alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: building a 3 point logging winch  (Read 15504 times)

Offline jab73180

• New Contributor
building a 3 point logging winch
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »
hey, im new to the forum.  i thought i would post some pics of the winch i am building.  

a few facts about the winch.  it is a ramsey 15000 lb winch with free spool.  its larger than i needed but all i could find.  i got the idea on a different forum.  it works well but it is large and heavy for the small tractor of my dads.  but it is good to over engineer and eventually get a bigger tractor. 

well thanx for looking and talk to you later.
-Jason
Kubota B7510
Thomas 2411 manual band saw mill
Dolmy PS 540
Dolmy PS 7300

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: building a 3 point logging winch
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:59:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you are doing a great job...are you driving the winch with a larger sprocket then the one on the winch shaft?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:40:37 AM »

Looking good. I need to do something more portable. I don't have a tractor, just a bunch of trees and a mill  ::) ::)

Offline jab73180

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you are doing a great job...are you driving the winch with a larger sprocket then the one on the winch shaft?

I am running a larger gear. Behind that large gear is a hydraulic motor. The difference between the 2 gears is 1.66. 

The only problem is I don't have enough hydraulic flow to the directional valve and motor so it isn't as fast as I was hoping.  A pto pump will fix that.
-Jason
Kubota B7510
Dolmy PS 540
Dolmy PS 7300

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:46:53 PM »
You can use a power steering pump for more fluid push as I have seen quite a few systems like that on several farm operations of different sorts.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline jab73180

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 07:11:17 AM »
You can use a power steering pump for more fluid push as I have seen quite a few systems like that on several farm operations of different sorts.

That's a good idea.  I'm thinking it would have to be a large pump off a dump truck or something.
-Jason
Kubota B7510
Dolmy PS 540
Dolmy PS 7300

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
That brings back memories.  I used a winch off of a duce and a half for my tractors.  I ran the winch with a direct drive to the pto of the tractor and attatched a small arch arangement with a swing grapple hanging down.  I hooked the hydraulics to a third outlet in the tractor to operate the grapple.  The fist job I logged ten log truckloads and only set one chocker.