alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

General Category > General Discussion

It's official

(1/1)

Stevem:
Was reading in an annual economic report from the State of Oregon that the average return for the softwood mills in the state is 2+ bdf of lumber produced for every 1 bdf bought.
My understanding is three things (besides fat thumb scalers) are the major reasons:
1   thin kerf band blades
2.  nominal sizes smaller than unit sold 
3.  accuracy of sawing thus needing less planning.

Years ago I'd heard about one mill that could cut so close nad smooth their studs only needed sanding but 2 for 1? 

Kirk Allen:
I know the carbide tipped bansaw blades I tried left a board so smooth it was as if it came off the planer.  It was .032 thick and offered great results but the cost of it made it prohibitave to keep using. 

Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner":
The mill, when Willamette owned it, was the considered the most efficient mill in the world.  Their overrun was well over 200% at that time. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version