alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What brand of saw do you use?  (Read 48193 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
What brand of saw do you use?
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:37:36 PM »
I currently have three primary saws. A Husky 359 that I cut small branches with, a 372XP for felling average size trees and bucking logs, and then my baby, the 385XP with a 28" bar.  I use the 385 mostly for felling and bucking on the big ones. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
Re: What brand of saw do you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »
1964 homelight C5 24" bar
064 stihl               30" bar   need a fuel tank for it
260 pro stihl          20" bar  this one i use the most
craftsman              18" bar   this one hangs out at the mill for trimming
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Online joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »
My primary saw is my baby, a Stihl 440 magnum, 24 and 36 inch bars...I have never had to use the 36, and the power and reliability is awsome.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »
I am with you Jay on the 044 mags.  I have two and run only 36" bars; I also have a 66 with a 36" bar and two o25s for small stuff and when there is a great deal of small limbing.

Of course, I have some collector saws; two, two man macs, an old Atlas meat saw along with a couple old macs.   I am not sure of their sizes.

Oh, I almost forgot/  I have about 35 felling, bucking and ripping misery whips hanging on the wall of the planer building.  They range in lengths from 4' to 8'
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:13:54 PM by Frank Pender »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:16:15 PM »
Just for you Frank! 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:32:59 PM by KEA »

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 12:20:43 PM »
Stihl pro saws.  May switch to Husky or Jonsered in the future due to higher crank speed and standard grip heaters at the local dealers
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
I've got a Mac 10-10 that I bought new.  No chain brake (came that way), 20" bar (biggest they make for it), and I upgraded it to electronic ignition so it idles now, and it didn't 20 years ago.  It was the first survival tool I and the wife got.  Wanted to be a hippy, I did, I did!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:43 PM »
I have heard a lot of good things about those old Mac's!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »
Yes, just for me, Kirk.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »
Maybe an old topic, but nothing like a good old topic!

My saw of choice is a Stihl 360 with 28" bar...ripping chain/24" bar standard for bucking and felling.

Scott (little Mini-Mac for odd jobs) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:20 PM »
i use a 260 pro most time 20" bar
then theres the 064 w/ 30" bar
& 1964 homelight C5 w/ 19" bar at 40 lbs
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »
044 with 36" bar.  I am having an 084 built with a 4' bar.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 07:54:27 AM »
We got just Stihl.
The models are
2 qty 090-AV
2 qty 070
1 qty MS-880

We got several bars 21'', 25'', 36'', 47'' and 59''
We have tried out both Rollomatic and Duromatic. We prefer Duromatic on bars up to 47''.

The 090-AV is the beast and the favorite. More aggressive than the "newer" MS-880.
The production of 090-AV ended in 2010. Too sad   :-[
MS-880 is just a pinked up 080.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Pictures: www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/

Offline BigShotATL

• New Contributor
    • Atlanta Area Tree Service
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
Stihl...duh.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 08:49:26 AM »
Mostly Husq- Even my little 455 (54 c.c.) will pull a 20" chain, if I don't push it.  My 365 mustly runs a Lewis winch.  Just got an old 2100 for chain saw milling.  I use it to slab and break down the big stuff that won't fit on my Norwood band mill.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline kpantherpro

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »
august is a good month to buy a chainsaw if your looking for one, lotsa deals out there, just make sure whatever you get if it's used you can still get parts, i have a stihl 440 usually run a 25" bar on it, but have a 36" that came with it, i love that saw lotsa power and just a runner, had a husky 2100 which was also  a great saw but sold it, gonna miss it, but just picked up a husky 3120 33" bar and a 455 the 3120 is a beast 120cc, just milled some cedar with it and it ran great, the 455 i haven't run yet, and yes i have a little wild thing 20" bar 38-40cc, the only saw bought new 8 years ago, my wife at the time got it because her favorite color is purple i wouldn't mill anything big with it but for cleaning up my logs before milling it's good at that, as well as firewood, it goes through that quick too, you really can't go wrong with husky or stihl and alot of millers i talk too seem to love thier old mcculloughs as well...

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
Might as well update the saw of choice for me.

Sold the Stihl 360.  Don't get me wrong, the saw worked just fine....just didn't need a 'meduim saw'.

Using the following saws pretty regular.

Stihl MS250 - can limb a tree pretty quick.  Lightest of the saws I run, and it sure is easy to do so all day!
Stihl 064 - running a big bar for easier felling.  I was told it is a dual ported saw, but she is getting old.  Might need to get a bore kit for it - loosing power when she gets warmed up.
Jonesred 2186 - Was the wife's uncles' saw.....I received it after he passed(RIP).
Jonsered 2094 - Same as above.  Saw has no limit to available power.  Has to be the best saw I've ever handled....wearing a 32"

Reminds me, I really need to find some big timber for slabbing....just to put some gas through these warriors!

Scott (flippy caps suck though) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline wassawmill

• New Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
well i do not do much harvesting myself. my big saw is a husky 455. i do a limited amount of milling with it with a 24 inch bar but it is being strained at that

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
Resurrecting this old  thread for kicks , and 'cause I just got here...

I got 4 saws, 3 Stihl and an Echo...

Stihl MS362, my newest and go to guy.

Stihl MS260... need to tear into it and get it running good again

Echo CS301 little top handle guy

And a Stihl HT103... Chain saw on a stick!!  Works great!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
Well,, Since A.O. piped in on this thread, and seeing how it is an older one, it makes perfect sense to update,  well with some of the latest changes to  many of the makes and models.  I have not changed much,  I'm still using the Stihl 310 and 362, I'm missing my 460 mag,  I just hope whoever has it appreciates it,, it was a pretty good on for bigger butt ends and falling, so since I have no need in that line any more, and not milling, I reckon its all good. 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
Well the thread was only 5 years abandoned...  ;D

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »
 :laugh: funny aint' it?  It got my interest, mainly to see whats new and improved, I see that Kirk like the Husky's, and I have some friends in the TSI line of work, they were die hard Stihl, but after a bad run with one particular 361, they went to Husky, one is the regular style carb like we know, the newer one has that computer chip thing that seems to work really good, both are hawgs in sawing quickly.  One is the 372 I believe the other 395?  anyway they like them with no complaints in over a year or so..

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
As long as we are restarting it, I will join in.

I tend to go with Stihl for my saws. 
I have an MS 026 and a  MS 460R for my chain saws and an FS 450 and a smaller FS 250 for my clearing saws.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 05:31:26 PM »
And remember I make no $$ with this stuff, just personal farm related equipment.

Oh, and if furu is including clearing saws, I've an FS 250 also...cut millions and millions of itty bitty cedars with it when I was in Oklahoma!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 06:15:45 PM »
I had to look up the clearing saws, they look much like my husky 225r trimmer, which did come with the blade attachment.  It is for sure obsolete, no chance on getting original parts for the cutter head, so I had to buy one of the newer styles that uses the nylon knives, they work, but don't last. anyway good info for sure.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
You can get different heads for them. Mine came with the saw blade (like a circular saw blade) but I also have a 3 point brush blade good for tall heavy weeds and grass, and also has a string trimmer head which is what it wears most of the time these days anyway. Nice to be able to put the big dog stuff on if needed though.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 02:23:03 AM »
I had to look up the clearing saws, they look much like my husky 225r trimmer, which did come with the blade attachment.  It is for sure obsolete, no chance on getting original parts for the cutter head, so I had to buy one of the newer styles that uses the nylon knives, they work, but don't last. anyway good info for sure.

The nylon would not last very long as I go after a 4-6 inch stem while doing PCT.  Just doing site prep of vine maple would destroy anything other than the chisel blade.  I do like the tri brush blade for some lighter stuff.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »
The nylon would not last very long as I go after a 4-6 inch stem while doing PCT.  Just doing site prep of vine maple would destroy anything other than the chisel blade.  I do like the tri brush blade for some lighter stuff.

So you will cut 4-6 inchers?? 2 or maybe 3 is about as big as I've done.. My 4-6 inchers get a chainsaw or pushed out with the tractor. And yeah that tri blade is nice..

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »
When doing PCT you just thin out the ones you don't want/need and then drop them where they are to decay back into the soil. No need to push anything out, as it is forest land that is receiving a TSI prescription, not total clearing for some other use like pasture land or building. Obviously when they are up at 6 inches you have to do a cut from both sides as the depth of the blade does not cut it (pun intended) but smaller you can cut them pretty much in one pass.  In most cases I would say that at 6 inches you have waited a little long to do the thinning but I have seen stands that for soil difference reasons have had areas that have grown much more vigorously and have produced stems that are easily 5-6 inches where the other areas of the stand are still down at 4 inches and under in general.
The problem then is having to thin trees that are obviously that robust but when an entire area has had growth of that nature, that fast, you have to thin it or the growth will be self limiting pretty quickly and then you have a suppressed stand that goes nowhere and you lose overall stand vigor.  The nice thing is the canopy closes over more quickly and thus the competing vegetation dies off or is suppressed so that the stand does better overall.

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 08:04:01 PM »
Since this thread was brought back from the dead I'll chime in.
I'm a Husky man thats currently running a Echo cs-590, and forced to use a Stihl at work. Lol
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »
I started with an old Homelite Super XL 20" hardnose that I used to impress the loggers with, who were using Husqvarnas.  It had the torque where I could really file down the rakers and put a helluva hook on the teeth and you had to really hang on to it.  That little saw would really throw the chips.  Then on to an old Echo that ran about the same.  Then some other cheap ones here and there then finally onto a Stihl 034 Super AV w/ 20" sprocket bar.  It's my only running saw at this point and I use it for everything.  It gets heavier every year and it was never a light saw to begin with.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 01:59:17 PM »
My brother runs stihls so we have a good time poking each other when we are cutting.

I think most saws on the market will do a great job as long as you take care of them! 

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 07:24:20 PM »
I've got half stihls and half Huskys and a sacks Dolmar. I don't mess with cheap box store saws. My opinion Huskys cut a little faster than Stihl but Stihls live a little longer, its a wash. I would sooner work on Huskys. My go to saw is a Husky 365 20" bar I bought for $3.50 and rebuilt. Life is too short for cheap saws. Frank C.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 11:28:12 AM »
Talking about cheap saws, my dad was the champion of picking these up,, funny thing is he seldom used them, so he never had too many complaints, :laugh: and if they did not start, well all the better for him, it was a good day when sawing was put off to trying to resurrect a saw that will not start.  That said,  I bought a small poulan years ago in a silent auction benefit.  I really thought I had the bull by the horns with little saw, and well, I did both hands trying and trying to get this thing to run.  When it did it was a sweet little limber, but that carb was a pain in the butt, I reckon it was the carb.  Its' collecting dust now.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »
I have had all my saws for a while, with the exception of a small 235 husky. I picked it up just mainly to keep in the log truck, incase I need to saw a limb off or cut something that has fell across the log road, which happens from time to time. Generally one of the logging crews will get to it first though and normally an axe is handier to trim any branch that sticks out of the load.

My biggest and least used saw is an old 266 that just won't quit, but doesn't get much use anymore either, 24 in bar on that one.
I have a 455 husky with a 20 in bar, that just keeps going, it is a consumer grade saw and you can tell it easy enough, but has been a good saw, even if a little on the slow side.
I have 2 346's and these are the meanest saws for their size I have ever used bar none, one wears an 18 in bar and the other a 20.

Running the log truck I see what all the local pros use, it is pretty much an even split between husky and stihl around these parts. I know some tried dolmar and claimed that they actually were just as good when new, but didn't hold up as well, as far as I know none of them uses them anymore except for one I know that has one for a backup saw.

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:16 PM »
I'd love to get my hands on a 346, them things are wicked fast little saws. Also have a couple project saws a wore out 350 Husky and a 120si Dolmar that needs a carb thats not available.
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 03:50:11 AM »

I've never been a big fan of Stihl.  Mainly because of the difficulty working on them, opinion based off older models.  The newer ones I've had my hands on seemed even worse with over complicated small parts, easily broken (plastic). 

I was a die hard McCulloch user from youth.  Still have 'em.  Yes, heavy saws that didn't scream like other brands.  But made TORQUE.  They got a bad reputation for not starting once hot, but opening up the carb jets just a "whisker" cured that problem and the fuel economy noticeably improved.  Learn quick to re-fuel at the first hint of a near empty tank and they'd always start in 1-3 pulls.  You didn't dare run a Mac out of fuel though.  Only cure to restart was a lengthy cool down.

Favorite to run was a Mac 7-10 24".  Handled a 32" with little problem.  But after an hour in winter time, your fingers would be snow white from no blood left in the digits caused by vibration (no anti-vibe).  But the amount of wood you could cut in that hour was impressive.  BIG, long chips and lots of 'em.  Much like Ox describes with his Homelite.  Even from across the holler, the sound of these old saws was recognizable.  These new ones all sound alike (screaming).

Run all Husky now.  Very fond of the 372XP frame.  Easy to service and very durable with a good power/weight ratio.  Seems very balanced with 24" full-comp/chisel  and handles a 32" semi-skip/chisel in hardwood well.  Even the little 435 X-Torq 18" semi-chisel is a great limbing and small firewood saw.  Technically the wife's saw, but I use it quite often too, especially when milling.

Still fire up an ole' Mac every once in awhile though.   :) 

Now that most saws have computers, I don't have a use for 'em   >:(  ... Don't care what brand. 
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 06:50:24 AM »
I had a couple McCulloch's for years, a large and a small one. I always thought they were great saws, started getting difficult to get parts though.

I ran a deer ranch down in Texas for a number of years, got a crew to do cedar removal and the owner went out and bought a bunch of Polan saws.. they didn't last long and we replaced them with Stihl

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 08:23:02 AM »
Now that most saws have computers, I don't have a use for 'em   >:(  ... Don't care what brand.

This.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Not that everything can be blamed on the EPA but the saw manufacturers  had to do the computer thing to meet the EPA requirements.  As a result it is hard for the average owner to have the equipment to work on anything other than the basics.  Look at any car built after 2000.  It is only getting worse and will continue.  The era of the shade tree mechanic is gone.  If it is about the fuel system and the delivery of it. You have to have a computer with the proprietary software.  Look at the lawsuit that is going on with the tractor companies where the claim is being made that if you do any maintenance on the engine you are in violation of the digital rights act (DMCA) because of the software.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »
Epa has basically destroyed a lot of industry, you literally can not get a good semi engine anymore because of it.
I don't remember what year it was, but it has been years since I bought my troybuilt tiller. The very next year they changed from kohler engines to Briggs, I ask why and it seemed the kohler could not meet the new epa standards, like I was going to run my tiller enough to ruin the planet. lol

Offline terracefarmer

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »
Dad had lombard's, maybe four over the years, then came homelite's, poulan's and then Stihl's, gone through a few myself, starting with 660 and 361, both nice saws, wore them out, then to a 460, traded that for a 461 and the 660 got traded for a 661 and the 361 traded for a 362 which was stolen.       

As for the best brand, simple, the brand you have good local service for, my favorite saw, the one that someone else runs and fixes and does the cutting for me.       

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2019, 05:36:57 PM »
I got a ton of different kinds of saws. I like the Stihl saws the best.
I also use commercial electric saws. Anyone else use them?

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »
No, but I would if I had one.  One of those would be handy around the mill.  I currently use a little battery skilsaw and a really sharp carpenter hatchet to trim off waney boards and trim knots that interfere with carriage travel.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2019, 11:33:23 AM »
I don't know about any of the new/recent manufactured electric saws but the ones of old did not have clutches in them and thus were viewed as extremely dangerous.  Safety gear is designed to stop a chain by binding it up and bringing it to a halt very rapidly before it chews through to the body and you end up severely injured.  The electric saws of old (10 years plus) would keep right on cutting until the trigger was released. The newer electric Stihls I have no idea about.  I have a small electric and it scares me due to the lack of a clutch.  My 120CC Stihl saw with a long bar is a pussy cat, while I respect it I do not fear it.

I just went to the Stihl website to see if the newer electrics have clutches and I still don't know the answer it was not clear.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2019, 06:11:25 AM »
Kbeitz, I have two of those Milwaukee electrics they are the cats pooper around the mill and short run firewood cutting 20" bars. There were years ago some heavy duty electrics only problem they ran on 400 cycles and had to have their own generator. I had a couple of them for a wile but worthless with out the genny. Here tell some of the new battery chainsaw are real handy. Frank C.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »
I love my stihl ms261cm. best saw I have ever run. Being in the fire service we typically run stihl. But the CM version its awesome.

I do use my milwaukee M18 battery sawzall for trimming. works ok.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2019, 05:08:54 PM »
Bandmiller2.... I bet you could use a VFD to get your 400hz.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline terracefarmer

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 06:29:27 AM »
I always thought an electric saw would be very handy to have around the mill.   

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2019, 07:00:45 AM »
T farmer their very handy around a mill especially for logs with the nubs. On the tail end of a circular mill an electric saw and a cradle to cut slabs is handy especially to keep the off bearer busy when your handling logs. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
You guys just gave me an idea.  I'll have 2 batteries making 24V when I'm done updating the mill.  I can wire in an inverter and have   120V available at up to maybe, 10 - 15 amps or so just guessing off the cuff.  Batteries will be constantly topped of with a 24V alternator at 60 amps.  This will make having an electric chainsaw on any sawmilling site a possibility. 

Thanks for the brain boost guys!

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »
I keep one of these mounted on a side grinder at the mill all the time.
Great for quick clearance.

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2019, 11:52:41 AM »
I have wondered many times about that style for my mudsaw/debarker rather than the blade style that came with the mill.  Just have never gotten one.  Where did you get it?

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »
I see the old macs mentioned, along with the torque factor. It has been years since I used a big old mac, and I sure don't want to go back to them, but have wondered if one of them, or even an old homelight or stihl, or really any of the big saws of the slow turning high torque era, wouldn't actually be better saws for the chainsaw mills.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
E-bay has them cheap... Very dangerous... It will rip the grinder right out of your hand if you approach the log wrong. But boy do they work...Real time saver.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.