alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What brand of saw do you use?  (Read 48209 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: What brand of saw do you use?
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
You guys just gave me an idea.  I'll have 2 batteries making 24V when I'm done updating the mill.  I can wire in an inverter and have   120V available at up to maybe, 10 - 15 amps or so just guessing off the cuff.  Batteries will be constantly topped of with a 24V alternator at 60 amps.  This will make having an electric chainsaw on any sawmilling site a possibility. 

Thanks for the brain boost guys!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »
I keep one of these mounted on a side grinder at the mill all the time.
Great for quick clearance.

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2019, 11:52:41 AM »
I have wondered many times about that style for my mudsaw/debarker rather than the blade style that came with the mill.  Just have never gotten one.  Where did you get it?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »
I see the old macs mentioned, along with the torque factor. It has been years since I used a big old mac, and I sure don't want to go back to them, but have wondered if one of them, or even an old homelight or stihl, or really any of the big saws of the slow turning high torque era, wouldn't actually be better saws for the chainsaw mills.

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
E-bay has them cheap... Very dangerous... It will rip the grinder right out of your hand if you approach the log wrong. But boy do they work...Real time saver.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things