alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: WoodMizer LT10 in Hickory  (Read 17829 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
WoodMizer LT10 in Hickory
« on: November 21, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
Didn't get any during photo's, just after the clean up.  Sorry, but I only had one(1) cup of coffee before getting started today......
Cut up two(2) nasty pieces of Cherry, had some okay grain in it, but wasn't really anything super special.  The crotch pieces went with John, I have enough small stuff to cut into blank and whatnot to last for a good while!!  Then we both eyeballed the smallest chunk of Hickory......a little effort(always good on a day off) and the chunk was on the mill.  For a mostly dry piece of Hickory, I was expecting something a lot harder then what I encountered.  But I won't complain, it cutt like butter!

Anyway, some highlights!
Close-up first.....eye candy!

Had to do a little trimming on the knots I had, and the ends were cracked enough that I decided to just lop them off and not even bother with them.  Will make someone some good firewood....for free.

Some semi-close ups....meduim eye-candy!

And the group shot!

Special thanks to John for giving a helping hand, sure makes it easier to move them things around the yard.  And I hope you find room for these new pieces in a dry place!

Scott (had fun, little sore) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: WoodMizer LT10 in Hickory
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
Some awe. Oops, I mean awesome.

I got just the place to dry if you can't find a place.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
Eye candy just about sums it up.  You've got everything from spalting on the outside to heartwood in the middle.  Someone's going to really want those boards. You know you've got 'em hooked when they just look at the boards and ask "how much?"  Don't overlook turning stock for some of the crotch wood if it's too small for the mill.  Thanks for posting.  Around hickory usually goes for firewood, but I can see I've got to re-assess the situation.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »
Update:

Just wanted to let ya'll know.....took four days to sell these on my website(except for one piece-I had already whittled it into 3/4sq x 5-1/4 pen blanks).  The fella is going to drive up from Jackson, MS and bring two small pieces of oak and have me cut those into 2" thick slabs for making table tops of some sort. 
Not bad for a few hours of playing on the little mill(it is just a hobby, and I still have to get rid of the timber I cut to make room for more).  So as soon as it's loaded and headed to it's new home. I can cut some more!!!  Hate running out of room, maybe I can talk the wife into letting me use the spare bedroom(noone ever goes in there >:D)

Scott (like that website more every day) B

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »
Got another log up on the mill, made a few passes the other day.  Figured, I'd just add the photo's to this topic....same type of wood!

It'll fit, with a little whittling using the MS250 18"!  Barely!!

This will be another fine log for some slabs!!

Thanks for looking!

Scott (felt old after wiggling that one) B

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
I cant help but laugh!  Your pictures remind me of my place when I lived in the suburbs.  Trailers full of logs, logs in the yard, lumber stacked in the yard etc.   :D :D

Clearly it wont be long until you outgrow that place and you will be looking for a place out in the country!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:13:56 AM »
And it looks like you've almost outgrown that LT-10.  Looks like you've got the mill maxed out for size of log!   ;D
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
Yeah, the yard is pretty small and I'm pretty surprised Code Enforcement hasn't shown up and tried anything stupid.  Figure the logs staying on the trailer is a 'smart thing', move them once from the 'field' and then the next time they need to be moved is to the mill?  Maybe I'm thinking like a lazy fella, but I ain't getting any younger!

The mill being what it is, keeps me from doing anything that will require me buying a FEL!  Right now, I don't see moving and I certainly don't see spending the cha-ching on something just to move giant timber around with....that's what the chainsaw mill is good for(plus, I get to leave the mess somewhere else).

Was going to do more today, but I had a list of things to do that couldn't be ignored any longer.....always something!

Scott (it's supposed to be fun, not work) B