alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: 2 for 2  (Read 10347 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
2 for 2
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
I'm started back felling and skidding and bucking logs to length for my next porch build coming up next year.  I felled two red pines in as many days and both of them went awry and hung up in another tree.  I'm grateful that I'm able to have machinery to help me in these situations.  Thankfully my body held out long enough for me to get some old broken down equipment and then fix and rebuild them before I went over the edge and not able to work like I need to.  I know - one tree per day don't sound like much but to me it feels like a very long time and quite a few breaks in between to rest.  Every day I'm able to do something usually only lasts for a couple hours total but when I'm done it feels like I ran a 10 mile marathon and then mowed away 2,000 bales of hay.  Unbelievable.

I'm gonna try to get another tree down and bucked up today.  I'm not feeling so good yet as I couldn't sleep for shit once again.  I gotta push and try but it's like trying to get blood from a stone.  No energy, much pain.  Almost gotta think of something to make me angry to get me going.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: 2 for 2
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
Did you have an accident or something?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:26:54 PM »
Apparently I was born with a degenerative disease but I didn't let it slow me down until about 10 years ago.  I was a fool and didn't listen to my body and so I tore it all to hell through farming, throwing food to Olive Gardens and Red Lobsters 40 ton at a time 3 times a week, a little logging for firewood, lots of hand splitting firewood, lots of just plain hard manual labor.  Degenerative spine disease, pre-dimentia, something with my nerves akin to Parkinsons, chronic fatigue, chronic pain TBD (traumatic brain injury), arthritis.  I'm 41.5 years old.  The way I move you'd swear I was twice that.  My body is that of an 80 year old and some of them 80 year olds move better than I do at times.  Crazy.  Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a thick headed "tough guy" my younger years trying to prove to myself how tough I was and how much pain I could be in and still do whatever I needed to do.  Stupid stupid stupid
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »
I have issues with rheumatoid arthritis and degenerative bone disease....inherited....so I know pretty much what I have to look forward to....that said, there are more advances made all the time in medicine that may bring relief...if we live long enough...lol.

Hang in there.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »
If your having shortness of breath or just feel like your not getting enough air it is quite possible you are having blood circulation issues, as in not enough oxygen.  Feeling exhausted quicker than normal is a sign of heart and or circulation issues.  Don't overlook possible heart issues because the things your describing sure sounds like not enough oxygen in your blood.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »
Kirk:  I understand that train of thought.  I've have the blood oxygen tests and everything is always good.  I don't get out of breath unless I'm trying to do something that's too much to begin with so this ain't always a bad thing!  I know I wish I had a skidsteer with a grapple.  This fatigue thing seems like a bunch of lead holding me down and seems like I can't get started to move sometimes.  I just had a thought typing this:  this might be the nerve thing I forget what they called.  Nerves would cause that feeling, wouldn't it?

joasis:  It's not much fun knowing that you're in pain now and knowing that it'll only get worse.  All we can do is try to be stoic.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »
  I just had a thought typing this:  this might be the nerve thing I forget what they called.  Nerves would cause that feeling, wouldn't it?

The nerve thing that  you can't rememeber - Was it CDIP?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
I guess that doesn't really ring a bell...  the brain doc said it was some nerve thing that stems from TBI (traumatic brain injury).  He said he could tell I've had multiple concussions from the way I walked, which I admit is a little unusual from people telling me I have a weird walk.  He was an incredibly intuitive doctor who has moved away. 
People have told me I walk like I got a load in my pants or something!  ???

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »
Dang OX, just met you (here) so sorry to hear of your pain!! I've had both shoulders redone from acting like you and pushing myself too hard, its just a guy thing I think. Pain anymore is just part of life I guess.
Take it a bit easy  (I know , hard to do) and do the best you can I guess.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
Ox, I'm with you buddy, at least on the same road anyway, and as to the go out and get a few logs real quick?  yea been there, and done that too!  I hate hangups, and it only seems to happen when you think of getting a few quick ones, right?
And as to the getting mad in order to feel like getin' and goin',, sounds familiar, 

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »
A.O. - lol I forgot to mention both my shoulders are tweaked too.  My left one has a little over 30 dislocations on it (got so bad it was dislocating in my sleep and waking up to it out then having to wrench it back in place), then fixed with surgery, then tore back out in a motorcycle accident (which ironically caused the very first dislocation!) so is now pretty limited in motion.  It's a bitch to put a coat on most times.  I don't ride motorcycles any more either.

My right shoulder is a little whacked cause I broke it just below the ball one night down by the river riding 4 wheeler and I couldn't see through the tall grass and the ground went away and over I went and my right arm skidded out in front of me went I hit the ground and I heard the crack.  It's quite a bit better than my left one, which I'm grateful for, but still not quite the same as it was!

Good times... lol

drobertson - it's not nice when what you say you're out for a quick tree or two and it takes hours to get done because everything goes wrong.  It turns something that's supposed to be halfway enjoyable into garbage sometimes...

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
Ox, two hang ups I remember the most were just that,  a pain in the rear, bout lost my tractor to one of them,, long story with lots of  ##$^%%&#  if you know what I mean,  the most recent wasn't a hanger even worse maybe, a barber chair on a pretty nice red oak,  more grumbling with this one too,, I''ve noticed after my latest back surgery, that my feet hurt a lot more now.. its' weird, its like pin and needles after standing for a short while.  And I can't sit for long either,, at least I can still fart successfully, without too much risk of sharting, :laugh:

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 11:06:51 AM »
Everything else takes a back seat compared to the ability to not shart.  VERY important!  ;)