alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Ash logs cutting into boards  (Read 9818 times)

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
Ash logs cutting into boards
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:22:32 AM »
Hi all.
I have one issues. How to cut ash logs into bords? I want to get bords 3cm X 11cm (1,2 inch X 4,3inch). I am workig with my DIY sawmill. At first i remove two sides  i got 4,3 inch board . Then, This board i am trying to cut into 1,2 inch boards. But log became not stable and it turning to one or another side - i cant to get smooth 1,2 inch board.
I am not good in English  but I will try to made foto if is not imposible to understand my problem.
Thanks.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Ash logs cutting into boards
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:55 AM »

Hi, long time, no contact. It's good to see you back here.

What type log clamps are you using to clamp the cant to the bed ? You should be able to peel 1/2" boards off all day long.

Yes a couple photos would probably help.

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »

So, first 2 attached foto - preparation to cut. log length 133 inch.

3 attached foto  - first cuts. Then I turn log 180 degree.

4 attached foto - secod cut.  Today I was tried to cut in boards .

5 attached foto - all bords thickness became different (i was cutting 1.37  thickness).

6 attached foto-  always I like after second cut to turn log 90 degree. In this way  I got Double cutting board . But ach likes to turn to one or another side like in 6 attached foto.

I always was working with spruce in this way - no problems. Logs was 236 inch length no problems. Boards  thickness accurate was about 0,03 inch in different places of the board. But with ash board  thickness accurate was about 0,20 inch. Its killing me because I want those boards to plane in future.

My phone is old ( I dont like those very clever new phones) , photos quality is poor . Sorry.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »

Photos are not showing. Did you put them in your gallery, first, then link to them ??  I should talk, I can't post photos worth a damn, anyway.  ::)

Please try again. If you were sawing well before, you probably just need a tune up on your mill.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
Photo 6 looks to me like curve is internal stress in the log.  Trees growing on hill side?   
There is something about cutting the opposite side to relieve the pressure when if first shows up but I'm not sure how it works.  Going to give narrower boards that way.  Maybe thicker cuts and resaw later?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »
 I agree with Steve. Looks like stress in the logs. The 3rd photo of the 1st slab and board rising at the end of the cut is stress. Down here I have 2X boards that will curve over 6" from the log. I can cut both horizontal and vertical with my swing blade mill, and still have problems.

Down here, most timber is from hillsides, so, a lot of stress in the logs.

Isn't your ash a hardwood ? 

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 11:11:28 PM »
Would cutting parallel to the widest crack in the butt of the tree make a difference?  I try and do that and hope the crack comes out with the saw kerf especially when I'm slabbing because the kerf is so thick. 

Kirk, Frank, where are you? 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »
I would say the first problem is the size of the log.  Small logs always have stress for some reason.  I don't think this log was grown on hillside because the rings appear to be uniform on both sides.

Small logs, cut, flip 180 and cut 2, flip cut 1 then turn 90, cut slab, flip 180.

Once its squared, pick your best face and cut and flip 180 and cut.  Doing this each board takes time but it helps to get better lumber. 

Not sure what type of scale you use to measure blade drop for each cut but I am guessing the blade thickness and kerf was not accounted for?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 03:40:40 AM »
No, i stored photos in www.postimage.org. With gallery was too much problem. I will try to store in gallery second time. With ash always problems. nine times out of ten appears this problem.

Maybe it can be call - internal stress. But trees grows in flat place. It is mixed forest - ash , spruce, birch, black alder. It is about 70 years old. Years or two ago i was cutting in 3 inch thick boards and leave it to dry- result is better.

No meter, how i try to cut parallel to crack or 90 degree to crack- my problem appears.  But some good things are, then you are looking cracks. Then cut in 3 inch thick boards and turn log 90 degrees from crack, boards likes to split to two parts. Then cut parallel to crack, almost in all case crack dont go deeper to boards then are drying. Then degree are between 90 and 140 (about) it split in to parts 20 inch and deeper into the boards.  All you can see in this foto:

It was cut 2 years ago. Tree was black alder and birch.

About log size. Yes small logs have bigger tend to stress. But i was cut and big like 30 inch diameter logs. The same. Only few logs i have cut with diameter 18 and bigger - with this logs not appears problem. But, there are problem to get so big logs. In my country not grove 18 inch diameter or bigger. Most ash trees are about 13 inch diameter.
In my country we are using metric system to measure

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
I always put the defect 45 degrees from the blade and that way you can cut out the bad during turning and trimming. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!