alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Forestry, Logging and Building > Timber Harvest Equipment

pickaroon

(1/8) > >>

bandmiller2:
A pickaroon is a handy tool for pulling logs, slabs, cants est. they can be bought but you can make a dandy with a little work. Worn out picks can be had free or cheap get one with a good handle. With a torch cut one spike off and trim the other shorter and slimmer with a slight hook twords the handle. I've found a pyramid type point is the handiest. The handle can't pull out. Handy tool to pull firewood out of your truck too. Frank C.

backwoods sawyer:
a Pickaroon was like an extension of your arm when running what we call the "Singulator" (A cant/flitch unscrambler/drop out transfer) when the cant landed on the evenend rolls a tug with the pick set it to the fence before the cants went through the scanner so the scanner would get accurate length.
We ran 1", 2", 4", and 6" thru a veritable position edger.
When working around metal the tip gets blunted and a poorly ground tip will land you on your butt ;)
The pyramid shape tip with a good hook to it like you describe dose work the best

The other day when unloading Madrone slabs a pair of pickaroons would have been real handy.

Cutting Edge Saw Svc.:

I would not be without my Pickaroon either... I had to finish firewood last year without one because of a broken handle  :(  Getting hard to find handles with the grain oriented right and have a good pommel on the end for grip.  Yeah, yeah.... I know.  You'd think a guy with a sawmill would saw out blanks and have handles already whittled out.   ::)

Being as I am 6'4", it is an extension of my arm.  I purchased mine off EBay a few years back.  Took awhile to find an older forged one that had very little bulk/weight to it AND had a 4"+ hook.  Hook shape is probably the most important key to having one that will hook and release with minimal effort on both counts.  The little "tooth" on the end is where the magic happens... Logrite's hook works, but not like the old ones and that is why I've hesitated buying one of theirs.  :-\  This year at the Paul Bunyan Show I am going to ask if they will build be one custom length with a handle different from their current configuration. 

I've "launched" 16"+ dia. rounds of hardwood from ground to splitter with a fraction of the effort needed vs. picking up from the ground with my hands.  The speed/productivity gained is nothing to sneeze at either.  And unloading the truck/trailer is a breeze with a 36" longer arm.   ;D  This topic reminded me I need to get it rehung on a new handle.

Ox:
I've got a Logrite pickaroon/hookaroon (anybody know the difference?) and use it the most for moving around cutoffs and waste wood in the woodlot.  I also move around and roll saw logs onto the bucket forks I've got for the backhoe.  I basically skid with the damn thing.  It would be much better if it had a flared handle end on it, like the mill special cant hook they sell.  I originally bought it for using when milling for pulling slabs and flitches off but I've never used it for that cause I don't need to.  I don't do firewood anymore so that's out, but I can see where I wish I had one all them years ago!

Cutting Edge Saw Svc.:

--- Quote from: Ox on September 30, 2017, 10:20:38 AM ---
It would be much better if it had a flared handle end on it, like the mill special cant hook they sell. 

--- End quote ---

Yup, that was my thinking also.  The foam doesn't allow a sliding swing and it is also hard on the hands.  Their hook doesn't release very easily either... to much material to wedge and bind from my trying one a couple years ago.

After making my earlier post, I got to looking on the internet.  Check out the "Fiskars" Hookaroon.  Straight and lightweight handle is a plus, BUT, the pommel is only one sided.  I'll see if I can find one at the PB Show and try it out.  If the hook releases easy and doesn't tweak the wrist upon lifting, I'll probably buy one of those.  The old hand-forged one may become decoration in the shop.   ;)

Also, check out the "Skidderoon".  I can see the advantages in certain situations the ability to bunch the branches would save alot of trips.  But the novelty might wear off quick in application too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version