alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: calves  (Read 11181 times)

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
calves
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:10:22 AM »
well i bought 4 calves at sale sat a black angus bull, black limmozine heffer, black angus steer, & a black/ red cross angus  bull & this one died of phnenoma monday morning.
now were giving the rest shots as its contagious
the 2 bulls are/were bottle calves & the other 2 are about 300+ lbs
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: calves
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »
I would demand they give you your money for the bull as I bet you can get a vet to tell you that bull was sick when they sold it! phnumonia normally doesnt kill that fast.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:00:14 AM »
Yup, yup, yup!  Sale barn should have caught pneumonia.  Seller should've known...and probably did!  I would demand some sort of compensation.  If it's contagious then that means the cattle they were around at sale barn could have it, too.  Might want to "lightly" mention that when you talk to someone in charge there.  I'm sure other patrons would be interested in knowing the cows they bought could be infected. 

Just noticed the date on these posts.  How are the cows doing now, Mike?
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »
well i talked to sale barn they got defensive said theres no gaurenty they are just the auction house agreed to look up the seller for me on sat
well sat they refused to give me seller & was very hate full
i bought 2 more calves that day when i went to pay for them the casher got real loud so every one can hear & said theres no way they would be responsible for health of anaimals.
one of those died from scours that it had about 2 weeks later
the rest of my herd had to be given shots of antibotic a certian kind that runs $10. per animal
3 of my healthy calves got sick & i spent weeks & lots of medicine fighting it
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »

Seems to me you need to get the GOVT. involved. USDA, Public Health Dept, County Agent. Bring the wrath of hell down on them. They are helping spread communicable diseases. I would also go to Social Services or such, to DEMAND the name of the sellers of Both death cases.

I would NEVER buy from a sale barn.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
There is a law that indicates that a trail of purchase has to be followed.   Like Harold said, get a government agency involved.

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »
Contact your local Ag. Extension Agent.  Here in E. Texas we cannot transport a horse without coggins test.  Must have papers on you.  We trail ride and I have to have papers for each horse involved.  We have bought all sorts of animals at our local sale barn.  My husband knows the owner very well.  I took a cow to sale once.  The man in front of me had cows who were being logged in.  The checker paused, then went inside and got the owner.  Owner came out, checked out the cows and talked with the owner, who got a little peeved but finally left...with his trailer of cows.  I asked what his problem was and the owner said he suspected a health problem with the man's cows.  Told him to get them cows outta there and don't come back till he got 'em well.  "I've got to much stock around here to be spreadin' sh** like that!"

Now, they can get what we call "Shipping fever".  Husband just reminded me of that.  Antibiotics should take care of that.  But for the owner of the sale barn to be rude with you like that makes me very suspicious.  DO NOT put up with that.  Your Extension Agent should be able to at the very least point you in a good direction.  But I'm thinking he should be able to also get you some satisfaction.  Gonna call my agent Monday to see what possibilities he suggests.  I'll let ya know what I find out.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
Mike, a few minutes after I posted above, some of my husband's friends came over.  Two are cattle raisers from way back.  I asked about your particular issue.  They said that once you make your purchase and leave the auction, the cows are totally your responsibility.  The auction barn is NOT responsible.  I also described the symptoms of your cows and they said that sounds like Shipping Fever.  Willie, my husband, reminded me of a few cases we have had.  It is very contagious.  The two cow-men said that the big cattle buyers who receive new shipment of calves, yearlings or cows immediately vaccinate for Black Leg, Shipping Fever...and something else I can't remember.  Shipping fever is a quick illness which will, indeed, turn into pneumonia even quicker.  They said usually if an animal is not treated, they will die within 24 hrs.  They said they don't know exactly what it is that starts the Fever...it just happens.  They said that you should IMMEDIATELY give antibiotics to ALL your livestock...horses, cows, etc. 

As for rude auction people, I will clean up what they said about that:  Tell them where to stick their whole auction barn and twist!  Although, they said the Barn owner has no legal responsibility to give you the sellers name, it actually should be on your receipt. 

My own opinion is that I'm sure reg's and laws vary from state to state.  But, I thought I'd let ya know what more knowledgeable people than myself said.  I do hope that you get this illness taken care of.  Cattle prices are up here in E. Texas and that's too much money to be wasted like that! 

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »
i bought on a sat afternoon , sat evening it was acting sick i gave it antibodies i had here i took the calf to vet monday 8 am, it dided 2 hours later
i had vet do partial autopisey she said it was full of a jell to plug up scours & the phenoma got it very contagious
the seller 's are listed on recipet buy the number they were checked in on
i got 10 healthy calves now & they range from 150 lbs up to around 4 or 500 lbs. one bull 150 lbs, 5 heffers, 4 steers
im done buying i sold 4 big heffers to buy 12 calves & 2 died so i got 10 & broke
plan to sell 3 of the steers next year to buy more calves & breed the heffers with the black angus bull im raising 
i got lots of grass & little cash
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
Willie says...sounds like maybe the seller had just bought the calves, they got Shipping Fever, he decided to sell again (ignorant S.O.B. ---Willie quote) and tried to cover the fact they were sick (gel).  He says that is probably why you could not save that particular calf...he was too far gone.  When you got the calves and started pumping anitbiotics in them, you got the Fever taken care of.  He says to make sure that IF you buy from Auction Barn again...ANY auction barn...be sure to start antibiotics on animals as soon as you get them home to keep your herd healthy.  "Especially that Angus bull!" 

Willie and I were talkin' 'bout this while I was sharpening blades yesterday.  (him on his 5 gal bucket...me on the back porch sharpening...) I figure since it seems you may have no legal recourse to find buyer, you might want to call owner of auction barn...one...more...time.  Very calmly ask him again if you could have the owner's name so you can know exactly what those calves might have had.  If Auction owner gets "pissy" with you again, very calmly inform him that if you don't get some cooperation from him, you will write a letter to the Editor of the local paper outlining your troubles with his establishment.  Willie says that if the man has an attitude with you, you can't be the first person who has had trouble like this.  You might find alot of other people in your same boat.  And, if the owner has half a brain cell, he might just see this would be some very damaging publicity and change his mind about cooperating. 

Gonna keep that Angus bull of yours in much prayer, Mike!  You have lots riding on him!  What breed are your heiffers?

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
one red angus
one charlay cross with something
one black angus
one brama
one limozine
the last 2 are tame as a dog
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:27:02 AM »
Willie and some friends were just talking about a man who used to have a whole herd of mixed Jersey and Brahma...hardy cows with huge bags!  Sure wish I could find one.  We've had 2 Jersey cows and I'm not impressed with their personalities.  I'm the one who milks around here.  Getting 'allergic' to being kicked!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »

Find you a Brown Swiss or 3. Our Dairy herd was 1/3 Swiss. Not a joker in the deck from them. We have a few neighbors here with a few Brown Swiss. LOTS of high fat milk. One we had would do 100# a day, when first fresh.  ;D ;D  All gentle as a lamb.

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:53:09 AM »
That reminds me that Willie has mentioned Brown Swiss before.  Jersey's are all the rage 'round here, now.  And those who are selling them are awfully proud of them:  $1000-$2000 for fresh cow and calf.  I think the last time I heard of a Brown Swiss, they were in LA.  Will have to do some checkin' on that. 

We just got rid of our Jersey with calf.  Willie traded them for a David Brown tractor!  T'is much needed for the mill and it's a great tractor...but I told him I haven't figured out how to milk it yet!   ???  With 6 of 7 kids still at home, it's cheaper to feed cow than buy milk.  Gotta get another one!