alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Woodlot Management 101  (Read 12731 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Woodlot Management 101
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »
We here lots of sad stories about landowners getting ripped off by less than ethical loggers and think a few pointers may help your future logging efforts be more profitable.

For starters, not all loggers are crooks. Its kind of like any field.  It only takes one or two to give all the rest a bad name. So for all you loggers out there that are above board we thank you!  ;)

I believe the most important step any landowner can take to ensure the most value is abtained from their woodlot is to contact their state forester.  Most Department of Natural Resource offices will have a designated Forester for your area. 

I know in Illinois the District Forester will inventory you land for ZERO $$$$ and place your property into a forest management program that can earn you money for taking care of it as well as more money during future timber harvest. 

The key is establishing that vital relationship with the forester.  I do not reccomend using a forester that is tied to a logging company as more often than not we see less than ethical transactions take place.  Besides, our own District Forester does it for free and that was his advice as well.   ;D

If you have any other tips for the Landowner who would like to profit from his timber please contribute. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
Re: Woodlot Management 101
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:06:55 AM »
our state MO. forseter came out (summer 04 )as a part of the Mo. dept of conservation
tax paid program. he signed me up as a certified tree farmer, he divided my timber into 7 areas with a different plan for each to improve timber, wildfife,etc. i was not pushed to have it logged. i did make it clear i was only interested in self logging as to many bad storys. he even came & painted the recommended TSI removals & again at my decression verry good experence.
i been to the certified tree farm state gatterings were they give out awards & pat people on the back with plackes , it appered to me that its run or financed heavly by the mo. products co., that apperes to be run/ owned by the big mills i have been approached at the show each year by a lady looking to secure logging rights & i say i logg my own as i own a saw mill.
 so info is availabe for free & they have a good magazine ($18. a mo)with lots of info  that i enjoy but after beeing asked more than once for a harvest im staying on my toes, follow the money as Birky says.http://www.timbergreenforestry.com/
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:29:12 AM »
Very true.  I was a logging contractor for 10 years.  I could show and tell you some horror stories.  I took over several logging jobs after other contractors were thrown out.  Sad.  It's pretty basic stuff really.  Treat the land and landowner like you would want to be treated.  I never advertised once.  Every job was a referral from a past landowner.  It gave me a lot of pride.  Unfortunately, logging seems to have a lot of fly by night operators that can do a lot of damage very quickly. 

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:35:59 AM »
my inlaws had a logger in there robinson ,ill place around 04 it still looks today about the same 1&1/2' deep rutts, trail trees with hide (bark) tore off logs left never picked up smaller trees runover by equipment & this guy came recomened
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »
There are some real crooks in that area and one that comes to mind is the worst in the state.   :(
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!