alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sawing A large Ponderosa Pine By Steam Power  (Read 15371 times)

Offline MrShoptaw

• New Contributor
Sawing A large Ponderosa Pine By Steam Power
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
I just had the pleasure of videoing a large Ponderosa Pine being sawn at the all steam powered Phillips Brothers Mill.  This, they believe, was the largest they have attempted at the mill.  It measured 60" at the widest part of the stump.  The tree experienced extensive storm damage last winter, making it necessary to take the remaining part before all was lost.  It was mostly sawn into large planks and will go to a specialty home and furniture builder.  

Sorry for the length of the video.  I had a hard time finding parts to cut from it.  Hope you enjoy it.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:16:36 PM by Kirk Allen »

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
Re: Sawing A large Ponderosa Pine By Steam Power
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
That's one hell of a set of tongs

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:24:16 AM »
Enjoyed it! That is one of the best videos I have seen on old iron, hope you post more like this.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:46:09 AM by joasis »
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline MrShoptaw

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »
Thank you joasis, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I've had the pleasure of videoing various operations of this mill over the last few years.  Most of them are on my YouTube Channel and some are posted on the PhillipsBrothersMill.com web site.

Offline chopperdr47

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:07:02 AM »
That was fascinating. My coffee break lasted longer than I expected it to. That is the kind of mill that built this country.

I looked around at their website. They produce some really nice material.
If ya aint got what ya need, use what ya got

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »
Maybe its a west coast thing but I've never heard of running water on a circular saw. I liked their use of the winch and cable to turn the large logs. Love to see the old machinery still putting out. Frank C.