alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Business and markets > For Sale

Bandsaw sharpening setup

(1/2) > >>

bandmiller2:
I have the setup I used before Cats claw and dual tooth setter clogging up my cellar. The setter is my own design its single tooth on a pedestal with a foot pedal to clamp the band and a toggle clamp to push the tooth. It can be used with or without a dial indicator. The grinder is a American made bench grinder on a pedestal with a rest setup to guide bands. Its a good setup for someone starting or an occasional sawyer. The pair for $80.00 what you are mostly buying is a professional grade Wissota 1/2hp 7" grinder. Pickup only, eastern Ma. Wile your hear you might as well buy the Foley model 200 saw filer too, Frank C.

Ox:
That's a really good deal for somebody just starting out or with a hobby mill.

joasis:
I remember as a kid my grandfather kept a flat board maybe 12 inches long with all the saw blades that got dull....and the sharpening shop was a busy place...all the framers, carpenters, and wood guys knew where he was.

My grandfather always received the Belsaw Bulletins....and wanted to buy the set up to have his own shop.....and not long ago, I saw a craigslist add for a complete set up, and I mean every tool Belsaw made, from an old guy's estate, and the asking price was $1000 for all, or make offer. The add was posted for a month or more....don't know if anyone bought the stuff or not.

Now, in my business....when we trash a 12 inch carbide blade, it is cheaper to replace then to find a shop that can braze on new teeth and then sharpen....what a disposable world we live in.

If I ever get time to get back into sawing a lot, I will buy a Cooks Sharpener for sure.

bandmiller2:
JO, I hear you seems sharpening tools is becoming a lost art.  Saws and tools from the pacific rim are so cheap it costs less to buy a new one than have them sharpened. I remember those Foley/Belsaw adds tryin to lure old duffers into a sharpening business. I can't remember ever sharpening anything that didn't improve it, its not rocket science, you just copy what the original edge looked like. Handiest thing to know is how to sharpen twist drills, many folks just throw them away when dull. I work part time at a local abbey a 600 acre farm with 40 nuns. I take care of their farm and lawn care equipment. They had a whole big drawer full of dull hedge clippers and loppers. I showed one of the sisters how to sharpen them, she never realized it was so easy, just like new tools. Being a cheap yankee I sharpen disposable carbide saw blades on a green wheel. Frank C.

Ox:
Carbide can also be done on diamond wheels.  I'm guessing the grit is similar to CBN wheels.  I actually didn't know anything else could sharpen carbide so I learned something today!

joasis - I asked Cutting Edge once what sharpener he'd suggest and it was a Woodmizer CBN sharpener.  In case you wanted excellent instead of great.  I think it costs a bit more, but I'm not sure cause there's several different calibers of their CBN sharpeners.

Since we're on the subject of sharpeners, does anyone have one of those slow speed sharpening wheels that run in water?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version