alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Forestry, Logging and Building > Timber Framing and Log Homes

Want to build a log home

(1/4) > >>

customcutter:
We are looking for 50+ acres in Alabama, to build a 2-3000 sq ft log home on.  I'm buying a used Cooks AC-36 mill tomorrow that is capable of cutting 21' logs.  There are pines, hickory, and white oak in the area.  I'm not sure how straight hickory and white oak grow, so it will probably be pine construction.  In this area, temps run from 20's in the winter to 90's in the summer.  So I'm hoping to find some mature pines that will be a minimum of 18-20", and making cants cut on 3 side's.  I've never cut a board on a mill, but I'm hoping to get can't approximately 12" high by 15" wide (wall thickness, for R rating).

I've done a little research, so I know I have to protect the logs from rain and dripping water splashing up on the lower logs.  My wife wants a covered porch all the way around all 4 sides of the house.  So I'm thinking, if I extend the roof off the lower eaves a minimum of 6' and off any higher peaks maybe 6-8', that it would kill two birds with one stone.  Question is can I do that on a concrete slab, or do I still need to do that on an elevated foundation?

Another question.  I was thinking that when I do find property and trees, I would ring the bark around the base of the trees I want to harvest.  Then come back in a few months after they have died and harvest them, they will be much lighter and easier to handle.  Does this degrade the quality of the logs, insect resistance, etc.?  Or should I cut them and stack them off the ground for sawing later and treat the ends to slow the drying process to prevent cracking?

thanks,
Ken

drobertson:
I've sawn a few cabins in the past.  Several different types, ranging from the D-logs, to beams with dove tails, to just squares. Everyone has different wants and desires for their dream home.  I will say using a 12 x 15 is heafty under taking. And maybe slightly over kill, but I'm no expert for sure.  8" was the thickest wall I've seen used, with 7" being pretty common.  I'm not too sure how the trees will react to the girdling in regards to the bugs.  I will ask some friends that do this and get back with you on that, he has extensive experience all through the south in TSI work.  Of the ones I've done, the trees were a mix of green felled to felled and stacked for a spell.  Having the bark to slip makes a difference for many reasons, so the bark will need to be removed.  As I'm writing this just off the cuff, early in the morning with just now finishing my first cup of coffee,  yea, we slept in today, I'm having all kinds of thoughts  coming to mind about log cabin builds.  I will get woke up, an check back in to see if you have any added any more discussion topics.  All said, it should be fun, exciting, and you may want to do some sawing and learning  how timber reacts before diving in a cabin project..

Ox:
Sounds like you have a man in the log cabin side for experience, customcutter! 

Forums really are fantastic tools for people.  The total knowledge is unbeatable.  As long as said knowledge keeps evolving to include newer technologies and knowledge bases and not revolve around a single blade and mill for all purposes... ;) lol!

drobertson:
Touched base with Willy before he headed out to blow lines this morning.  The way he stated it, was what I was thinking, when we girdled trees they were of the bigger sorts, very undesirables, and mainly the focus was on using these for den trees.  Falling dead standing trees have a bit of hazards that tag along when felling.  All this to say.  If I were to go about such a venture, I would pic the best of the best, liked sized timbers, with 2" or less in taper from end to end.  I also would consider smaller timbers, and figure of getting two D-logs from one saw log.  Just me, and as well, there will be outside lumber to recover.  From the wedges I sawed off, these were then put back on the mill and 2x4's and 6's came off and were used for the over hangs covering the covered porch.  There are so many options, that it's impossible to discuss here. The steps I would take would be this.. Have a real good ball park number on the design, at least for the drying in portion.  Clear an area and lay bark free timbers down, old ties would be perfect and cost effective.  Bugs are a killer, stack and allow to dry.  Sawing cants and stacking bring there own set of problems, such as molding and such during the warmer seasons, SYP can really grow the mold,, like I said, lots to work out on planning, it's been done and can be done. It just takes planning.

customcutter:
drobertson, thanks for the input.  I've been trying to figure this out from the beginning, and the more I learn, I realize the less I know.  I have seen a cabin made of cants that were 12-16" deep, don't remember the width, but they had 2-3" of filler between the cants and looked so rectangular or square that they had to be mfg.  There was no way they were 2 sided cants, inside and outside. 

We have found 55 acres, that has 15 acres of small loblolly pines ready for their first trimming about 8-10" diameter near the base.  They are too small for the log home unless maybe interior walls etc.  However, there are 35 acres of mature hardwoods, white oak, hickory, magnolia, elm (I think), and some mature pine.  Probably some other varieties that I don't know of.  Some of these mature trees are 24-30" or larger, a couple of feet off of the ground.  There is a magnolia that is close to 36" at waist height.  I'm thinking if I drop down to a 8-10" cant that I can possibly get 10 or more cants out of some of the trees.  Or is that a pipe dream????

On the girdling I was planning on dropping the trees as soon as the leaves or needles drop or start turning brown.  2-3 months I would guess not long enough for limbs to die and fall on me when felling the tree.  Somewhere I had read or heard about it and they said that the logs were a lot lighter and easier to handle, the moisture should drain better with it standing I would think?  I would expect fewer bug problems with the tree standing also instead of laying on the ground, waiting to be processed.

thanks,
Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version