alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Wood Drying and Processing > Kilns

building new kiln

(1/3) > >>

xlogger:
I hope to get started building my kiln in the next couple weeks. I'm building it about 20 ft away from my OWB and plan on supplying the heat from it, with DH in also. I know very little about using a kiln and have lots to learn. Mostly at first drying walnut, maple and cedar slabs. I guess I'll have to buy a book on it, probably the one Dr. Gene wrote. I hope it's short and to the point, I hate and get bored reading rather quick. I'm more of do it and don't do it again like that person.
Planning on building the kiln 14 ft long so I can put in 12 ft boards and 8 ft deep. Maybe still thinking on height, probably 8 ft tall with swing doors to load it with forklift.
I'm still open for suggestions from anyone.

TnAndy:
You considered a solar kiln ?  I'm liking that VaTech design for a small one.  Thinking I might start with one, and maybe build a couple if I like it.  Put it on skids like I do my firewood sheds so I could move them out the way if empty and I needed them out of the way.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030_pdf.pdf

Tom the Sawyer:
Ricky,

The Southeastern Dry Kiln Club is sponsoring a Dry Kiln Operator's Short Course in Raleigh on May 19-22.  It should give you a good basis for operating, and designing, your kiln.  It is based on the books you are reading.  It shouldn't be that far from you.

http://research.cnr.ncsu.edu/blogs/wpe/files/2015/02/2015-Dry-Kiln-Operators-Short-Course.pdf   

xlogger:
Thanks Tom, I was thinking about going to that. Ricky

Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner":
My first kiln is a 24' refer trailer, backed up to a dock I built.  I load from the end onto dollies that are 54 inches wide and 9' long.  I use 8' extensions on my tractor forks to load onto the dollies.  Been doing it this way for almost 20 years.  I use a Taylor hotwater furnace for heat and removed my Ebac 1200 when it eeded the new freon.  The lumber is terrifice.  I also mix my species without any negative results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version