alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

So which do you think ?

Woodland Mills
0 (0%)
Woodmaxx
1 (25%)
Frontier
2 (50%)
Save my money and buy lumber..
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM

Author Topic: Baby mill reccomendations??  (Read 149708 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: Baby mill reccomendations??
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 06:53:52 PM »
A. O. I don't know you from beans, but this does not matter,. the fact is and it's a fact, that, and you know,  you get what you pay for, (unless its given to you).  I have to say with milling logs, and I'm speaking from using a LT 40 super, its just a whole lot of work,, I can not even think how I could have done what I've done, without the hydraulics, and I still tore my back up.. manual will be slow, get that in your mind and be ready for it.  And depending on the mill you decide on?  get ready for other issues as well. I do believe this is what spurs folks into building their own, and it's still not quite what they were thinking,, just a guess,.  Logging, skidding, stacking , dragging, loading, not to mention the scraps that come off, sir,, its a bonified challenge,  it's worth it if you dont' have rose colored glasses on,, just saying,  hope the best for you, I know there is more pine there in that area than you will ever see get to the mill.

I actually do understand what you are saying, and I'm good with that. I have more time than money anymore! Not in a big rush to mill thousands of board feet of lumber, But I do have all these trees, I should put them to good use I'm thinking. And yes I have more trees than I'll ever have time to mill.. but it will be fun to try??
Logging, skidding, stacking , dragging, loading, not to mention the scraps that come off, sir,, its a bonified challenge, sounds like a bonfire to me, whos bringing the marshmallows?

And I really do understand this is a project, but also I'm looking forward to it. If I had a time frame to get things done, maybe not. So I think I'm good...

So are you going to come visit when you come to see your brother? Might be fun... Might go fishing in my back yard...

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 11:06:14 PM »
AO, I have an acquaintance who bought a Hudson Patriot and has been extremely unhappy with it, both the build and the lack of competent support.  I haven't been over to see it yet, but some of the dealer's suggestions involved the customer cutting and rewelding rather the dealer fixing it.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »
AO, I have an acquaintance who bought a Hudson Patriot and has been extremely unhappy with it, both the build and the lack of competent support.  I haven't been over to see it yet, but some of the dealer's suggestions involved the customer cutting and rewelding rather the dealer fixing it.

Good to know, thanks. I've heard some other similar stories about Hudson. Looks like I'll take that one off the list.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »
I have an electric powered "Mr Sawmill", made in Arkansas, and it seems about average in quality and construction, but keep in mind this is an 18 inch mill that sits in the shop. I bought this for a blind Vietnam Vet to use....and he could manage it.....of course, he was in no hurry, but the cedar dust got to him, and he gave it back to me.

I may put it on a trailer, and use a generator to run it...since the electric motor is a cat's meow for convenience. 5hp. No problem cutting, but it isn't my old circle mill by a long ways.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 07:39:50 AM »
AO, when we get back down that way I will for sure look you up.  I would love for you to have a mill by then, maybe you could encourage my brother to get one,  I've been trying for years now, but time and age is not working for his advantage.  That pond there brings back wonderful memories of big ole black bass, and huge hybrid blue gill,  probably a fare share of crappie?

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »
AO, when we get back down that way I will for sure look you up.  I would love for you to have a mill by then, maybe you could encourage my brother to get one,  I've been trying for years now, but time and age is not working for his advantage.  That pond there brings back wonderful memories of big ole black bass, and huge hybrid blue gill,  probably a fare share of crappie?

Yeah, Bass and what they call "brim" down here which is bluegill, sunfish, redear, or I guess just anything shaped the same way. I've not seen any crappie yet, but who knows.

Caught this little guy out there..

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »
I second an Ez Boardwalk. Or a Mr. Sawmill. Forget you ever heard of Hudson.
I have met and talked too the guy who makes the Mr. Sawmill mills. Nice mills well thought out the best I can remember but they have bearing guides which ain't that great but can be changed out to rollers.
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 06:42:01 AM »
I'm a little late to this fray but would like to add some generic thoughts. Cheaper mills are strictly built to a price point. All mills need the same stuff to work, when you spend more you are buying quality, and more rugged construction. Whenever possible go electric its the best mill power. Don't overlook older handset circular mills they are the most bang for your milling buck, and you will have a mill that will out produce $50,000 band mills. I bought a Chase circular mill with a six cylinder Ford diesel power unit for $500. Granted a circular mill is a lot of work to set up but you end up with a real sawmill not something that escaped from a woodworking shop. Frank C.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 08:40:10 AM »
Now there's a good thought Frank,  I remember back in 08' while I was on an extended portable job for an outfit that produced timbers for highway dept's across the country.  All I was to do was mill 6x8's , that's mainly all they wanted, with the occasional special orders of varying sizes and lengths.  Well it was a cut to order per sey,  so they needed them as fast as I could produce them, at times out sourced to other mills to fill the large orders.  All this to say, the ram rod back then came by the mill at the end of the day and said, "if I bought a cheap little circle mill would you run it?"  I asked why, he said he had found one for under 2 gran, but needed some work,,went on to say, those simple circle mills will walk the dog past most band mills, well he never did get it going, but I know for a fact now a circle mill, with a good set up is hard to beat. 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 04:18:21 PM »
Ok, next week I think I'm going to look at a used Timbery M100. Anything in particular I need to be looking for??

He says it will be up and running so we are going to be able cut with it if that makes any difference.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I've never cut with a sawmill. Familiar with the workings of a bandsaw as I have one out in my woodshop, but not on a large scale. Now after being on here and reading stuff I know most of you guys wouldn't consider what I'm looking for as "large scale" But you get the idea... :-)

An "hidden" bandsawmill quirks I need to know about?

Thanks..

Scott

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
None really that I can think of if you're able to see it cut and mill through a log completely.  If it can cut straight lumber it's basically dialed in already I would think.  Unless he's a master blade shaper and makes offset blades to cut on a mill that needs an alignment. 

Hopefully he has a manual with it for alignment purposes.  For someone who is not familiar with their mill a step by step alignment procedure will prove to be quite valuable.  For those of us who built our own or have aligned enough of them we already know how to do it but we weren't born with this knowledge.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 05:51:56 PM »
that's one little mill I did actually push through a log a few years back at the Paul Bunyan show.  In fact the fellow in the video is the same guy I met there.  Nice honest fellow I thought. For the life of me I cant remember the hp on the little mill, but it pushed nicely, and sawed fine from what I saw.  I think it would work just fine for sawing out all the pine you have laying around,,and it would work as good with some hardwoods too, so, if it fits the budget, I would not be afraid to give it a go.  I might be asking why he's selling just for the heck of it, and the usual other questions like , any problems with it?  check for obvious dings and bent parts, that may hinder the function of the roller carriage, in regards to the main beams being bent or twisted.  Log clamps should work smoothly, as should the up down crank, I'd say give it a good look,,don't be afraid to get in there and saw, thats the only way you will really know, and it sure wont hurt to take a look and hold of,, hope it works out for you,,

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
That saw comes with a 7hp with a 9hp, and a 13hp optional.. the one I'm going to look at has the 9hp.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »
A.O, if there is any milling secret to success is in a properly sharpened and set band. Paramount is a clean log, even one muddy spot will dull a sharp band. The big time millers have a debarker  I don't, I use a wire brush and an axe and keep dirty logs off my mill. Frank C.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »
10-4 on the wire brush, hatchet, even a claw hammer, I had a debarker on mine, but many times stuff gets smashed into and between the bark,,knot holes, and such,  getting as much of this before sawing is a good thing, my last batch of pine I sawed out, by the time I got to the end, and keep in mind he delivered them way after dozing and loading part, the bark was slipping nice, most of them I stripped before putting them on the deck, makes clean ups a whole lot easier.  These were the yellow pine logs, which brought to mind, if any gets dozed like these were, dirt, gravel and debris gets in the bark from the root ball, as well as the blade and pusher gouges fill with debris.

Offline customcutter

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 09:08:40 PM »
AO  hope you find what you are looking for.  It took me 3-4 months of doing research and checking CL from Miami up to Tenn, WV, etc.  but it finally paid off when I asked someone if they would demo their Sawmill for me.  Cook's didn't have one coming off the line the last 2 weeks of November when we were in Al.  Turned out we mentioned to a man that was seeding my in-laws pastures that we had been over to look at their mills and he said he had one.  I asked if he would demo it for me.  Then I asked if he knew of anyone that might have a used one for sale.  Turned out his brother had a newer one that his for sale.  Saved me about $20,000 over a new one.  It ain't bright and shiny and I've got to work through a few issues and change some hyd hoses. 

It's out there, keep the faith and keep looking.

Ken

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
AO  hope you find what you are looking for.  It took me 3-4 months of doing research and checking CL from Miami up to Tenn, WV, etc.  but it finally paid off when I asked someone if they would demo their Sawmill for me.  Cook's didn't have one coming off the line the last 2 weeks of November when we were in Al.  Turned out we mentioned to a man that was seeding my in-laws pastures that we had been over to look at their mills and he said he had one.  I asked if he would demo it for me.  Then I asked if he knew of anyone that might have a used one for sale.  Turned out his brother had a newer one that his for sale.  Saved me about $20,000 over a new one.  It ain't bright and shiny and I've got to work through a few issues and change some hyd hoses. 

It's out there, keep the faith and keep looking.

Ken

Thanks Ken, (and for the phone call, we need to finish it someday). I'm in no BIG hurry, but not many of the smaller ones come up for sale used, this is the first in fact..

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2018, 07:09:11 AM »

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2018, 07:31:33 AM »
What do you think of it?

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 07:55:51 AM »
What do you think of it?

Psychiatrist?? ;D ;D

Again , Its starting to leave my price range, but it has some features I like... and some I don't. I like the 14 hp engine, the auto lube feed, and the emergency stop button. It comes with the long bed (19 ft) to cut 16'6" lumber. And I like the push handle set up, and the adjustable guide width. I don't like the screw type log dogs, but most mills seem to have them.
Its like $3900 delivered, which is about the same price as the Woodland Mills HM126 set up the same way. The Woodland mills mill I can order with the shorter bed for about $3500 and add the bed extension at a later time when I rebuild my cash reserves! Also the Woodland one has a cam-lock dog which seems like a great improvement. BUT... it only has a 9.5 hp motor.
So, I like the woodmaxx unit, but coming up with the cash all at once would be a stretch..

Looking at the two, it looks like they both came off the same production line with some minor changes..

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 08:56:24 AM »
Well I did kinda like it, it had some features that looked worth a second look, you will like the 16' length

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Longer track, bigger engine, and for the same price is a no brainer to me.

I can't remember what the Woodland Mills has for guides.  Is it the sandwich type?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »

I can't remember what the Woodland Mills has for guides.  Is it the sandwich type?

Yes.   :(  The Woodlands and WoodMaxx  are the same machine basically and both use cursed/crappy sandwich guides.   >:(

A.O.,

Look at the Frontier Sawmills offered by Norwood.  IMO, better built, better features, easier to operate and has a 13hp with ROLLER GUIDES

Check out the price too... right in your range !!

https://www.frontiersawmills.com/us/products/frontier-sawmills/os27-sawmill

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 11:07:42 AM »
Yes.   :(  The Woodlands and WoodMaxx  are the same machine basically and both use cursed/crappy sandwich guides.   >:(

A.O.,

Look at the Frontier Sawmills offered by Norwood.  IMO, better built, better features, easier to operate and has a 13hp with ROLLER GUIDES

Check out the price too... right in your range !!

https://www.frontiersawmills.com/us/products/frontier-sawmills/os27-sawmill

Looks like the Frontier one is also basically the same machine with different options also. It IS about the only one out there with the roller guides, most have "sandwich" type guides with a roller guide to the rear. I did notice the timbery one I looked at did not have the rear roller guides.
And yes, its on my list also, and also a bit above "my range". Its a couple hundred above the Woodland one and they want $425 shipping.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 01:03:43 PM »

Yes, the track and cross-members between all three look identical.

The difference is in the carriage.  IMO the Frontier is braced better, up/down is improved and the scale is a much better.  Those are not little features to overlook when compared to the others.  To upgrade to roller guides will cost you over $200, not counting your time/labor.

Sorry, didn't realize what your max budget was. 

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site