alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: My latest Bandmill project  (Read 40818 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: My latest Bandmill project
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 08:35:02 PM »
This is the only place you know of that never asks for money  ;D :D ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »
amen!! ;D
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: My latest Bandmill project> PHOTOS YAY
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 03:08:24 PM »
 15th try  :'(  HOLY SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, need to remember how I did this  ::)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:57:13 PM by HaroldCR »

• Old Timers Club
Re: My latest Bandmill project-Photos posted
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 06:31:29 AM »

Finally figured out how to post them.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 07:21:49 AM »
yeah ! you deserve to take the day off ;D looks like your mill build is well on it's way. please explain the winch on top.
thanks

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »

Ok. Hope to remember to ad words after each photo, next time.  ::)  I was so surprised to finally get some posted, I plumm forgot to add words.  ;D

First photo is just a general view of what I have going.

Second view is the up/down sawhead winch. It's a worm drive, so it's also a holding brake, sort of. On our other mill, I could saw a slab, raise up and gig back, then, drop down a tad below the next cut area and bump back up to the next correct size board. On a cantilevered sawhead, at least on our's, as you run the head down, the unsupported side would hang down below level. When we bump up, it gets level and holds at wherever you want. I could do that as quick as any WM we ever saw running. Never saw an electronic WM running.  The winch will be powered by a Johnson outboard motor starter motor. I rework the brushes so I can power forward/reverse and run a 4 solenoid relay to handle the amps required.

Third photo shows the Alloy Moto wheels I am using. Ebay at roughly $30.00 a pop includes a decent tire, so, price is good. I have to import LOTS of stuff here, because the country is 50 years behind, except for those damn cell phones that grow to peoples hands.  ::)

Fourth photo shows one of the 2 log stops. Right now, hand cranked up/down, until the next crate shows up with the 12-24V reversible motor that will run the stops. I have a 24V hydraulic pump that will eventually be installed for log stops and part of the clamp and feed system, and maybe, I log loader. Will see how the wife gets along loading logs on the mill.  ;D

The fifth photo is a little tricky to make out. It shows the angle iron tracks welded top and bottom of the I beam, and the wheels that ride on top. I have metal straps and bearing that run under the beam and hold the carriage from falling over. That's the toughest part about building a cantilever sawhead system. Also you can see the crank handle for the log stops.

Sixth photo shows the carriage trolley in all it's terribly welded features. The log bunks will be adjustable as you can see them sitting on top of adjustment bolts. This whole thing is built from recycled metal, so, you have to do what you can with what you have.

I will take better photos and add text as I post them, hopefully.  ::)

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 06:49:58 AM »

Have a cyst on my back that wife keeps draining. It hurts like hell with a "T" shirt rubbing on it, so, project is slow going.

Did get a 13t sprocket made, yesterday, for the sawhead feed system. Got a cross beam cut out for mounting the 12V trolling motor and jackshaft that will drive that sprocket running on the chain, like the WM set up.

Changed the balance point on the winch cable attached to the sawhead. Raised it up to work on the feed drive syatem, so, don't know if it helped the lowering any, yet. Still need to get an engine mounting plate hinged and attached, so I can mount the 8HP Honda engine, temporarily.

Got the carriage running smoothly on the tracks. Took some grinding and smoothing out from using another project as the base for this one. I can push it from one end to the other and each time, the older bearing are loosening up the hard grease from sitting unused for several years.

Might get some more photos today, if anyone is still interested. Not much feed back or questions, so far.  ::)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 11:37:48 AM »
Looking at your one photo it looks as if the carriage roller for the bed is on a double back to back angle iron  not on the inverted angle iron that is often found on a build like yours.  Is that me not seeing what is really there or is that the way you did it?

Interesting to know why but also interesting to know what roller you used that would fit over a double angle iron upright like that.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »

Background. I have a Peterson swing blade mill that I was using to saw 60" dia. logs. I got a job to saw 40' long 2" X 8" 's, so, needed to extend the track. Customer supplied 2 "I" beams 20' long and had a 1' X 1" X 20' angle welded on top of each "I" beam. That provided the track for the Peterson wheels to run on. When the job was finished, the customer was impressed with the lumber and said to keep the "I" beams, so, I started to build a bandmill.

You can see the previous mill frame in some of the photos. I bought steel "V" groove caster wheels with ball bearings, and, had a local with a metal lathe round out the "V" so the wheels sit a little deeper on that angle edge. The carriage was to run on both tracks and straddle the log. Being limited on parts here, I changed to a one track design, like a WM LT40. Makes for much easier designing for electric feed speed and easier to keep from having to crawl inside a frame to change blades, retrieve knots, etc.

I cut the welds holding the 2 angles and welded them to one "I" beam, top and bottom. The support wheels ride the edge of the top angle and there are 8 bearings that ride on the inside flat of the bottom angle, to keep the carriage from simply falling over. I will also add 6 cam followers to the inside of the top track "I" beam, that will ride ON the top of the "I" beam and be fastened to the carriage. that will help support the carriage from leaning over the log as I add the winch and motor for up/down, and the drive engine/motor, whichever way I end up going. Might go to electric before I'm done building.

On the first mill we built, MW style, we did go "V" up and "V" down and had sets of bearings ride on both flats of the angles. That is before I found out what cam followers were. We used doubled up bearings, but, still had problems with the outer races cracking over a period of time and needing to replace bearings. Not a big deal, but, one design problem we encountered.

Thought I had a photo of the setup for the bottom rollers. Have to take more photos and get them on here.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
harold
i'm following the process,keep the pics coming. the thing i've learned over the years, for every 1 reply to a post 20 others are observing and taking notes.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »

Yeah, sometimes I don't post in threads, either. Maybe my back will feel better tomorrow, so I can get down low to show the lower bearing set up and where those cam followers will go.

Any and all comments are always welcome in any of my threads.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
 First 3 photos are of the lower balance bearings, to keep the carriage from falling over.

Next 3 photos show the clamp and the screw drive and attachment to frame

I copied address of thumbnails instead of clicking on thumbnail and THEN copying the larger photos.  :-[ :-[

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:44:06 PM by HaroldCR »

Offline John B

• Contributor
    • www.tractorpart.com
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Hi Harold,
In your second set of pictures, you are trying to use the link to your gallery.
This is why the pictures did not show up.

To find the link to your picture, find it in your gallery, right click the picture, then choose "Copy image address". Now paste the link in your post, add the img tag before the link and the /img tag after it. img  and / img need to be inside brackets in order to work.

I hope this helps.
John B

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »

Thanks, John. I fixed the photos.

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
Harold...good to see rust still flows in your veins.....what is life without a welding project....right?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 06:27:02 AM »

I'm chin deep in welding projects. Got 2 welders, one for each hand.

Offline 5quarter

• New Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:22 AM »
Good for you Harold... ;) I need BOTH hands and 120% of my brain capacity to operate the one welder I do have. Hows the mill coming along, BTW?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2016, 06:23:43 PM »

5quarter, howdy. How have you been ?

Mill is acquiring a nice patina of rust. Just no time for anything, anymore. Biggest problem is getting the Honda 20HP engine to run. It threw the ignition magnet a couple of years ago. I finally had a free one sent to me from Australia, because you can't buy just the magnet. >:(

Have rebuilt the carb and changed the pulsing fuel pump and it still won't do more than spit and blow flames. The backfire in the exhaust nearly pops the ear drums.

Gave up and building my 3 wheel electric motorcycle. Several locals have sawmills. They just don't know how to correctly saw a log  ::) ::)

Offline 5quarter

• New Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 12:05:58 AM »
Life is good... :)  I'd like to see a couple pics of the 3 wheeler you're putting together...sounds like a fun project.  yeah, you probably need a break from that mill for a little while. If there's an engine shop nearby, just let them fix it. I build and fix alot of stuff myself, but sometimes I'll just send whateveritis out and avoid all the headache.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »

That Honda engine does not exist down here, and, I recently took my 041 Stihl to the local dealer/mechanic and it came back with major parts missing. When I questioned him, he got really upset and said the parts were never on the saw. ?? All I needed was a carb rebuild ?
 I had to have parts shipped down and while waiting, I made the parts out of scrap plywood and bicycle spoke. I will NEVER take anything to a shop here, again.

IF I had the time, I would build a gasifier to run that engine. I have 3 acres of plantation trees to cut, so, fuel for it would be no problem.

I have to brush up on posting photos, again.  ::) :-[ I have a few that I just took a couple days ago.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
HORSE HOCKEY Still can't add a photo.  Every time I try to add a picture in my Reverse Trike build topic in my gallery, it say "ERROR".  >:(  You need to make a category !!!!!!!
I ALREADY DONE DID THAT. ??????????

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
Not sure what your doing but you should be able to bulk upload pictures once your in YOUR GALLARY. Not having any issues on my end.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2016, 07:50:02 PM »
 Look in "My Gallery" and you will see I have 1 photo under reverse trike under "projects". The photo is IN the title. Every time I go to "My Gallery" I open the Reverse Trike folder and try to load photos, I get that Need to start a category notice ?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
 Somehow, I just put it in the forum Gallery, even though I chose MY gallery ??

Here is that same message, AGAIN ??

An Error Has Occurred!
You need to create a category first before you upload a picture.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:06:08 PM by HaroldCR »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »