alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Need help to build a trailer for large logs  (Read 47186 times)

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
Need help to build a trailer for large logs
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
You might need to read this post first: http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,1009.0.html

My sawmill in DR Congo have been upgraded with a new Mobile Dimension Saw 128. I ordered one for sawing logs up to 180 cm in diameter.
We are the only sawmill in the upper part of northern Congo.
The sawmill deliver sawn timber for the local market.

I need to build a trailer for large logs.
The tractor that I have will not make the load but I know about one to buy, a Valmet 128 with 120-130 HP and 4x4.

We do not have shops where we can buy steel. The we can get is scrap steel (truck frames, axels, railways and some profiled steel.
The logs weight is between 4 and 8 metric tons. The diameter is between 1.2 and 1.8 metric meter. The length is 4.5 metric meter.

The sawmill will be stationary but will be moved between locations in the region.

I had a idea to use a disused timber trailer.

See the picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/5037766300/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I need to strengthen the chassis, modify and replace the four axles.

I had also the idea to build one from scratch with two truck axles.
My greatest obstacles is to make the log loading system on the trailer.

I hope that I can get some ideas from you here  :)

Frank
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Pictures: www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Need help to build a trailer for large logs
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:47:44 AM »
Ok, Frank, I am understanding a bit better.  The first thing I would do is try and find a very heavy duty flatbed truck bed or trailer putting a lower axel setup under it with lower profile tires.  With this you could attach your crossfeed system and risers.  You could then have some I beams that dropped down from the side of the trailer and use them to roll your logs onto the bunks you have attached to the bed of the trailer.  You could also attatch hydraulic cyclinders to each of these ramps to pick the log up to place it on the bunks.  You might want to have some log stops to keep the log from rolling into the carrage track or off of the other side of the trailer.  To run the hydraulics, you would have to have a separate hydraulic pump and motor, Like I have with the original hydraulic test mill that Ron Heriman built.  I have the first and did have the second  such mill.  I sold the second  one, a couple of years ago.  The second such mill was set up to saw 26' logs, up to four feet in diameter, on a two axel trailer.

The first mill is set up on a single axel trailer for 18' longs, 4' in diameter.  I have had logs on that mill that weight in excell 5 ton, without any problems. 

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
Ok, Frank, I am understanding a bit better.  The first thing I would do is try and find a very heavy duty flatbed truck bed or trailer putting a lower axel setup under it with lower profile tires.  With this you could attach your crossfeed system and risers.  You could then have some I beams that dropped down from the side of the trailer and use them to roll your logs onto the bunks you have attached to the bed of the trailer.  You could also attatch hydraulic cyclinders to each of these ramps to pick the log up to place it on the bunks.  You might want to have some log stops to keep the log from rolling into the carrage track or off of the other side of the trailer.  To run the hydraulics, you would have to have a separate hydraulic pump and motor, Like I have with the original hydraulic test mill that Ron Heriman built.  I have the first and did have the second  such mill.  I sold the second  one, a couple of years ago.  The second such mill was set up to saw 26' logs, up to four feet in diameter, on a two axel trailer.

The first mill is set up on a single axel trailer for 18' longs, 4' in diameter.  I have had logs on that mill that weight in excell 5 ton, without any problems. 

This is all my fault Frank Pender. I did't explain my problems clearly enough. I hope I can do it here.

I need two kind of trailers.
1) Trailer for the sawmill for only transportation, from location to location. The sawmill will be used as a stationary sawmill.
2) The second trailer will be to transport the logs from the forest to the sawmill site.

Today I don't have any of these two trailers in Congo. I need to build them.
The most important trailer for me now is the log trailer.

In this topic I need help on the Log trailer.

Loading method:
I read your post Frank about loading logs from the side of the trailer. This method is well used in Congo today.
My worry is about safety of the workers and the efficiency. I need at least 2 logs to the sawmill each day.

Can you explain your method of loading logs and maybe adding a couple of pictures?

Building a log trailer:
Did you see the picture of the disused log trailer I linked to in my first post?
I imagined that I could use that disused log trailer after restrengthen it and replaced the 4 axels.
If this is not a good idea I might just build one from scratch using trailer chassis, a couple axles from a smaller truck ect.

Today I have a 72HP Valmet 87 4x2. I'm will check up a 120-130 HP Valmet 128 4x4 later this year in Congo. 

I hope you all understand my shaky English. It might be more steady later on :)
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:13 PM »
This thread might help with some visuals.
http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,120.0.html
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
Did you see the pictures on the MD site that show the trailer?

http://mobilemfg.com/portable-saw-operation.html
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »
I need anyway to start with some thing so I can get the logs out of the jungle.
I guess I will start with a log trailer bought back in Norway in the early 80's.
It's not in a good shape but I guess we can restrengthen it and change the four axles.

Got some pictures here:

Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »
I know I can't see it all but I don't see any turning axles.  With two set of axles one of the sets need to be able to turn or something is going to break or run off the road.   Spring shackles provide a little bit of turning ability but not much.     Could you just get by with one set of tandem axles more toward the center and load the front heavy on the tractor end so it wouldn't bounce off?

Have you considered a logging Arch?

Here's the idea. 

http://www.mistersawmill.com/toppage1.htm

Stevem

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:45:44 AM »
I know I can't see it all but I don't see any turning axles.  With two set of axles one of the sets need to be able to turn or something is going to break or run off the road.   Spring shackles provide a little bit of turning ability but not much.     Could you just get by with one set of tandem axles more toward the center and load the front heavy on the tractor end so it wouldn't bounce off?

Have you considered a logging Arch?

Here's the idea. 

http://www.mistersawmill.com/toppage1.htm

We have two smaller truck axles with tandem wheels that we consider to cut in half and replace the old dysfunction axles. Doing this way we can use the seesaw function back on the trailer.

I have consider making an arch before but it have to be huge in size. The logs weighting between 4 and 8 metric tons.

The pictures below shows some of the logs:

Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
WOW!  I envy what your doing.  I see pictures like this of hard working people doing what it takes to survive and wish we could just throw our polititions in the ocean and start over! 

I would contact http://www.logrite.com and see if they will make you a Congo Cant Hook! 

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »
See my signature for link to a lot of pictures from my work in Congo and the town Bondo. Almost every picture is commented in English.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
I'll tell you what that man is as good as any I have ever seen with a chainsaw ;D

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
I'll tell you what that man is as good as any I have ever seen with a chainsaw ;D
A cut like that is his signature. He is awesome. He worked for us for 2 years.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 05:23:40 PM »
You need some Peavy's to roll those logs around.  Let me know if you want to order any and will see what it would cost to ship them to you.  We have a 6' Mega hook that would really be of help on the larger logs.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
You need some Peavy's to roll those logs around.  Let me know if you want to order any and will see what it would cost to ship them to you.  We have a 6' Mega hook that would really be of help on the larger logs.
Are you sure about that Frank? For rolling the logs we are sawing we are using two mechanical jacks. Please send me a picture on that 6' Mega hook with the grip.
I have a little doubt that the Peavy's can lighten the work on rolling the logs on the trailer. But please convince me. I need to think out side the box sometimes to find better solutions than I already got.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
Go to www.Logrite.com and take a look at the various tools, we have available.  I have sold a number of the Mega hooks and folks have no problems in moving 4' plus logs around.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »
Go to www.Logrite.com and take a look at the various tools, we have available.  I have sold a number of the Mega hooks and folks have no problems in moving 4' plus logs around.

Is it this one you are thinking of?
http://store.logrite.com/mh078.html
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
Thats it but it will grip bigger logs than they claim! 

I would contact them and tell them what your dealing with and I bet they would CUSTOM make one for you. 

They are great people to work with! Tell them Frank and this forum sent you to them! 

I WOULD NOT try to load logs on a trailer with them unless the trailer was the same hight as the log.  Do not try to load logs up a ramp by hand!  People get killed doing that with one minor mistake!

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 08:29:09 PM »
Thats it but it will grip bigger logs than they claim!  

I would contact them and tell them what your dealing with and I bet they would CUSTOM make one for you.  

They are great people to work with! Tell them Frank and this forum sent you to them!  

I WOULD NOT try to load logs on a trailer with them unless the trailer was the same hight as the log.  Do not try to load logs up a ramp by hand!  People get killed doing that with one minor mistake!

Thank you Kirk for your thoughts. It would be nice to know what that hook will cost.
The logs are weighting more than the trailer. I just need to control the trailer and the log. I'm thinking of making a good support on the loading side of the trailer down to the ground. I can use 5-tons mechanical jacks fitted in a housing under the trailer so they won't slip.
I was also thinking of a winching system fixed to strong enough trees.
As I mentioned in the beginning: The workers health and safety has first priority.

The pictures above shows a trailer that can be loaded from the end. This is an option that I have and wanted in the first place.
I wanted to make a lifting arch in the middle of the axles and add support to the front.
This way I can lift the log up behind and use a mechanical winch in front to pull it forward together with the tackle on the lifting arch.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »
$176.00, plus shipping. 

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 04:08:02 AM »
Wanted to update you all on the trailer we wanted to build in Bondo, DR Congo.
You can see the pictures of the chassis we used early in this topic.
I did not have the chance be there and build it myself.
My colleague Willy did the job.
There is a couple of things that I would do different but in general its functional.
I'll get my chance later to fix some of it.
But its not easy to make something like than that trailer when lacking right materials and tools.

Our MD sawmill is now stationary and working well. Hoping to make a building for it before the rain season kicks in late April.

Don't forget to check out my sawmill pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/

Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »
I hope you all have read this updated topic. Didn't want to make a new one. Thought it was better to continue on this one.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:54 AM »
From the last photo, I am wondering how you got that log on the trailer. ???

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
From the last photo, I am wondering how you got that log on the trailer. ???
We use a mechanical winch to pull the log on to the trailer. The method is not yet the best one but I'll have to work on that. The method is simple but a bit dangerous.
This log is weighing about 8 tons / 17600 lbs.
This was one of our first attempt on loading log. Later on we made some 6x4 for the log to roll on and it became easier.

You can see more pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/sets/72157629191567903/with/6826675377/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:51:48 AM by LeFranck »
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
Removed
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »
I am very impressed.   ;D  Out here, we call that parbuckling.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
Have you seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T9dz-lvMY&feature=related

Better steerage with the two tie points on the cabling I'd think.
Stevem

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 08:57:32 AM »
Have you seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T9dz-lvMY&feature=related

Better steerage with the two tie points on the cabling I'd think.

I agree with you on that. I had the same thought and will tell the crew to do so.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »
Added a video on Youtube.
Unloading a big log manually:

Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
oops
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:01:12 PM by Stevem »
Stevem

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 10:00:21 PM »
Take a look at this picture closely and note the stakes that pivot.  The cable toward the bottom of the stake is hooked on the other side with a cam set up for release of the stake.  When it pivots down it hangs in front of the tire(s) and acts as a protector. 

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/loeb/pacific_log_4.jpg

I have seen small trailers use this idea but the stakes were longer and were used as the loading/unloading ramps.  Probably wouldn't work for the size logs you have because of the weight of the stake needed.
Stevem

Offline Braki

• New Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 04:56:38 AM »
Those are realy large logs there. I am using some standard equipment, so it's preaty easy for me. Constructing this kind of things must be hard. Now i think that i am lucky one - i can just use some standard heavy machinery

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 03:18:44 AM »
I have pics of you doin the same thing at franks...are we hard workers too ;)
WOW!  I envy what your doing.  I see pictures like this of hard working people doing what it takes to survive and wish we could just throw our polititions in the ocean and start over! 

I would contact http://www.logrite.com and see if they will make you a Congo Cant Hook! 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
Holy Crap, Buzz is alive! Where you been Don?  Don't let the rats get you down and keep fighting the good fight!

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
Roger, wilco,
Focusing on the positives here at a little more than 60 degrees lattitude...meaning soldatna

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »
Did you move?   

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
I did but my stuff didnt...kinda like Harold :)
I just have toooo much to do here to waste any more time....