alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Flywheel  (Read 12111 times)

Offline macec3(TX)

• New Contributor
Flywheel
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
I have a Meadows hand set circular mill. Powered by a 354T perkins engine with about 140 HP.  Sometime I need a little extra power to hold the saw RPMs.
Does anyone have pictures of a flywheel with belts from the saw mandrel to drive the flywheel?  Heard of these flywheels being called bullwheels.  They give the saw some extra inertia when necessary, to help keep the saw from losing RPM.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Flywheel
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:45 AM »
I would probably call Meadows and see what their guy says about it....they are still in business, or were a few years ago. I bought parts for my #1 from them, and they were helpful.

In realtime application, I don't know how well a flywheel would work in a sustained cut....might help in a short pull....but if you are having trouble maintaining blade RPM, you need more power. Dropping RPM is a sure way to get an overheated blade, and cupping...and worse problems.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Flywheel
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 06:27:39 AM »
Flywheels help on the short term but in a long cut they can act as extra load as your engine is trying to bring the flywheel and the saw back to speed. When I had my shingle mill flywheels were a great help as it was a short term load with time between cuts for the engine to catch its breath. Frank C.