alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: My head is going to expload! THINGS ARE BAD!  (Read 11232 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
My head is going to expload! THINGS ARE BAD!
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »
This is a copy of the email I sent my state rep in regards to our personal property tax going up 100%!  Thats right, 100%.  The asnwers I got back were enough to make my head exploed!

I hope you’re sitting down  :banghead:

While continuing to investigate the multi-township issue I spent several hours in our county tax assessor office this week. 

Roger I am here to tell you there is ZERO accountability to our taxpayers through the current system of assessors!

Our property tax went up 100%! 
While looking at the dimensions they have for our home I informed them those numbers are way off from what a tape measure reflects.  (Drum Roll Please)     “That’s Possible because when we put those together we had the High School kids do it as part of a class project”

Justification on issues with my taxes:

Finished Attic?  NO its not finished!   “You got curtains on the windows so we assumed it was finished!”

Full CEMENT basement?  NO its Brick Half Basement! “Oh, I thought it was a full basement”

24x48 Building?  NO SUCH BUILDING ON OUR PROPERTY! “Its not our job to take stuff off, its your job to object then the review board may or may not adjust the record”

Lot size doubled?  No, it’s the same since 1901!  “We assumed your lot size wrong, its right now with our aerial mapping”

What standard determines lot size?  “How much grass you mow”  Your kidding right?    NO!

Ag Pole building attached to House lot? Built and used for Farm operation.  “It’s a garage because I drank bear and played cards in it when your tenant lived there”.  What our tenant did was violate the lease agreement and that’s why he is gone.  Its not a garage!   “I say it is!”

It’s clear there is NO STANDARD being used and ZERO accountability!

I have talked with people who have had their property tax go up 600%, 365%, 100%, 40% and 10%.  It appears the new aerial mapping system is driving everyone’s taxes up with a boat load of errors.  Creeks through property that have ALWAYS been classified wasteland are now tillable acres.  Don’t catch it and you pay taxes for it!  Ground with trees planted now show up as Tillable acres.  Don’t catch it and you pay tax’s for it.  Their new system is changing and raising EVERYONES tax out of control.

It’s clear the assessor’s office has taken the position they have ZERO responsibility to actually do their job outside of fixing whatever the tax payer MIGHT catch on their assessment.  Our Tax assessor KNEW the building on our assessment was NOT ON OUR PROPERTY yet did nothing and told me it’s not his job to take stuff off? 

HOW DO WE HOLD THESE ASSESORS ACCOUNTABLE?  They get paid by the taxpayer and it’s clear after this week they do NOTHING to represent the tax payer………………..outside costing us far more money than necessary.

Don’t take my word for it.  Contact our new states attorney, Mark Isaf!  He too is finding that the Mantra for Edgar County is “We have always done it that way!

IT HAS TO STOP!  HELP

OK, done venting but I hope this gives you some information you can use to try and fix what’s broke!

Thanks
Kirk Allen
Kansas
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: My head is going to expload! THINGS ARE BAD!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »

I say SUE there asses. THEN, string 'em up. They have GOT to have some sort of accountability. If not, get a mob together, and physically throw their asses out in the street.

Y'all have GOT to get together. They can't put EVERYONE in jail.  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »
I'm with ya there. I fight our county every year >:( Theyre going to keep it up and someone s going to get hurt.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »
Rest assured we have a BUNCH of people in town on edge as I am not the only one being effected. 

This has to stop!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »
One assesor went into my office building, I lease in town.  He wanted to go measureing everything.  The tennant would not let him.  Good call on her part.  I called him later in the day and told him, "If you ever step on that property again, I would have him arrested for trespasssing."   He had been on of my students many years ago and knows I mean what I say.   No more problems.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:08:02 AM »
Few years ago I put a nice 12'x14' deck on the front of the house......
Last year the assessment of my property changed by $30K, so the little deck added $30K to my property value and they have decide to raise my taxes.  I don't think that in the market(homes sales), the deck would add $30K and told them so.  Doesn't matter to them, I can pay or they take the house and sell it.....sure, right after I burn it to the ground they can have it!

Scott (freakin' money grabbers) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »
Scott this is excatly why we HAVE to get involved in our local polotics because its the county boards who appoint an assesor and we the people MUST hold those people accountable!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 12:01:47 AM »
Here on the left coast state of Oregon, the assesors are elected. :'(

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 04:45:30 AM »
My last house I poured a stamped concrete patio and built a 12 x 14 shed for patio storage and these loudoun county crooks upped my assessment 100,000 :o >:(