alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: WANTED: Dual tooth setter  (Read 17000 times)

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
WANTED: Dual tooth setter
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
I'm looking for a dual tooth setter, preferrably manual crank, since we be po' folk.   ;) I'm in the E. Texas area so one a little closer to home would be preferred.  Longer distances would require more S&H and would be considered if the total price is right.  Thank you!   ;D
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: WANTED: Dual tooth setter
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:38:58 PM »
 Some blades are cheap steel, and, have teeth that are softer or harder, so, setting 2 teeth at once might not be a good idea. How will you know if a tooth is not set near correctly ??

I made a dual tooth setter, and, only used it a few times, because of this.  I have set a bunch of blades, using the single tooth WM setter. I will see if I still have photos of what I made. It was copied from the TimberWolf design, I believe it was, out of New York City.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:52:25 PM by HaroldCR »

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:33 AM »
The setters I've looked at are mostly automated and the set is checked...automatically?  But, then these types are around $1000 or more, which is why I'm looking for a used one.  We were thinking a dual tooth setter would just be a little quicker. 
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »
so did you find one
mine works but you cant check how much you set
from cutters choice
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Aunt B

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
No Mike, I didn't find one.  We ordered a new set of blades and I just sharpen a handful of times, then re-order again. 

Just before Christmas, Willie was "celebrating" and feeling rather good when he told me that he was gonna buy his Baby a dual-toothed, automated setter! A GOOD one! I think that's the sweetest thing I've ever been told!   ;D  Yeah, I know...we're both messed up!  LOL
There is no try. There is do and do not.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »
Jump on to Woodmizer Resharp program.  If you use their blades you can send them back to them and they will set and sharpen for $6.50 a blade!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »

What about her customers, Kirk ??? Can't send 'em all to WM.  ;D

Offline Aunt B

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:42:58 AM »
I know about WM resharp program.  We were using TK resharp.  The blades were NEVER cleaned and sometimes not all that sharp.  Even with my limited knowledge of sharpening and setting, Willie says my blades are sharper and cut more lumber than resharps from TK.  Plus, on our limited budget, it's cheaper for me to do it.  I must also admit to enjoying the process.  Don't have any customers for resharpening....yet.  Someday..........
There is no try. There is do and do not.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
so did you find a setter you like
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson