alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Husky vs. mail order  (Read 23721 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Husky vs. mail order
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »
Just got some info from Sam Bailey about not selling Huskys in their catalog:

"As far as Husky goes, they have cut off all dealers (including us obviously) that ship saws. We would love to sell them but they do not want anyone selling by mail. We still do sell Huskies but our customer must pick it up at our Woodland warehouse which is pretty inconvenient for our customers. Basically, Husky is trying to be more like Stihl where they drive the prices up high (buying saw directly from local dealer at higher cost) and sell less saws. It is good for local dealers but bad for customer's and us. The only good out of it that I can see is that it opens the door for some of these other manufacturers (Echo, Solo, Dolmar, etc.) who do not mind selling saws by mail order at a discount. It may take awhile to get their name out but Husky was nothing 25 years ago when we took them on and they are pretty big today."

What's sad is Baileys has hung in with Husky all these years, gets cut off so the dealers can be supported but you can buy a Husky at Lowe's who doesn't know squat about chainsaws and provides no support.   I'd think there should have been an exception!

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Husky vs. mail order
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »
I agree totally.  I have tried to provide my opinion on the Husky web site and they make you jump through so many hoops that I finally gave up. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35:43 PM »
What are these other saws?  I only now about Stihl. ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »
Just talked with an aborist (Steve Wiley) and he loves his Echo.  You might give him a call Frank.
Stevem

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:02 AM »
Are husky's better than stihl? Why not just buy em' from the local store?
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »
I hear very good things about the Jonsered saws too.  Several local logging contractors are using them and are happy with them.  These guys saw thousands of board feet of logs every year so they must be pretty rugged.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »
Steve G., sometimes the local box stores acquire a lower level of quality production products, so I have been told.  I stay with a local saw shop that I have been with for ovser 35 years.

They also allow me to place my Logrite tools in their shop.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »
What the local dealer told me was that they cheapen up on the bar and chain.

And they don't really sell the big saws or commercial grade but what's classified as "consumer saws."   And then if you want service it's go to a saw shop that they're putting out of business to provide it because they don't do it.
So we have high volume +low price -service = buy a new saw.
Stevem

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »
I hear very good things about the Jonsered saws too.  Several local logging contractors are using them and are happy with them. 
Husky and Josered are the same saw, produced on the same assembly line, in the same factory, only the color has been changed to confuse the consumer! ;)
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »
adk,
how did you find that out?  Do you know if the Jonsered come in a proffessional model or just johny homeowner versions?

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 09:48:06 PM »
I will confront my Husky dealer here with that information and watch his reaction.  I have never heard of that relationship with those two saws.

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 06:28:56 PM »
Kea & Frank,

Open this web-page...Click on "Company" on the left and then click on "Contact".  Look at the company mailing adress, just to the left of where you enter your e-mail address! :o

I first learned of this from a Game of Logging Instructor.

http://www.jonsered.com/frameset.aspx
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:23:57 AM »
Very interesting, adk.  Thank you for sharing in site.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 08:49:30 AM »
Looks like the Jonesred saws top model is 6hp, which If I recall is about the size of the 372 XP

Offline Clive C

• New Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »
The Husky 385 and Jonsered 2186 are the same saw as are the 372 and 2171, 2165 and 365, 359 and 2159, 2156 and 357.  Other models may be the same too.  Some of the Huskys have the tall air filter cover and Jonsered handlebars have a bit different angle otherwise Jonsereds are just a red and black Husqvarna.  I thought everyone in the forest products industry new that  ??? ::) 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:58:50 PM »
I feel a whole lot better about it!  Thanks for the cross references Clive!

Offline stanw

• New Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »
Just to but in husky johnsered,poulan are all from the Electrolux company.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
GEEEEE, that sounds like an vacccccum maker. ;D

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 12:36:51 PM »
It has been my understanding that husky dealers were not suppose to do the mail order thing from a long time back, yet baileys got by with it for a number of years. I always figured the rule was overlooked because they sold a lot of saws.

What husky did change a couple of years ago was add a 12% surcharge to any Alaska and I believe Hawaii dealers too. This put our dealers at a disadvantage, not a big deal for the pro saws, but the big box stores that handle consumer saws with an address in the lower 48 got an immediate discount of 12% over the saw shops. My dealer still stocked pro huskys, but started stocking and pushing jonsered saws instead, same saws, other than cosmetics and sometimes a slightly different handle angle, but an immediate 12% less money to the dealer and buyer.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 07:18:33 PM »
John Deere is pulling this crap with small dealers now, their company was built by mom and pop dealerships in small towns. Now you must have a big fancy expensive showroom and a massive investment to sell their equipment, and we have to pay for it. Frank C.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »
I  have not been by the saw shop to confirm it, but have read somewhere that husky is discontinuing the jonsered line, any one else heard this.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 06:05:34 AM »
I may be wrong here but if by husky you mean Husqvarna Then the answer should be no. Husqvarna and Jonsored have never been one.

Jonsored name is going away and changing to Makita. Same saw just different name on it.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 06:41:07 AM »
Cruser, I'm quite sure johnsy and husky are next of kin, owned by the European conglomerate Electrolux. I put johnsy plastic cover on my Husky 365 and it fit right on, of course I've been known to be in error. Frank C.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »
A little research as I did not know the answer but here is what I found.  Yes Jonsored is made by Husqvarna

Jonsered is a Swedish brand and produces products like chainsaws, trimmers, lawn mowers, garden tractors and accessories. ... Since then the engineers at Jonsered have continued to lead the development of the professional chainsaw. The company was bought by Electrolux in 1979 and is today part of Husqvarna Group.

The Scotsman William Gibson who had immigrated to Sweden in his youth founded a textile mill in 1832 in Jonsered. His sons later took over the company that remained in the family's control until the 1920s. In 1872 the company became a limited company, Jonsered Fabriker AB, diversifying its textile output. By the 1880s it was producing and exporting woodworking machines along with its textiles, with one notable production being canvas. The Jonsered sailing canvas was very well-known in the 1800s in Sweden and gave the company a good reputation. Another important textile product were fire hoses (until 1975), many of them still in use today.

In the 1950s Jonsereds Fabrikers AB started producing the chain saw model "Raket" (Rocket) which along with its successors became a major success and Jonsereds started exporting chain saws world wide with the biggest export market being North America. Another success was the forest crane production that started about 1959. The most profitable unit was the tarpaulin production. In 1969 the company started to shut down its textile part and evolving into a pure engineering industry with customers in the forest industry as the main customer group, with the tarpaulin unit being kept within the company.

In 1975 it became a subsidiary of Investment AB Asken. Asken came in financial difficulties and parts of Jonsereds AB were shut down and others sold. In 1978 it was sold to Electrolux and production of chainsaws was later moved to Husqvarna. Husqvarna still maintains a R&D unit in Jonsered. The tarpaulin unit was also acquired by Electrolux but later sold. The brand "Jonsereds" is still in use by its current owner Hallbyggarna.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 11:05:57 PM »
The saw shop I use keeps a half husky and half johny 372 or 2171, depending on your preference, to prove to folks they are the same saw. lol