiting right now for a rubber intake boot for the engine, most everything else can be found locally that I've needed.       There is an importer down in Georgia I think and the plus side is, they are still made new oversea's yet to this day, but when Deere made the deal with Bell to sell and distribute Bell's equipment, the three wheeled feller buncher was kept out of the United States due to taking market share away from Deere's own feller bunchers made in Iowa about 90 miles from me.

You might be right about the four wheeled machines to an extent, but nobody makes a four wheeled machine with a dangle head on it that I know of, they only run hot saw heads and some run shear heads, those only cut tree's down, and are not able to work them up at all.      Dangle heads are put on excavators and Ryan equipment now sells one to put on skid steers and smaller carriers, but for a new head alone being 35k plus in price plus the cost of the carrier, they were out of my price range completely.     The other issue with a skid steer or any other carrier is they don't come equipped with any sort of guarding to keep the operator safe when running it.   This little Bell is really built with the safety of the operator in mind, I've talked to a few that flipped them over and still never got hurt, the thing I really liked is, when felling a tree, quite a few times over the years a limb would fall out and either hit the feller or something would bounce back and whip the feller causing injury, inside the Bell you could land the tree on it and I don't think the operator could get hurt at all, my main reason for buying it, that and to save all the hand labor.     It turns out, my kids will come on weekends and run the Bell, not many showed up to lug a chainsaw around, as they say, when they were younger, they did their fair share of that and it no longer appeals to them to run a chainsaw.     

Offline terracefarmer

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 02:16:31 AM »
I forgot to mention it, but there is a local guy here, friend on mine as a matter of fact that was helping one of his coworkers a few years back cut firewood and while cutting down a tree, it bounced off a stump and flipped around and got him, broke his back in many places and luckily he lived and somehow, he's able to walk, not great, but enough to get around and still function.   He''s young, maybe low 40's and has a wife and kids to support.    Its completely changed his life, the hospital bills alone he will be paying on the for the rest of his life, his job has changed, his wife has been forced to change carrer's, his kids live's have been changed forever, health problems and complications will plague him forever and the list is endless as to what this accident has done to him and will do to him till the day he dies.     

Until that incident, it never truly hit home what can happen, so you could say, we've been very fortunate over the years nothing bad ever happened to any of us over, some could call it luck, some might call is being good and aware of the situation, call it whatever you want, but at the time of his accident I said, that's enough till I get a machine that can put the operator out of harms way and into a much safer position to do felling and bucking logs, we're going to let this work pass us by.      Looking back now, I should have done it 30 years sooner to save wear and tear on our bodies, but better late than never I guess you could say. 

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:50 AM »
Thanks for the writeup on the Bells.

I totally agree with you - better late than never.  And I'll be the first to admit I've been very, very lucky over the years that I haven't gotten hurt more than I did.  No matter the skill, luck is usually a factor in the incidents I'm talking about.  I think we all kind of know we've been lucky.  Sure, many times we stayed safe by thinking safety, but you know how "shit happens".

Hopefully your future endeavors works out just like you want them to.