alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

The wood shop > Woodworking

Ash logs cutting into boards

(1/2) > >>

lauztuvass:
Hi all.
I have one issues. How to cut ash logs into bords? I want to get bords 3cm X 11cm (1,2 inch X 4,3inch). I am workig with my DIY sawmill. At first i remove two sides  i got 4,3 inch board . Then, This board i am trying to cut into 1,2 inch boards. But log became not stable and it turning to one or another side - i cant to get smooth 1,2 inch board.
I am not good in English  but I will try to made foto if is not imposible to understand my problem.
Thanks.

HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader:

Hi, long time, no contact. It's good to see you back here.

What type log clamps are you using to clamp the cant to the bed ? You should be able to peel 1/2" boards off all day long.

Yes a couple photos would probably help.

lauztuvass:

So, first 2 attached foto - preparation to cut. log length 133 inch.

3 attached foto  - first cuts. Then I turn log 180 degree.

4 attached foto - secod cut.  Today I was tried to cut in boards .

5 attached foto - all bords thickness became different (i was cutting 1.37  thickness).

6 attached foto-  always I like after second cut to turn log 90 degree. In this way  I got Double cutting board . But ach likes to turn to one or another side like in 6 attached foto.

I always was working with spruce in this way - no problems. Logs was 236 inch length no problems. Boards  thickness accurate was about 0,03 inch in different places of the board. But with ash board  thickness accurate was about 0,20 inch. Its killing me because I want those boards to plane in future.

My phone is old ( I dont like those very clever new phones) , photos quality is poor . Sorry.

HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader:

Photos are not showing. Did you put them in your gallery, first, then link to them ??  I should talk, I can't post photos worth a damn, anyway.  ::)

Please try again. If you were sawing well before, you probably just need a tune up on your mill.

Stevem:
Photo 6 looks to me like curve is internal stress in the log.  Trees growing on hill side?   
There is something about cutting the opposite side to relieve the pressure when if first shows up but I'm not sure how it works.  Going to give narrower boards that way.  Maybe thicker cuts and resaw later?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version