alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Interesting web site  (Read 10047 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Interesting web site
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:06:31 PM »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Interesting web site
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:15:21 PM »
Thats Birky's site and yes, its full of great information.

Note the Full Vigor Forestry title.  A friend of Birkys in New Mexico started the Full Vigor Forestry forum on behalf of Birky and it grew and was later sold.  Our forum is a direct result of the Full Vigor Forestry Forum. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:05:45 AM »
I'd seen a piece of what's on there related to solar kilns but not the rest.

He really gets on the case of BIG business running the wood industry. 

I like his ideas about taking the wood from the stump to the consumer all in house but out here it would be hard to see that totally for our wood supply.  The 400mmbdf of windthrow, according to the state, has enough sawmill capability in the area of the storm to handle the volume.  I think Birky mentioned that his state has 22mmbdf total standing timber. 

But on the other hand a small saw mill, according to the powers that be out here, is one that has less than 300 employees and can still bid $1000,000,000 on a timber sale.  Kind of cuts the micro people out of the loop.  And timber decisions favor small and large not us microbes. 

I'd like to see more state support for people that didn't want to get big in the wood world.  Oh there's little pieces out there but not a lot and hard to find when it's there. 
That's one of the reasons I like these forums because of the sharing of the info on "how to do it."  We really don't compete with each other and we really don't compete with the big mills.  Why can't people see that? 
What we need is a revitalization of small (wood) business in this country that makes something and doesn't just clean your carpets or sell you fast food. 
But government searches and tempts green and big with tax brakes and infrastructure.  They'll put in a stop sign and turn lane for Walmart but I can't get my street swept but once a year and have to get a special permit to add a driveway.  :'(

Sounds like I'm whining so I'd better quit.

Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
Speaking the truth is neither whining or negative!

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
Good point Steve - I'm very fortunate in that the 2 other sawmill operations around my area my size are great guys.  One is into making long beams, the other is into only white cedar products.  My nitch is the figured wood.  We all throw business at each other if a customer is looking for something that we individually don't do but know that one of the others do.  I got some of my best training watching these guys mill before I bought my mill.  I'm trying to pass that along with a couple of younger guys considering buying a mill.  I don't look at it as competition really.  If I keep treating my customers well, they'll keep coming back.  People really want to be loyal when making purchases, they don't want to get screwed.  Once they find a business that suites their needs and treats them good, you really shouldn't have to worry about losing them.  I found the logging industry was just the opposite.  Other than some close friendships I made with 3-4 other logging contractors, I found it to be a very cutthroat business.  All the more reason to go full into the millwork I guess.  I guess I just believe in the carma thing.  If you do good things for others, it will come back to you. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »
I guess I just believe in the carma thing.  If you do good things for others, it will come back to you. 

A fact of life! 

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 05:16:15 PM »
I don't know about the carma (Karma?) thing.  I thought it had to do with sowing and reaping.  What ye sow, so shall ye reap, packed down, shaken together and over flowing.    Scary if you're a bad guy, heh!
Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »
I stand corrected. Your are correct Steve in that it is about sowing and reaping.  I guess I just meant that the karma thing is directly related to what you sowe. 

And yes, real scary if your a bad guy!   

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »
I do not sew, I knit things together. :D