alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Transmission Adventures  (Read 12154 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Transmission Adventures
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »
I had to take my son to the St. Louis Airport yesterday so I figured I would stop by Buzzsawyers place on the way home. 

He met me at the gate with Shotgun in hand 8) :D 

We made our way up the soft muddy hill just in time to see his two girls making homeade pancakes.  I knew I should have skipped breakfast in St. Louis.    :D

We worked on splitting some wood from an old pin oak in his yard and managed to break his splitting maul.   :(

Having exhausted all efforts to get him to fire up the mill and cut some lumber on his beast the burning desire to work on something took over and we tackled the transmission removal from his pickup. 

He had come over to my place about 6 months ago for a load of WRC and a bunch of it was still in the truck as the truck was "clutchless" at the bottom of the hill ever since he got it home.  He was lucky it broke there instead of somewhere between my place and his, which is about a three hour trip. 

We managed to have the trany out in about an hour of labor but we did spend a couple hours debating on the numerous methods to do so ;D

Don taking a hard look at the angle of the Jack ;D :D   
Note the wheel chock in front of the tire.  You see, we didnt want the truck to roll..................................but didnt realy think about putting it on the back tire that was on the ground.   :D

We had to take the top of the trany off to get it out as the shifter was about 2 foot long and we were not going to jack up the truck any more.  We had to use a chain and both of our fat buts pulling on it to drag the bahemith out from under the truck.

We guessed that trany to weigh in about 250 lbs with the chain drive transfer case on it.   :o

Once he gets the parts for the clucth I will schedule another trip over and help with the install. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Transmission Adventures
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »
You know, Kirk, I have some major work that needs doing on the D5, this Summer, you can schedule a trip West and help with that if you find wrenching that much fun.  I cannot promise mud and cold, however. ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »
Sounds Good to me!  ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:37:20 AM »
As long as its not changing the final drive in it I am a go!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »
Adjusting them is needed, along with the winch cables inside the housing need replacement or adjusting, then there is the righ break that has to have the cyclinder worked on or replaced.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
I will make sure the schedule an extra day or two on my next trip out your way ;)

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
Those final drives are a bear to work on ....did you look across the creek MR A??
There is a T-9 dozer there that needs your attention also ::) ::) ;)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:00:07 AM »
Problem is Buzz its on the wrong side of the creek ;D 

Offline Clive C

• New Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:52:35 PM »
It's a whole lot easier to separate the transfer case from the transmission, disconnect the driveshafts, grind off the rivets on the crossmember and slide the transfer case back in the frame rails and leave it there.  Then pull the tranny out.  It's gonna be a real PITA to get that whole assembly back in place while trying to get everything lined up properly.  Good luck

Offline Clive C

• New Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »
Old Chevys are  8) 8)

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:44:17 PM »
Hey Clive...now ya tell us..... :o :o ;) ;)
I thought about trying to wedge it back in there something like you are saying, but Kirk assured me this is , "A piece of cake"....and after all he had a long term relationship with an old chevy like this............ :-\

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 06:54:44 PM »
Well last week I got the ol chevy back together....with some trials and tribulation.....like for example how many of you dyed in the wool chevy guys knew the transmittion has to be in reverse to remove or replace shift forks.....it was easy to figure out after the first 30 tries :o :o :o ::) ::) ::)
 :D :D :D :D :D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 08:58:29 AM »
Those four pictures are exactly why I have an Allison in my Ford. ;D