alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New Guy & New Mill  (Read 13032 times)

Offline BlackHills

• BlackHills
  • New Contributor
  • Working smart is harder than you think!
    • Rough Cut Sawmill & Lumber Co.
New Guy & New Mill
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
Please allow me to introduce myself.  I'm Scott, owner of new Timberking 1220, still on it's way.  I've been using an alaska mill for last 20+ years to cut personal beams and whatever..  I built my own stick built home on top of the Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota.  I'm at about 6800'.  I live on 50 acres of prime "gold" country land and own the mineral rights.  I built my home 13 years ago, and work from home.  I've been in the Real Estate business for 12 years. the construction industry for 10 years, I have a architectural design background from the US Army, i.e. Engineer!  I actually blew up more than I built! lol

My wife, Jeanne is a nurse midwife.  I purchased the 1220 with one extention so I can go to 19.5'  The last log I cut with a chainsaw was 33' x 12x12 and I probably could cut longer!  I want to mount my mill on a trailer frame, just in case I need to go remote, however I will probably just haul wood in, just never know.  anyway thought the frame would make a great way to add extentions for all the pine. "Pretty much all we have here, except for the exceptional downed elm or someother in town."

I want to  mini log cabin kits to sell to locals, something around 12 x 16 with dovetail ends using a 6v8 log.  I also want to cut large slabs to sell to locals.

Can't wait to learn more about all of you.. been reading alot alread.

Jeff, kicked me off the http://www.forestryforum.com/ because I put a link to my portal which I run as my business:  http://www.blackhillsportal.com my new mill website is www.RoughCutLumberCo.com

Offline BlackHills

• BlackHills
  • New Contributor
  • Working smart is harder than you think!
    • Rough Cut Sawmill & Lumber Co.
Re: New Guy & New Mill
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
I wanted to also mention I have a Cat 262 Skidsteer with forks to load logs, and was wondering what you guys recommend as temporary set up when 1220 arrives.  I was planning on milling some 12x12 and setting them up staggered, for the mill to set on, then build a loading shoot with 12x12 then maybe putting some 12x6 on them for logs to roll onto mill?  I burn all my own wood, with exterior wood boiler to heat floors in house and other out buildings..  I'm looking forward to burning cutoffs as much as lumber.  I have about 7k bf down waiting mill, I also have about 20k standing that can be cut, because of pine beetle.  There is a lot of it here in Black Hills, and I thought I might be able to get in on harvest!

Later,

Scott  ps lookforward to comments!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
Jeff, kicked me off the http://www.forestryforum.com/ because I put a link to my portal which I run as my business:  http://www.blackhillsportal.com my new mill website is www.RoughCutLumberCo.com

Now how come that doesnt surprise ANYONE here :D :D :D

Welcome to the club, where we dont charge for ANYTHING nor do we request a percentage of any sales you generate from this site!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:28:28 PM »
Welcome aboard blackhills.  I did a little time in So. Dak. in my youth, Gettysburg, and still have some friends there.  The Black Hills are pretty country if you are there when the wind isn't blowing snow around.

Guess Jeff was a feared you outsell him on 12 x 12 beetle kill.  Go figure!

I'm the expert swing sawyer on the site, come to think of it I'm the only swing miller here. :laugh: :laugh:

I looked real hard at the 1220 before I bought my present mill.  Really liked the legacy factor for the company and the hell for stout appearance of there mills.

I take it that you're a bit on the conservative side based on your blog site.  should fit right in.  Just watch out for Kirk, he's not just a gun nut he thinks the Constitution is important.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Wrangler

• Trees to Gunstocks
  • New Contributor
    • Custom Laminated Rifle Stocks
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
Scott,

I wondered what happened to you over at that other forum... Have you got your mill yet? My 1220 came in last week and I've got it ready to saw, only we're in the middle of a winter freeze with snow & ice. I guess I'm a wimp, but I'm waiting till it at least gets above freezing before I start sawing.

Hal
Hal, East Tennessee - I'm so covered in dust, my nickname should be dusty!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum guys!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »
quote: Jeff, kicked me off the http://www.forestryforum.com/ because I put a link to my portal which I run as my business:  http://www.blackhillsportal.com my new mill website is www.RoughCutLumberCo.com

i think he's afraid of people realizing there are other places on internet
mike p who was also removed some years ago

oh yea glad to have you here
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sawing/poolman

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
Hi Scott    I stopped going of F.F and i think jeff is anal also.I think sawing on the road with a manual mill is too hard and slow.I did it with a kasco. I bolted a leaf spring axle to it for travel.I use a b-20 now so if i go on the road i dont need more than a tug from my truck to pull a log to my forks.Timber king is heavy built and tough.Your front loader will make up for having manual features.You can wrap a  rope recoil style  hooked in your log at one end of the rope ,then pull up on the  rope with loader bucket and turn heavy logs with out your back.If you fall in love with wood like me later you might go to a hyd. machine in a few years.    brian