alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Forestry, Logging and Building > Timber Framing and Log Homes

Abouth log homes, building proces...

(1/5) > >>

lauztuvass:
So, where is someone who build log house by his own hands? Or live in new one log house?

furu:
We are going to build a log home.  While I will be doing some of the work I will not be doing all of it and I will not be building the outer shell.

John B:
I have built several log homes.

Do you have a design in mind?

What is your climate like in Lithuania?

John B:
I have a bit more time an a few more thoughts than I had in my first post.

Log cabins do well in colder, dry climates.

You can build a log home just about anywhere, but additional steps must be taken in warm and / or wet envroments.

There are at least 4 different log types that can be used.
    1.) Round logs with scribed joints.
    2.) 3 Sided logs with "butt and pass" or "notch and point" joint" joints.
    3.) 2 Sided logs with "notch and point" joints, or a combination of butt and pass / scribed joints.
    4.) 4 Sided "square" logs can use any of the above joints, or compound "dovetail joints"

I have used 1-3 extensively, and can answer any questions you may have.

I have never built a home with square logs and dovetail joints. This method may be necessary in wet envroments, where rot in the corners in a concern.
I'll post some pictures when I get back to the office if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
John

I'

lauztuvass:
Very good. At first, I want to say thanks for replys guys.
In my country climate is very different. In summer we have 20- 30 temperature celcium hot air. In night we have abouth 15- 20 temperature. Also where we have rain two times in week. Abouth. In autumn we have rain, wind and temperature from -2 to +12 degree celcium.  Winter also not intresting- from +2 celcium to -30celcium, wind until 16m/s . Rain and snow.
I am thinking to build house and live in it all my life. There is a alot of builders. I was tryed to get more info but.... In my country, all builders said that is cold home from logs. Also, i tryed to get more info abouth logs (timber) warmth resistivity. It is intresting fing. Contructions time-limit   ( of Lithunian laws institutions) says ,that wood have only 2 warmth resistivity. In one article from America, i found that this warmth resistivity is abouth 10. And this number is  from test ( they build somewhere in America six or more the same houses from different material and count expenses for heating). So, what You can say abouth wood home in cold climate? thanks for your advise. And sorry for my bad language.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version