alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Taper sawn lap siding  (Read 43928 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Taper sawn lap siding
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
I can see that....once set up it ain't bad.  Just a lot of board (and boots) shuffling.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 08:10:58 PM »
NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT!?! I have to go to my safe space now. lmfao! ;D
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 09:25:44 PM »
Ok, back up to "reply #11 and furu.. did you just use a router and rabit the bottoms of that siding??

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »
I sawed some flat sawn pine for my fil, and he used the table saw and router to make some siding much like shown, no taper what so ever, rabbit joints and  overlaps cover it pretty good,, now keep in mind this is just a get away for the little grand children, but , to say it, straight,  this was years ago, and it's still bad to the bone,,, even has AC,

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
So how did you get such great pictures uploaded?

Please describe the step by step. Thanks!

I have now done as you requested. 
Look at the following post.  It is not perfect but...........

http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,1671.msg14490.html#msg14490
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
Ok, back up to "reply #11 and furu.. did you just use a router and rabit the bottoms of that siding??
Yes I sawed the tapered siding on my mill.
Then I took it to my Woodmaster and fed it through using only the router part of the unit doing the rabit on the bottom. 

The reason I did it the way I did was for the extra structure strength of having full contact with the siding to the upright studs.
Normal tapered siding has less than 50% continuous contact.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »
Yes I sawed the tapered siding on my mill.
Then I took it to my Woodmaster and fed it through using only the router part of the unit doing the rabit on the bottom. 

The reason I did it the way I did was for the extra structure strength of having full contact with the siding to the upright studs.
Normal tapered siding has less than 50% continuous contact.

I like it. If/when I ever get a mill and get the hang of it I'd like to try making some shiplap siding, have always liked that stuff.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2017, 12:42:41 AM »
I was looking at a mill a couple of years ago, a log master iirc. Anyway it had a simple jig built right in the mill deck to make taper siding. All it amounted to was a rod run through the bunks from end to end, with a handle on one end and some cams on it to raise one side of a cant, it just doesn't get any simpler or easier.