alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Bandsaw sharpening setup  (Read 7816 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Bandsaw sharpening setup
« on: October 22, 2017, 07:00:39 AM »
I have the setup I used before Cats claw and dual tooth setter clogging up my cellar. The setter is my own design its single tooth on a pedestal with a foot pedal to clamp the band and a toggle clamp to push the tooth. It can be used with or without a dial indicator. The grinder is a American made bench grinder on a pedestal with a rest setup to guide bands. Its a good setup for someone starting or an occasional sawyer. The pair for $80.00 what you are mostly buying is a professional grade Wissota 1/2hp 7" grinder. Pickup only, eastern Ma. Wile your hear you might as well buy the Foley model 200 saw filer too, Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Bandsaw sharpening setup
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:54:50 AM »
That's a really good deal for somebody just starting out or with a hobby mill.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:02:33 AM »
I remember as a kid my grandfather kept a flat board maybe 12 inches long with all the saw blades that got dull....and the sharpening shop was a busy place...all the framers, carpenters, and wood guys knew where he was.

My grandfather always received the Belsaw Bulletins....and wanted to buy the set up to have his own shop.....and not long ago, I saw a craigslist add for a complete set up, and I mean every tool Belsaw made, from an old guy's estate, and the asking price was $1000 for all, or make offer. The add was posted for a month or more....don't know if anyone bought the stuff or not.

Now, in my business....when we trash a 12 inch carbide blade, it is cheaper to replace then to find a shop that can braze on new teeth and then sharpen....what a disposable world we live in.

If I ever get time to get back into sawing a lot, I will buy a Cooks Sharpener for sure.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »
JO, I hear you seems sharpening tools is becoming a lost art.  Saws and tools from the pacific rim are so cheap it costs less to buy a new one than have them sharpened. I remember those Foley/Belsaw adds tryin to lure old duffers into a sharpening business. I can't remember ever sharpening anything that didn't improve it, its not rocket science, you just copy what the original edge looked like. Handiest thing to know is how to sharpen twist drills, many folks just throw them away when dull. I work part time at a local abbey a 600 acre farm with 40 nuns. I take care of their farm and lawn care equipment. They had a whole big drawer full of dull hedge clippers and loppers. I showed one of the sisters how to sharpen them, she never realized it was so easy, just like new tools. Being a cheap yankee I sharpen disposable carbide saw blades on a green wheel. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »
Carbide can also be done on diamond wheels.  I'm guessing the grit is similar to CBN wheels.  I actually didn't know anything else could sharpen carbide so I learned something today!

joasis - I asked Cutting Edge once what sharpener he'd suggest and it was a Woodmizer CBN sharpener.  In case you wanted excellent instead of great.  I think it costs a bit more, but I'm not sure cause there's several different calibers of their CBN sharpeners.

Since we're on the subject of sharpeners, does anyone have one of those slow speed sharpening wheels that run in water?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline customcutter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »
Frank C

Are you coming to Fl on vacation?  I'm buying a used Cooks AC-36 mill tomorrow, don't know beans about milling or sharpening yet, but can't go wrong.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 07:10:51 PM »
Customcutter, nope not headed south this winter, can't wait to play in the snow with my new JD skidsteer. Not to worry about the learning curve, unless your a complete clutz , its about 95% common sense. Have fun with your new to you mill. Frank C.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 01:08:41 AM »
For what it's worth:
I've been milling with a Lucas for about 8 years and thought I knew about sawing and getting the most out of a mill, and then I bought a band mill.

Band mills are complicated machines compared to the Lucas.  I about twisted my neck off the first month just trying to keep track of what was going on and if I was doing everything I should.  I'm on a learning curve on blades right now, whew!  With the Lucas you pretty much sharpen the teeth and saw.  When you wear the teeth out you get the blade re-tipped and put it back on the mill and saw.  Kerf is set by the size of the teeth (3/16"), period! If your applying too much pressure, slow down.  The saw will let you know.  No leveling the mill, just make sure the side rails are close to the same plane and the saw blade establishes the first "level" cut.

Just have fun and remember it's kind of a hobby.  This is the life you've chosen!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!