alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Firewood: Like currency in the 'bank'  (Read 10227 times)

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
Firewood: Like currency in the 'bank'
« on: March 12, 2015, 07:44:07 PM »
I often look at things I do around the place in lieu of paper currency.

For example, firewood.

A cord of hardwood here sells for 'about' $150. I say about, because almost everyone sells it by that unknown quantity, "the pickup load".... Since most of them throw it in, my guess is even a large pickup won't hold but a 1/2 cord or maybe slightly more, and they get 80-90 bucks/load for it, so that roughly figures out to a conservative 150/cord.

My 4 cord sheds thus are 'worth' $600 filled. Probably more, since they will actually be seasoned a year, and nearly every firewood seller is splitting theirs one day and delivering it the next, or within a week, tops...and usually calling it seasoned.

BUT then if you figure to have $600 after tax dollars, you'd have to earn $761 or more depending on your income tax rate ( I added 10% income tax rate + 15.3% SS), so that makes my 4 sheds worth more like 4x760= 3,000 bucks !

It takes me about a 5 day week, working 6hrs day (about all I'm good for in this kind of work anymore) per shed by the time I cut the logs in the woods, drag them out, cut into rounds, split and stack.

Works out to about $25/hr gross (less tractor/chainsaw/woodsplitter expenses...call it $5/hr..)....that I'll never see in paper currency, but not bad 'money' for working out in the fresh air at my own pace, building my little 'bank account'.

What things do you do around your place that make you 'money' you never see ?

Appliance repair ? (This can be BIG money per hour ! )

Auto repair, even if just routine maintenance like changing oil/filters.

Growing your own food ? Hard to compete sometimes with 'factory food' until you factor in the tax angle. Can't forget that !

Your own water company ? (Well or spring).

Your own sewer disposal ? (Septic/other)

When you think over what you do on your place, it's amazing the bucks you don't have to earn, and pay taxes on, to come out with a pretty good life. This is an often over looked benefit of homesteading.

Offline John B

• Contributor
    • www.tractorpart.com
Re: Firewood: Like currency in the 'bank'
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »
After reading this I got to thinking, what you compared cutting your own wood compaired to heating with oil.
A cord of wood is equal to about 200 gallons of oil @ 2.50 per gallon. This makes your 4 wood sheds worth $8000, or $10000 to $12000 if you figure in the taxes saved.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:00:38 AM »
Yep......if I burned oil, I'd be rich.....ahahahaaaa

I do plan on building a wood gasifier production unit in the not-too-distance future.  I got a retired machinist neighbor interested in them, and we plan on building one to run a generator or something.  He is into old hit/miss type engines.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »
The size of some of those chunks look like they might have made some pretty nice Ash boards? 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »
Yeah, if it's worth anything much, it doesn't go to the firewood pile....got way too much trash wood for that.

You can't tell from the photo, but the big round closest to the camera is a red oak that died about 2 years back.  I meant to cut it last year, and didn't get to it, so it was getting a bit 'punky' now.  Wouldn't have made good lumber, but fine for firewood.

On top the pile is a hickory a winter storm blew the top out of in December.  It was close to the red oak, so they both went to firewood.

Back in the fall, I ran up on a real nice ash log over in somebody's yard.  The tree guys had cut it, and cut up the top for firewood, but left the main log.  I saw it sitting there for weeks, so finally one day I stopped and asked.  Owner told me the tree guys were supposed to come back and cut the logs up in firewood as well.

"You pay them yet ?"

"yeah"

"They ain't coming back".

So I got the logs.  Had to haul my tractor over there and load them, come home, roll off by hand, then go back for the tractor, but nice logs.....20" diameter, nice clear butt and 2nd log.

Got a nice ash log few years back and made a "one log table/benches" for a buddy of mine that had been building his house for several years, and finally ready to move in.  They had very little furniture, and broke as stink (you know how it is when you move in your first new house....you've spent it ALL.....ahahahaa).

Told him I'd build him a house warming gift, don't tell his wife.  So he told her "Honey, we're broke.  Gonna have to use a cable spool for a table for a while".

She busted into tears when I showed up with this:

Walnut dovetail inlays in the joints where the boards join.

Shoulder tenon on the cross bar, with a square mortise hole, and a tapered walnut wedge.  Knock the wedge down, and the brace tightens up nicely !

Side benches.  Legs mortised into the seat, secured with walnut wedges.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 07:33:29 PM »
VERY, VERY nice!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:39:27 PM »
You do have a nice capability of turn out good looking stuff.  That is beautiful.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »
Wow you are good!   :o

Very nice housewarming gift!
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com