alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Oklahoma Sawyers  (Read 14955 times)

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
Oklahoma Sawyers
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:40:58 PM »
Hi, all! I was wondering if there are any sawyers in Oklahoma that would let me come watch and learn what I can about running a sawmill. I'm thinking about buying one, and would like to learn all i can before spending all that $$$$. Thanks!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Oklahoma Sawyers
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:15:44 AM »

What mills are you interested in? Most Dealers have a customer list, and, might give you contact for some of their customers in your area. I know WoodMizer and TimberKing do that, along with Peterson and Lucas dealers.

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »
Well, I'm new enough to have no idea what saw I want.

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
What do you suggest? Is Norwood a good brand?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
 You are asking what is a good car for me to buy ??

What will you be cutting ? Hard wood, softwood, big logs, medium sized (20" dia). or smaller sizes? Do you want portable or stay at home ?

How long will the logs be ?

Will you be sawing mostly Red Cedar logs ?

Many people have Norwoods.  How old are you ? Do you need hydraulics to help load and turn logs ?

Woodmizer LT-10 and LT-15 are excellent manual mills. Do you expect to do any custom sawing ?

Do you even know what swing blade mills are ?

Lots of questions to be answered before we can give any decent advice.  NO, I'm not picking on you.  :laugh: :laugh:

Personally, I don't like the typical manual mills. IF you get part way down the log, and need to back out, you are trapped by the framework around the sawhead. I prefer the 1 open sided sawhead of the larger WoodMizers. Liked it so much, I built an oversized one, so we could saw 36" DIA logs.

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
I don't think you're picking on me at all! That was actually a very informative line of questions! I hadn't really considered a lot of that.

Lets see, I live in Ada, OK, and the forest in these parts are largely hard wood like oak and hickory.

Most logs I'll have access to will be 30" and down. Probably between 10' and 15'.

Not much cedar.

Portable would be nice. Can I just mount one to a trailer? Are there any drawbacks to a portable sawmill?

I'm 28, should be able to handle the logs my self.

What is custom milling?

No idea what a swing blade mill is.

Yes, I'm very green.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »

Too bad you don't have access to a lot of good sized Red Cedar. I would be interested in working a deal with you.  ;D

OK, a trailer by itself, is not a great way to make a portable mill. Build a nice strong frame to fasten the tracks to, OR, build that frame AS the tracks, and, just put the sawhead on it. Done.

Custom sawing is sawing for others, at their location. Portable Custom Sawing.

Go to Linnlumber.com, and look at what they have for sale. You can buy parts, the sawhead, or, anything in between. I still don't like the legs on both sides of the log, when sawing. That's just me.

Do you have welding-cutting machines and experience ?  If not, you are severely limited in what you can buy-use. Oak and Hickory are heavy, so, how you going to get them loaded on the mill, especially if it's up off the ground much ??  Hydraulic loader would be NICE. We built ours as we built the mill.

Might I suggest you go to WoodMizer site, and use their owners list to see if anyone is in your locale. If not, watch the videos. Watch as many videos as you can. GO see a mill running. Look for shows of logging and Agri stuff, and, maybe there will be a mill or 3 at the shows.

On this forum, at the top of the home page, is a Sawmill Trader Logo. Look for a used mill. Sawmill-exchange is another good sawmill trader website. Look for a basic Woodmizer LT40 HYD(raulic) mill. Buy one and do all the maintenance it needs. Then, you will be familiar with the workings and parts, AND, have a decent mill right from the start. IF the economy improves, the value of a good used mill will go back up. Right now, it's a buyers market.

The mill we built, we hauled over 400 miles one way, to saw for a good friend of ours. Then, back to the river to saw the sinker logs, AND do a little cutting for the locals. We constantly hauled it 180 miles, back home, to saw for a few regular customers, especially in the winter, when the river was too cold to dive for logs. North Central Fl. Home was Vero beach, Fl. Due south. and warmer.  ;D ;D

For us, there was no disadvantage to a portable mill. We HAD to move it, regularly.

At your age, with a decent income, I would not hesitate to buy a LT40 HYD, if I had the possibility of a market for lumber, but, ESPECIALLY if I could make a go at Custom Sawing. You need 'sperense for that, though.  ;D ;D

At the top of the home page, find the Logo for TurboSaw. That's what a Swingmill looks like, on steroids. I have one of Carl Petersons early models in an 8" blade, down here in Costa Rica right now, and, am building a small log processing bandmills machine, VERY SOON. I have a frame to cut up and redesign. It has the tyrack runners already welded on.

We have a small tree farm and need to start thinning. Just the wife and me, and we are into out 60's, so, whatcha waitin for ??  ;D :laugh:

If I have not covered everything you wanted, or, you get more questions, just holler. I'm usually around.

OH how do you plan on sharpening the blades ???  ;D

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »
Wow. A lot of great info! Thanks!

What about chainsaw mills? Are they good for anything?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »

Don't quit yer day job.  ::) ;D ;D :laugh: :laugh: I made 6" X 8" X 24 foot (4) pieces beams for our river logging barge, all with a chainsaw. Be sure to pack a lunch, and dinner, and LOTS of Coffee.  :laugh: :laugh:

It would beat buying lumber, I guess.

Forgot to ask the FIRST question. How much dough you wanna throw that this idea ?? ;D ;D

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
Well, around $5000. That what I would like to spend, anyway.

I'm not really looking to go into business, though if the opportunity arises......
The main reason I want a mill, is so I can build a house. I want to do a lot of wood work inside, and it's far from cheap to have someone do it for you. I've got construction experience, so all I need is the material.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »

Search the links I gave you. You don't NEED an LT40 HYD, YET.  :laugh: :laugh:

Do look for videos, though. They will help, immensely.

Good Luck.  8)

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 01:27:29 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Rkez

• New Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
Kenny,
I have a Timberking B20 west of Geary, Ok. You are welcome to come and check it out if its not too far for you. I don't saw a lot of hardwoods, it's mostly cedar but you can get an idea of how it works.  Just shoot an email if you are interested.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
Kenny,
I have a Timberking B20 west of Geary, Ok. You are welcome to come and check it out if its not too far for you. I don't saw a lot of hardwoods, it's mostly cedar but you can get an idea of how it works.  Just shoot an email if you are interested.

Selling it?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Rkez

• New Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »
No sir, I'm not selling it.  Just an offer to let Kenny watch/run one.  I learned through trial and error and butchered several logs in the process.  I thought I might save him a few steps and maybe a few logs.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
I sold my big Meadows a few years back, but I still have a Mr. Sawmill electric mill...now the downside is the capacity, 18 inches, and the length, about 10 feet, (but that is expandable)....but what is nice is this: It is inside the shop. It is electric, and I have never had a real "power" issue as far as cutting.

My ideal mill would be an electric, that can be operated of a generator, and a B20 would be a great candidate.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »
Kenney, welcome to the forum.  I live in southwest MO, about 20 miles south of Joplin.  Looks like about a 4.5 hr drive from Ada.  You are welcome to come over and play with my Norwood MX34 sawmill.  I'm always looking for some free labor!  I cut oak, hedge, sycamore, walnut, persimmon, cherry, cedar... about anything that grows on  stump.

I've had the mill for a year and a half.  Good cutting machine, easy to work with, very portable, and good service.  I've maxed out the mill with 34" diameter logs several times, and it handles them fine.  You can always add hydraulics to this mill, if you decide you want them.  Norwood has a referral service that can put you in touch with a sawyer closer to you.

We built our passive solar timber frame home with logs milled from our property, but that was over 30 years ago when band mills were almost unknown.  The sawyer had a big old circle mill... scared the daylights out of me just to work around it.  Was sure glad when affordable band mills came out.  Big step forward!
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the offer and the welcome, Post!
I found someone closer to me in Lexington, about 45 min. north of me. I'm excited to learn what I can about milling.

If you're ever down around my part of the country, Post, holler at me.