alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: My latest Bandmill project  (Read 40838 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
My latest Bandmill project
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »
 Rather than clutter up Bandmiller2's thread, I am going to start posting here about what I have going on. Going to take some photos ASAP.

• Old Timers Club
Re: My latest Bandmill project
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »

I'm just too damn dumb to put images on here !!!!!

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
you have company...just sayin ;D
follow your heart, the rest will happen

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
 I have Photoshop on my real computer, that the damn cursor won't move, so I can use it.
 I have limited success with Paint, and downloaded Irfanview and that was confusing as crap, so, Looks like my images will just sit in the computer(s).  ::)

Closest I got today, got me an error code, saying file too big. Limited to 45?? whatever the hell that is. Kirk supposed to raise that to 65 whatever ???

I post the occasional image on other websites, though ??

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »
i haven't even tried posting pics here.i still have nightmares from asking a question on the non informational forum about posting pics and having the bully humiliate the bejezus out of me >:(

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:54:02 PM »
 This seems dumb, so, lets see what happens
 Now needs a magnifying glass ?? 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
There is a God and he is Good!  :D 

Way to go Harold!  Now just dont shrink them quite so much.  We have a lot more space now and can manage larger photos.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
 Not so sure, Kirk. Last time I tried to update the last posting, I got the 40KB limit reminder ?? I tried to upload a 58KB photo. ??

I used Paint and there is only 1 way to resize as far as I can see. I tried finding a free optimizer, but, that was a way to get a time trial, only. Used to use XAT but they want plastic, too.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 12:01:43 AM »
Let me see if I can get all the steps in a row.
Using Irfan view open your picture
go to "Image"
Then Resize/Resample
I either select the 640-480 button OR
Hit "Half" twice this seems to work best with the new phone
"OK"
then "File"
then "Save for Web" (plug in) I had to go back and down load the plug in a second time.
then "Compress to size"
I have been using 39 as some of the 40's would get the same error mesage.

Then save to your folder for use.

hope I got this worded in an understandable manner, it is kinda like sawing once you get it down it is easy.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 01:20:30 AM »
I use 800x600 as I get a better sized picture on the Resize/Resample dropdown.

Instead of save for web (I used to do that) I have found that "SAVE AS" then put the kb size in the Jpeg/Gif option window at 45 kb or whatever you want works better.  Since the update I have used 55 kb successfully.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »
stop ! you guys make my head hurt ;D

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 08:30:01 AM »

I saw the message to download an add on. That stuff usually scares me away. Not even knowing how to spell kompyouter I don't do some stuff.  NEVER saw any mention of "web" in anything I looked at. Also, never saw ant compression message buttons. I was kinda familiar with XAT in doing this stuff, and compressing.

Looked for free program for image optimizing, but all wanted plastic, which I don't openly do online. Use paypal on ebay, nothing else. So far no hassles.

Now, all the photos I had in many folders on paint don't want to open and I can't easily view them like I used to. ????  I NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET BACK TO PHOTOSHOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info guys. I may try this again, IF I can get to the photos.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
 Got Irfanview, again. got 1 photo saved at 55kb. Tried to upload it, NOPE. File too big. Limit is 40kb. This is getting OLD, FAST.

I'm going to the shop and beat my fingers with a hammer. At least I can do THAT.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »
Got Irfanview, again. got 1 photo saved at 55kb. Tried to upload it, NOPE. File too big. Limit is 40kb. This is getting OLD, FAST.

Not trying to continue the hijack but..............

I just resized and saved two different files just now one at 55kb and one at 56 kb and uploaded them.  After upload, the system said they were 54.87 kb and 55.83 kb respectively so the upgrade on file size is working.

Harold see if you have any photo, even a junk one, that is below 55kb and thus does not have to be resized and try that.  If nothing else works PM me your email and I will email you one of the ones below that I know works and you can try uploading that and see what happens.

55 kb file

56 kb file

The cracks in that photo are real but is another story.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:07:10 PM by furu »

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »

ABSOLUTELY, no hijack, furu. It's all part of the game.  ;D  How do I know a smaller image from a larger one ??  I believe that is my main problem, knowing kb size of an image.

Lets see if I can do a xat. NOPE, no go.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »

Posted this on another forum, 44,??? kb. Nope, no go

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »
When you go into your file folders after you save it at the reduced size and look at the properties of the file, what is the  file size?  Right click the file in you computer directory/folder and then look at properties.
Maybe you are not being successful at saving it at the new size. I always save as a new name when I reduce it so that the original file is not changed. For example if the file was Junk.jpg I will save it as Junkr.jpg for reduced and more lately I have been using junk-55.jpg marking it as a 55kb file size so I don't have to look at the properties to see the size.

When you get it into your gallery click the thumbnail to make it big/normal size then right click the full size gallery photo and "control c"  (to copy) the choice that read "copy image" or "copy image address" or something like that. Firefox, IE, and Chrome all use a little different name but the string that you want to put between the "img brackets"

[ "open bracket" img "close bracket" ]XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX[/img]"  will look something like the following without the quote marks.

"://sawmillandtimberforum.com/gallery/1/528_28_02_16_11_05_57.jpg"

A common error is to copy the thumbnail and post that image which is really hard to see.  Been there done that.
Note the term "Thumb" in the string.

"://sawmillandtimberforum.com/gallery/1/thumb_528_28_02_16_10_53_21.jpg"

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 04:54:56 AM »

Furu, I noticed you have NO spacing in the above mentioned img tags. Could that be my problem ?  I always add or change descriptions when I manipulate images. Always copy-paste into a program to make changes and save that newer image, while not losing the original.

If it continues raining today, I might try some more of what you wrote, along with backwoods sawyers reply. Thanks guys. This should not be as difficult as it is turning out to be.

Maybe I should try to put them in the site gallery, first ??

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 08:23:45 AM »

Maybe I should try to put them in the site gallery, first ??

As far a I know on this site you must put them in the gallery first to get it to work correctly.  
Kirk will hopefully chime in and clarify this point but if you are trying to put it into the post without doing so, that might be the issue.

Instead of linking to another thread I thought I would grap Kirk's instructions from that thread.  It references using XAT which someone said was no longer in existence (I tried the www.xat.com and got someplace I don't want to go back to) :laugh:

Sizing pictures we have found to be the easiest with XAT.com jpeg optimizer.
It’s a free download at http://www.XAT.com

Step by step sizing instructions.
1. Open XAT jpeg optimizer
2. Open the picture you want to resize
3. On the left hand side is a tool bar.  Select the Crop image tool and make a box around the image you want to crop, assuming you want it cropped at all. If not, skip this step.
4. Then select the transform image button which is just below the crop image icon.  A small screen will pop up and you can resize your picture with that.  450 as your width on horizontal pics works best and 450 on height for vertical pictures.  When you place 450 in the Width box and hit enter it will automatically adjust the height of the photo.  
5. Save you photo. When you do this another small box will appear titled Compress Immage.  
6. On the JPEG Quality, set the photo at 80. When you do that you will see the file size numbers above the picture change.  If 80 does not get you into the file size limits you can remove the check mark from the “Extra Color” box and change the Extra Compression to 10.  That should do it for 90% of the pictures you deal with.
7. Now that they are resized and ready for upload its time to go to the Gallery.

Gallery instructions
1. Select the Gallery tab on the menu
2. Then select “My Gallery”
3. Then on the left under Gallery Name select what ever you named your categorie, or gallery.
4. After step 3 you should see your gallery photos.  At the bottom of the page is a Bulk Upload option for you pictures.  
5. Select Bulk Upload
6. You can then select Browse and select the picture file you want to upload.  I believe, but may be wrong, the Title and Description is optional under the bulk upload option.

Getting the Photo into a post.
1. From the Gallery pic you want in a post select the picture. It should pop up as a larger image instead of a thumbnail size.
2. Right mouse click and select properties
3. Highlight the address for the pic, right mouse click and select copy.
4. While in you post, right mouse click and select paste.  
5. Highlight the address you just pasted, and select the Insert Image just above the smilies.  Its the icon next to the WWWHyperlink icon.  Once you do that it adds the appropriate code to the address that causes the image to appear in your post.

I know that all this may seem rather overwhelming as I know it was for me the first time several years ago but rest assured, do it a few times and it will become second nature. If you have any problems let me know and I will do my best to help out.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 10:08:14 AM »

This sux. Do what it says, ANY slight left out info and after you try to add it to gallery, you can NOT go back and correct whatever is wrong-missing. Says "you already sent this post. Hit the back button, and you can't upgrade the damn page. Have to start completely over.

This is probably easy for teens. When y'all get over 70, you had BETTER have everything adjusted for the rest of your lives.  ::) ::)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 04:03:20 PM »
Photos must go in the gallery and then linked to from there.  Harold, didn't you have a youngin a while back.  I bet they can figure it out.  :D  Sorry, had to throw that in for a laugh. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »
Anytime you hit the back button you would need to REFRESH the page on the server, otherwise what ever caused the problem is still there and not corrected without refreshing. 

Harold, I appreciate the PM but I see no need to delete your message.  It's a learning curve for others and much appreciated  ;)

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »
 Thanks, Kirk.

My youngest is nearly 40, other 2 are 49 and 48. I razz Ed more than I should, probably, but, he knows it's all in fun.

Refresh the page. Where is that face palm smiley.  ::) :-[

Ummmm, those 2 mini photos I DID manage to put up, are NOT in my gallery.  ;D

Crate was picked up at Ed's house Feb 9th. Called about it today, and, nobody knows or cares where it is. That just started my day.  >:(

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »
It appears you attached them to the post.  Attachments DO have a 40kb size limit. 

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »

NOW you tell me.  :o  ;D

This the only place I know of that you really should add to gallery, first.