alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

Ever use One?

Any good?
0 (0%)
Want mine?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Bookman's Band Mill ??????  (Read 17550 times)

Offline Eddiebo

• Contributor
Bookman's Band Mill ??????
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
Anyone ever used/purchased a Bookman's Band Sawmill? (WHY???????)

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
Re: Bookman's Band Mill ??????
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
Never herd of bookmans band mill.

Offline Eddiebo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
Kinda wish I hadn't either  :'(

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
Share your story!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Eddiebo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
Without outright bashing the mill and builder, my advice would be to pass on this one. IMHO I havent been able to get this thing to cut true, nor have I been sawing as much as I have been replacing bolts, and refabbing parts. Mill came with rubber V-casters that lasted about a week. I had a buddy machine me some wheels out of aluminum. Lots of vibration, and very light weight carrage. No comparison to the Norwood I used to have or anything else I have seen. Saws very wavy. Adjuster bolts break off while trying to loosen them. Replaced the tensioner bolt, blade clutch assembly,  wheels, Bolts holding electric start housing, welds broke on wheel housing, and Im tired of listing......... God bless Mr. Bookman, but this aint right. Engine runs great, and haS power to mill anything if you can get through a full log without working on, or replacing something. Bought it in May 2012 and have gotten through 7 logs successfully. THAT'S SOME KIND OF RECORD !!!!! Going to revamp this mill and practaclly rebuild and beef up, but if that's the worst thing going on in my life, then I'm still blessed. Frustrated, but Blessed..... Oh and it came with no instructions

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »
Without outright bashing the mill and builder, my advice would be to pass on this one. IMHO I havent been able to get this thing to cut true, nor have I been sawing as much as I have been replacing bolts, and refabbing parts. Mill came with rubber V-casters that lasted about a week. I had a buddy machine me some wheels out of aluminum. Lots of vibration, and very light weight carrage. No comparison to the Norwood I used to have or anything else I have seen. Saws very wavy. Adjuster bolts break off while trying to loosen them. Replaced the tensioner bolt, blade clutch assembly,  wheels, Bolts holding electric start housing, welds broke on wheel housing, and Im tired of listing......... God bless Mr. Bookman, but this aint right. Engine runs great, and haS power to mill anything if you can get through a full log without working on, or replacing something. Bought it in May 2012 and have gotten through 7 logs successfully. THAT'S SOME KIND OF RECORD !!!!! Going to revamp this mill and practaclly rebuild and beef up, but if that's the worst thing going on in my life, then I'm still blessed. Frustrated, but Blessed..... Oh and it came with no instructions

Oops!  Maybe better to just scrap the mill and start over?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »
Wow, that's enough to make one give up on saw milling. I've Had my woodmizer going on 7 years now milling full time and had to replace one guide dollar barring a few weeks ago. Nock on wood.

Offline Eddiebo

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
I ordered plans from William Rake for his simple sawmill, and think I am going to take the engine off of the bookman's mill and build a simple (Bill Rake Mill). May try and make a trailored mill after revamping the frame, welding, and a few designs on the Bookmans mill. I have a boat trailor sitting, and will put it to use by making a mobile mill to haul around to small jobs. Good thing is I have a design frame already !!!!!!!!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »
You might check here for parts:  http://linnlumber.com/
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Eddiebo

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
Sold the Bookman's Mill !!!!!!! ;D

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »
Smart move