alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: building new kiln  (Read 27629 times)

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
building new kiln
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:36:52 AM »
I hope to get started building my kiln in the next couple weeks. I'm building it about 20 ft away from my OWB and plan on supplying the heat from it, with DH in also. I know very little about using a kiln and have lots to learn. Mostly at first drying walnut, maple and cedar slabs. I guess I'll have to buy a book on it, probably the one Dr. Gene wrote. I hope it's short and to the point, I hate and get bored reading rather quick. I'm more of do it and don't do it again like that person.
Planning on building the kiln 14 ft long so I can put in 12 ft boards and 8 ft deep. Maybe still thinking on height, probably 8 ft tall with swing doors to load it with forklift.
I'm still open for suggestions from anyone.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
Re: building new kiln
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
You considered a solar kiln ?  I'm liking that VaTech design for a small one.  Thinking I might start with one, and maybe build a couple if I like it.  Put it on skids like I do my firewood sheds so I could move them out the way if empty and I needed them out of the way.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030_pdf.pdf

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:03 PM »
Ricky,

The Southeastern Dry Kiln Club is sponsoring a Dry Kiln Operator's Short Course in Raleigh on May 19-22.  It should give you a good basis for operating, and designing, your kiln.  It is based on the books you are reading.  It shouldn't be that far from you.

http://research.cnr.ncsu.edu/blogs/wpe/files/2015/02/2015-Dry-Kiln-Operators-Short-Course.pdf   

Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 10:59:20 PM »
Thanks Tom, I was thinking about going to that. Ricky

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:55:58 AM »
My first kiln is a 24' refer trailer, backed up to a dock I built.  I load from the end onto dollies that are 54 inches wide and 9' long.  I use 8' extensions on my tractor forks to load onto the dollies.  Been doing it this way for almost 20 years.  I use a Taylor hotwater furnace for heat and removed my Ebac 1200 when it eeded the new freon.  The lumber is terrifice.  I also mix my species without any negative results.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 05:03:19 AM »
OK I'm back on the kiln again. After starting this topic I changed my mind and built a solar kiln, its great but slow almost stop now in cold weather. So I'm back to my original plan for a kiln heated off my OWB.
I poured the pad a week ago with 2" foam under it also plastic over the foam under the concrete. Got the under ground insulated pipe to run the water over to it into a heat exchanger inside it. Going to pick up my lumber (bad I have a mill and going to buy my 2x6's cheaper than I can mill them) soon. I plan on 2x6 insulated  wall and 2" foam on the outside of the wall with 1/2 foam on inside with a vapor barrier. Same on ceiling.
I'm going to have one small walk in door on the side wall to check on things in the kiln and two swing doors to load with forklift. Doors will be the hardest thing to keep insulated.
Now a question for ROL or anyone that has done this. The DH. Do you think I can get by with a couple home DH's or will I need to dig into my pocket for a Nyle 53? The home units will not be any good over 98 degrees the way I understand. As of now I  only plan on putting wood in there that been air dried or solar dried to 20% or less. I'm told if I do that I can just turn the heat to it.  Suggestion vents, etc.????

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »
xlogger
 sadly to do it right,spend the money on a nyle kiln unit. once the m.c. gets lower you need horsepower to draw the last few points out,not only that you can run the temp higher to set pitch or sterilize wood.
 the best part with using hot water for heat ,its alot cheaper than electric.
my kiln doors are 10' high x 14' wide each. i made the frame with aluminum angle and sandwiched 5" of high density styrofoam between the frame.the doors hinge outward giving me a 28' wide opening .when the doors are closed there is a small gap where the 2 doors meet.that part i stuff insulation to fill the crack. even at minus 30 degree the kiln holds heat at 130 degree.
 hopefully this makes sense to you :)
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
My home DH unit works all the way up to 140 degrees, so far!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 01:46:23 PM »
what name brand is it?

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »
Hisense 35-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier ENERGY STAR from Lowes
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 04:25:02 PM »
I'll check them out, says they will work down to 38 degrees but doesn't show a high temp cutoff. Might have to try one. I'm going to try to find a used Nyle first but could always use that one in my solar kiln.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 04:34:40 AM »
Red Oak, got a question for you or anyone doing this. I'm going to order a Nyle L53 pretty soon. How did you connect your Nyle to control the heat from the OWB?

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 08:14:40 PM »
my hot water heating unit has a themomter that is in the kiln chamber that controls the temp.the temp control is mounted on the wall outside the chamber. the only thing my kiln unit does is run the compressor
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 04:59:28 AM »
That was the way I was thinking about. There is a way to connect it to the unit itself I'm told but this way I can run it at a low temp if not using it during real cold nights and not freeze the water and not use lots of wood to keep it going. I'll just find a high temp thermometer and hook it to a 3 way valve before water goes into the heat exchanger.
Thanks for the help.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »
I had an Ebac 1200 and it needed new freon.  I did not want to spend the high dollars for the old stuff, so I removed the unit and found that my wood is just as good or better.  By leaving the moisture in the unit I believe it inhances the4 finished product.  I will open one door from time to time to briefly exhaust any moisture.  I have been having great success with this method.