alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: chiming in  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
chiming in
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:34:51 AM »
I see we have a number of new members.  Would really like to get to know more and read more from you folks.   ;D

Offline John Bartley

• Contributor
Re: chiming in
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »
Hi all,

I'd love to have more to post about, but I just really don't have much to say right now I guess. I have a Champion manual mill made by the "Scierie Mobile Gilbert" company in Quebec City and a friend and I have been sawing up a bunch of White Pines that he had taken down last year after a branch off one fell on his house and darn near destroyed it! We've had so much snow here that we finally had to ask another friend to come in with a big Cat loader to push back snow and retrieve some logs for us to saw - our Massey 135 just couldn't handle either the snow or the logs.

We've cut 6 nice size logs, each about 24"-30"dia and 8'-12' long as well as two small logs, about 15" x 12'. After cutting out the curves in the logs and getting nice square cants to work with we've accumulated a pretty fair pile of wood, all 1x's and 2x's, so next week we'll trailer it all over to another friends place where we'll have room to stack, sticker and let it all dry. I've been tracking the hours on the Tiny Tach and so far we have about 5-6 hours on his wood actually cutting - probably three time that moving snow and retrieving logs. I guess (and it's only a guess) we've got about 1000 to 1200 bdft to pile, and while that's not much, the snow is really throwing a wrench into the works. According to Environment Canada, the Ottawa area is experiencing the second heaviest snowfall on record this year - what a year to have about 6000bdft of logs to cut....

Anyway, that's about all I have for now...

cheers eh?

John

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Sounds like you've got a good start, just a little too much snow.
Al Gore must have sent you some of his global warming.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:28:31 PM »
Now that is funny!  :D :laugh:
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:48:11 PM »
Welcome to the site Bugman.  I am guessing there is quite a story behind that name :)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!