alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Motivation.....can't find any lately.  (Read 12584 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Motivation.....can't find any lately.
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
Topic line pretty much says it....and I just don't know why.

Mowed the grass, painted the bathroom(doing a re-model), and even got the groceries.....but I can't get the 'urge' to go and slab wood?  Maybe I'm in one of those slumps?

What do you guys do to stay motivated?

Scott (can't even go fishing) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
Re: Motivation.....can't find any lately.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
Look in the mail box :o :laugh: :laugh:

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »

C'mon down.  I have a LONG list of Motivation.  Then, you can haul some more wood back with you.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:15 AM »
Look in the mail box :o :laugh: :laugh:

That doesn't work, mine are all paid for...never was much for getting credit, or buying on credit.  Normally would rather save cash for a few months(up to a year) and purchase what I need that way.

Most of my paycheck goes into an account for retirement.  SS won't be there for me, I'll have to pay for that myself.  Seems I'm not a 'minority'(unless you consider someone that works and pays their own way a minority), so I can't just live off the guberments tit(and everyone else).....

Scott (did some laundry....tired now) B

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 06:27:22 AM »
C'mon down.  I have a LONG list of Motivation.  Then, you can haul some more wood back with you.  ;D ;D ;D

Cool!  As long as I don't have to fly or ride in a boat, and there can't be any wierd bugs flying around.  Crap, I guess I'll be staying home?

Scott (bugs and snakes) B

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
If you are use to working for someone else in a job getting motivated as a self employed person can be a challenge.

I know after a retiring from the military it was a real challenge to MAKE myself getup and go to work for myself. 

It took a couple years before I really got into a routine that got the job done!

Looking back, I could NEVER go to work for someone else. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »
That might be just the problem...I do work for someone else.  And I try to keep ahead of wood blank demand for my own thing.

The last two weekends, it has happened.  I'm still plenty ahead of the demand, and maybe my mind is just telling me to take it easy for awhile....sort of a mini vacation?

The main bathroom remodel is going quite well....finished painting this AM.  Once it is dry, I'll put the tile in and then start on the lighting and then start on the vanity/sink, mirror, and trim.....finishing up with the toilet(special order, be in in about two weeks).
Garden is growing well, weeds are kickin' my butt!!  But not winning!!!!

Scott (guess I'll get back to it) B

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:36:39 PM »
My motivation right now, is having custody of two great grand kids, as foster parents.   They seem to encourage me to get out of the house for at least 10 to 12 hours a day.   Today was tied to getting another load of Cottonwood.  The self loader weighed in at 87,000 by the scale on the truck.  We left two 24'ers that scaled in at 300 board feet each.  Too much extra weight.  I then had motivation to each lunch fast, in order to meet with a customer and the builder of their wine tasting bar tables, out of Oregon Garry Oak.   Each will be 12' long and approximately 24' wide and 4" thick.  The builder is one of my students I had, my first year of teaching, 42 years ago.

I think we found a good market for the better quality Cottonwood logs, as peelers for plywood filler.   We will be hauling them to Steve McGuire's neighborhood, from the sound of things.