alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Must have tools or what do I need ?  (Read 17050 times)

Offline ChuckinVa

• Authentic Appalachian American
  • New Contributor
Must have tools or what do I need ?
« on: January 01, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
I went and looked at some eastern red cedar today that is in a pasture that the owner wants to selectively  remove and if I cut it down I can have it. Some of it is 30 feet tall and up to 20 inches in diameter. I thought it would be a good start for me and since it was free except for the labor and effort to move it I told her I would take it. There is also some very large maple ( one log is too large for my mill) that someone else cut down for fire wood and then never came back to get the rest of it. There is at least one piece of this that I could cut if I could get it loaded. Now to the original intent of this post. I have a 16 foot tandem axle trailer, and a pick up truck. what tools (aside from loaders ) are helpful to load the logs on my trailer once I have them on the ground? Cant hooks and peaveys are helpful but I'm thinking about a winch or block and tackle, log tongs,come alongs those types of things that will make the job easier to do.
I don't have a lot of money to invest but want to begin getting my tools together so I can get started.  I am looking forward to your suggestions .
Thanks,
CHUCK
Hud-Son Oscar 18 Mill
Stihl MS311 saw

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Must have tools or what do I need ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
If you have no tractor, with a loader, you might consider par buckling the logs from the side of the trailer.

Offline ChuckinVa

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »
I have a small Kubota tractor with loader that I was considering trailering to the site but then I don't know how I would unload the logs off the trailer after I got them home as the trailer has short sides and fenders. I might be able to hook a log dog to the log and pull the trailer out from under it but this is new to me so I'm interested in how others with limited equipment, do it.
Hud-Son Oscar 18 Mill
Stihl MS311 saw

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
Put sleepers (6" x 6") with notches or something nailed on top as stops on the trailer bed as high as the fenders and load using parbuckle or push-on-ramps with the Kabota pushing.

Strap the logs down and go home and roll them off with a PeeVee.  Might want to put some blocking or a jacks on the load/off load side so you don't brake any springs on the trailer.  Puts the weight center a bit high so I probably I wouldn't stack them.

Take the mill to the logs?

Large maple can be split with a chainsaw or chainsaw and wedges.  If it's sat for awhile it might have spalting in it, which is good.

Just be careful.  Even small logs are larger than big people.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »
Safety TiP:

NEVER EVER get on the downhil side of a log when loading or unloading!  When things go bad it happens faster than you can think about moving and people get killed! Work from the ends of the log but never directly in front of it!

Offline ChuckinVa

• New Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »
Great comments. Especially the safety comments. I know that being new to this I will make mistakes and I want to live to cut another day. I've been looking at the par buckling and I think that I can use the small tractor I have and accomplish that. I may even be able to load the smaller piece of maple by positioning the trailer and using the tractor to pull the rope. Speaking of which, what type of rope do you typically use? I know nylon will stretch and hemp is not available to my knowledge. What are you using for rope?
Thanks,
CHUCK
Hud-Son Oscar 18 Mill
Stihl MS311 saw

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
I use rope cable.  Its a hemp wrapped with multiple strands of cable.  Should be able to pick it up at a Rural Farm Supply. 

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
I often use high quality lifting straps or log cable chockers, for lifting and pulling.  Most of the time I use heavy duty lifting tongs hung from center of my tractor bucket.  For par buckling I have used half inch cable to to 5/8" high quality synthetic rope.  There are some very good ropes from Bailey's or other arborist supply places, but they are spendy.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »
go visit a few wrecker /tow truck guys they have to change out there cable & someplaces its hard to get rid of
you can cut out good cections to use for parbuckling
i use log chains moset time
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »
Ive used log chains many of times!

Offline Hoghead

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
Good Morning All,

I'm looking at getting a "pickup box crane" to mount on the
my 14' Utility Trailer. You can get up to 2,500 lb lift, with
about a 10' high lift. Just search "pickup box crane".

This might be a option for a start.

Robert

Offline Hoghead

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
I'm back, as someone once said in a movie.

Look at this web site: www.westernmule.com

Robert

Offline ChuckinVa

• New Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
Hoghead, Thanks for the link. I think that may be a little further up the road for me but I can see lot's of potential uses.

I did get one of the cedar trees down on Sunday. My son and I cut all of the limbs off and put them in a pile ( we cut some of the larger ones for kindling for next year) When we finished we had two 16 plus foot logs which we plan to pick up this week end when we go back and cut another one.It was really sad to see a guy there cutting one of the trees for firewood. He even admitted to us that he felt bad cutting it up for firewood when it could make such nice lumber. Can anyone tell me how soon after a log is cut do I need to seal the ends of the log ?
Hud-Son Oscar 18 Mill
Stihl MS311 saw

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:42:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me how soon after a log is cut do I need to seal the ends of the log ?

The sooner the better is the general answer. 

However it's not always possible/convenient/handy to do it right now. 

So when the tree can start to dry because of the weather conditions they should have been done.

Hardwood is more critical than soft wood.  Around here the mills that do soft woods, don't even worry about logs drying out this time of year  because it rains all the time.  In the summer they supply the rain (sprinklers that is).  Mill ponds are a thing of the past.  After the boards are cut the lumber is end sealed.

Western Red Cedar is very forgiving.   I don't know about your kind but assume it's similar. 
Stevem

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
Just an added note on cutting the cedar.  Lots of cedar is cut to give a finished size of 5/8" instead of 3/4" as it is used a decorative instead of structural.
Stevem

Offline ChuckinVa

• New Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 05:57:49 AM »
Just an added note on cutting the cedar.  Lots of cedar is cut to give a finished size of 5/8" instead of 3/4" as it is used a decorative instead of structural.

That is great information. That is one area I need more information on. If I were custom sawing for some one I would expect them to determine the size, but when I am just cutting for lumber I don't know what sizes to cut for potential uses.
Hud-Son Oscar 18 Mill
Stihl MS311 saw

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
Chuck,

If you put ramps up the side you can hook a chain or cable to the edge of the trailer, run it around the middle of the log and back over the top of the trailer and hoof to the tractor, 4-wheeler, or truck on the far side. Then back up slowly and the log wil roll up the rmap and onto the trailer.  It is a good idea to lay down an block chock or rock for the first one to keep it from rolling all the way across the deck and smashing the fender on the other side or rolling off again!  Experience can be expensive and painful!! ::)
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale