alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: My neighbor  (Read 20390 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
My neighbor
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:45:12 AM »
Just met this young man last week and we went and cut some Sequoia slabs 58" wide and 10'6" long.  Lives up the road from me about a mile.  He gave up the business for a chain saw.  Now he has to work for a living.  I traded my sawing for one of his carvings.  He's happy and I'm happy.  Frank vouches for him.

http://www.oregonchainsawsculptures.com/

This might be my horseshoe.  He's in with 6 different tree services and turns down trees all the time.  He only wants, cedar, redwood, a few maples and of course walnut.  The weird stuff he passes on.

I'll keep an eye our for pen blanks. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:54:25 AM by Stevem »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: My neighbor
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:06:22 AM »
Geee, he does not have a picture of my salmon jumping through some logs.  He is a great young man.  I am happy he is near you, Steve.  He needs some of your insights and business moxy. ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »
I saw your salmon! nanner nanner! ;D
Stevem

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »
That sequoia that we got the 10 slabs off of (9 at 2" and 1 at 3") was only down to heart center when we shut down for dark and folded the saw.  Not a good part of town to leave equipment over night.  Might still go back and get the rest if it's there.
Stevem

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33:25 PM »
I did not know you had a slabber for your mill.   ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:31:57 AM »
Yes sir i do.  I bought it last year at the logging show.  Slightly used as a demo.  It will cut 60".  Takes about 30 min. to put it on. 

The redwood we cut was about 58" wide with bumps to 60 1/2".  Had to cut the bark off to get past them.  It was a hell of a day as I didn't have the chain sharpened right and all we got off was bug dust for cuttings.  Took the chain to the saw shop and had them correctly sharpen it.  I hadn't cut down deep enough.  I guess I figured it was a spendy chain and I'd leave as much metal as I could.

The redwood was still there.  The firewood guys hadn't got there yet.  Went back yesterday and finished cutting the log into 2" x 8".  Lots faster than the slabber with the bad chain and a lot easier to move the cut wood.  The city guys stopped and gawked a bit and commented that they were wondering how we were going to move the tree.  We even took half of the bottom slab home for David to carve.  I've now got around 300' of fresh cut redwood in my yard.  Makes for about 1200' from the log.
Stevem

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
I might just have you come here and slab out the 7 logs of Sequoia I have, that range from 4' to 6' on the butts. 

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:12:17 AM »
Any time Frank.  But I thought you had a slabber for the MD?
Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »
Carefull Steve, Frank is just looking for a tailman! 

And that 4'-6' on the butts?  Dont be fooled as I have seen that puppy in his log yard and its more like 12' at the butt!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
Awe shucks Kirk,  he's just talking about the limbs not the whole tree.  Just the small stuff.
Stevem