alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Vegas  (Read 7509 times)

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Vegas
« on: October 05, 2017, 05:25:00 AM »
Looks like my wife and I will go ahead and do MetalCon 2017 in Las Vegas on the 18th to the 20th. Trade show for the metal world...roofing and panel products and everything associated with steel buildings.

I really was having second and third thoughts about going, but we cannot stop living just because of the actions of a lunatic.

More coming out about the killer......looks like he may have had help....and an escape plan.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Vegas
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
Good for you, bud.  Keep your head up high and keep on keeping on.  That's what us deplorables do best - keep the country running.

I saw something that he aimed at aircraft fuel tanks too, hoping for an explosion I'm guessing.  I'm thinking he watched too many movies.  Jet fuel is kerosene and is hard to blow up and if avgas it's gotta have perfect conditions for ignition.  I've played around a lot with this stuff and after putting cigarettes out in a can of gas and not being able to light kerosene or diesel with anything but open flame I realized the movies are full of shit.  This was back in my younger teenage years - typical Appalachia boy "getting into trouble".  I really wasn't getting in any trouble, just experimenting.  After these experiments it makes me not as fearful of this stuff like some people are.  Some people are terrified about fuels and ignition sources because they don't understand them.  Hmmm..... sounds kinda like liberals and guns, don't it?  ::) ^-^

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
As my wife says you have to maintain situational awareness (SA) no matter where you are. 
Maybe it comes from our background and training but good SA is the key to survival in many different areas. 

You can't prevent some things from happening but if you are aware of your environment and have a plan at all times then you have a much improved survival rate.  True whether it is combat, a fire in your hotel, being in a large public gathering of folks or boarding an airplane and noting where the exits are and how many rows of seats there are from yours to the exits both in front and behind you.

As to fuel fires.  Vapor point/flash point of fuels is what makes it an issue.  As Ox pointed out it is much more of a challenge to get diesel/kerosene to ignite than gasoline but both can be explosively ignited and both can be more difficult.  Depends upon the circumstances and the environment that the fuels are put into before ignition.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »
YES!  Situational awareness!  It's something that I constantly try to maintain in my head when off the mountain.  I find it harder and harder to do as time rolls by being a hermit.  I find my mind scrambling around trying to keep up with the amount of people walking around me, strange vehicles, unusual behaviors, possible weapons to grab if needed, etc.  There's not any more people here in these smaller towns, it's just I'm not out in public anymore and it's changed my mental awareness that is used to slow and calm now, not quick and hectic like in the past.  Good for stress and mental well being but not so much for keeping my family safe in unknown circumstances.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »
My wife bailed but my son is going, no worries.

The only thing I dislike is not being armed. I have a CC and it does with me everywhere. I am not going to be the only one at the gunfight without a gun.

I think every time we are out in the public, at a mall, the movies, restaurants, wherever, my eyes are on a constant scan for threats.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:53:21 PM »
Good man.  It's a dangerous world out there.  I'd be armed all the time too, but here in NY you have to pay extortion money and beg for the right.  I'm getting the hell out of here in 10 years or so, to be a refugee from the Communist State of NY somewhere south of the Mason Dixon.  Likely end up in AL, GA, or maybe panhandle of FL.  From where I'm sittin' that there's the promised land.