alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

So which do you think ?

Woodland Mills
0 (0%)
Woodmaxx
1 (25%)
Frontier
2 (50%)
Save my money and buy lumber..
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM

Author Topic: Baby mill reccomendations??  (Read 150583 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Re: Baby mill reccomendations??
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
 If I were going that remote, I would not want anything computer related either

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
To be honest I really do not care to have them even right here in fairbanks. We do have a woodmizer dealer, and I like him for what little I have talked to him, but only one and he is 370 miles from here, so I just do not really want anything I would need any type of outside support to keep running. It is one of them great till it breaks types of deals, and since I am not high production oriented with the mill, It is not a must have.

I had not run a mechanical engine in any of my trucks since 99, till I bought a log truck, now I am in the slow process of building another one that is older with a mechanical engine, I do not care for computers in the woods, and they are not needed.

The log scales on my truck is a prime example, I can order them here, but there is not really a dealer in Alaska, and no one in the state to work on them when needed, luckily the manufacturer will stay on the phone with you to try and diagnose problems, but I wish I just didn't have to have them to start with, will not need them at the remote site, won't even need tags or tie down gear either, some aspects of it is right up my alley. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »
Yes it is I guess, but the mill is not the contract either, The contract is the timber cutting, and the mill is just to help out with cutting some large dunnage for the camp units we have to set up and some bridge decking. I had mis understood too, we will just use it the first year. My truck has stay there the whole three years, but I have since  found out that there is a way I can bring the mill back after the first season, I didn't know that was going to be possible.

Also while it is commercial it isn't in a way too, and I have now made a deal where no money will change hands for it's use, but it actually pays me too, if that makes sense.
The mill will probably work less than 2 or 3 weeks out of the 8 month gig, nothing I would buy a new mill over.
Also my mill has the full hydraulics, the only real difference in it and a new one, is some improvements on the toeboards  and the log clamp, it is pretty much as easy to use, just not quite as fast as a new one , especially a super 40 or bigger.  mine has no setworks either, I don't need or really want them for what I do, but If I was making lumber everyday for the public I would want them.

Ok.. but explain "setworks" to a complete rookie..

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2018, 06:38:06 PM »
Since I have never used one, DR or some of the others can give you a much better run down on the, but the basics is you program your cuts in it and it automatically runs your head to the right cutting depth. Some have more features and memory than others and are super nice if one is in it for high production, depending on what he is cutting ofcourse.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2018, 02:26:55 AM »
I think of setworks as being a mechanical (analog) to digital interface and back to mechanical (analog).  Mechanical measurement of the head position, a digital calculation of where the head needs to be moved for the next cut, and then a mechanical movement to the new position and then feedback to the computer to verify the head is where it should be.

Benefits.  Fast set up for each cut.  Consistent and precise boards every time (if it is working correctly and you understand its programing)
Another thing to break (another electronic device to fail).

I am not all knowing in how all of them work.
What I do know is:
-  One well know manufacturer's setworks calculates from the top down as it sets the head for each cut. 
-  Another well known manufacturer's setworks calculates from the bottom up to set the head for each cut.

Each has its good and bad points of function in my opinion. 

The one will allow you to change the thickness as you work down the cant leaving potentially something of odd sized thickness at the bottom.
The other is pretty much stuck with the one thickness of cut throughout the cant unless you want to have a piece of odd thickness scrap each time you change the thickness as it recalculated where the next cut is based on measuring up from where  the bottom of the cant is.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2018, 04:22:07 AM »

The new TK mills will cut from the top down or from the deck with the flip of a switch.  My B20 cuts from the top down and my brothers older TK 2000 cuts from the deck, I like  the B20 setworks better as I can change the board thickness from 1 cut to the next as needed which I do a lot but if cutting all the same size the 2000 setworks works good.  The new TK mills would be the best .Steve

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2018, 06:53:29 AM »
I've heard that the TimberKing mills are worth a good hard look. Never been around one, so I cannot offer any insights good or bad..On the WMZ mills I can a offer some, and especially in regards to the Accuset works.  My basic points of interest regarding the Accuset models are ones of a Love, Hate.  When they work they are unbeatable. From the Auto down, Auto up, to the pattern modes, which work if you will from the deck up, leaving the desired cant size., The problem arises when they fail, for one reason or other.  They leave you stuck as a boat with no prop. And the fix is expensive, not only in parts but in downtime as well.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »
I don't know about better or best, it does seem like everyone that owns a timber king likes it, and I know several that have upgraded and stayed with them. They do look like a quality built mill,and sure seem to hold their value going by asking prices for used ones that I have seen.
All that said, the only thing I really knew about sawmills when I bought mine is I wanted one, but I like my old woodmizer, and would probably stay with them if I upgraded too.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »
You know me too, I know in the past I've cast a dim light on WMZ from time to time, the only issue I ever had was with the Accuset, and they (wmz) actually did by it pretty good for me, if you don't count the down time.  I had the Cat 51 diesel, and it may have just had too much vibration for the H-bridge and components.  I will say for the times and it was most of the time, it ran like a  top.  Fact is I wish I had never sold it, but two back surgeries kinda wrote that prescription.  I can hardly wait to see how our buddy A.O. does with his mill.  If he listens to good advice concerning blades he should be a very happy camper.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2018, 06:54:30 AM »
TODAY.. Right after lunch they say for delivery...

And the Woodmaxx SM26e didn't have the setworks option!!  ;-)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #210 on: March 09, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
FWIW
First mill I bought was a Lucas 8".  Reasons that prevailed were the size of log it would cut (I've cut a 72" log with it), mobility, and price!

Second mill I bought was a TimberKing 1600:  Reasons that prevailed were the depth and width of cut, and entry level hydraulics (getting old). Price was a consideration for sure but not prevailing.  Tech support has been absolutely great.

One hell of a learning curve going from a wheel saw to a band mill which I didn't anticipate.  The Lucas is a simple machine compared to the TK and probably any band mill.

One thing TK didn't tell was that the addition of the mud saw loses two inches of width of cut and the "toe" board on the 1600 is a joke.

Reason I didn't buy a Woodmizer was the lack of depth and width (compared to the TK) of cut and rumored electrical problems with two personal contacts on the LT70.

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
ITS HERE, ITS HERE!!

So the truck just showed up, Glad I got those pallet forks, just in time I might add.
Nothing much to report yet , but I took some picks to start. Most of these things (mills) that I've seen come in a carboard box on a pallet. This one came in a shipping crate, the carraige comes fully assembled.. now to put the track together and get everything set up.. wish me luck.
Here's pics... Bear with me, I'm excited and having fun!

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #212 on: March 09, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »
That's nice.  I've been trying to get this mean woman I live with to let me get one.  I sold my other mill earlier and miss making lumber.
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #213 on: March 09, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »
Cool! :) ;D 8)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #214 on: March 09, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »
Man, I bet you can literally smell the sawdust now.

Maybe we should start a pool betting on what hour you will make your first cut. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
Man, I bet you can literally smell the sawdust now.

Maybe we should start a pool betting on what hour you will make your first cut. lol

If the weather is good, tomorrow sometime...

Hey... can iget in this pool???

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #216 on: March 09, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
That's nice.  I've been trying to get this mean woman I live with to let me get one.  I sold my other mill earlier and miss making lumber.

TEQUILA!!! :-)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #217 on: March 09, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »
TEQUILA!!! :-)

I am thinking you would have an unfair, inside track on the timeline. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2018, 06:02:39 AM »
I am thinking you would have an unfair, inside track on the timeline. lol

EXACTLY what I was thinking!!!  So am I in?? >:D >:D

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2018, 06:41:51 AM »
EXACTLY what I was thinking!!!  So am I in?? >:D >:D

Yes I think you should be included, however with a restriction. 
That restriction is that your guess as to the first cut can be no earlier than 2 weeks from today.  If you can wait that long to make your first cut with your brand new mill I think you should win the betting pool.  My bet is you can't wait that long no matter what the pool may have in it to win.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #220 on: March 10, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
Yes I think you should be included, however with a restriction. 
That restriction is that your guess as to the first cut can be no earlier than 2 weeks from today.  If you can wait that long to make your first cut with your brand new mill I think you should win the betting pool.  My bet is you can't wait that long no matter what the pool may have in it to win.

Well never mind then..  I AINT WAITING!!  ;D ;D

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »
with yall's weather, today ought to be a very good day, 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2018, 12:51:02 PM »
UPDATE:
Got the track all squared away and mounted..

Now comes the fun part, mounting that carriage assembly all by my lonesome..

Got it close to the track..

And time to lift it up on the track!

Went through all the allignment procedures as specified in the manual...
Just filled it with oil and gas and got it fired up, time to put the water/soap in and give it a try.

Stay tuned..

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #223 on: March 10, 2018, 02:02:03 PM »
Looks real nice.  I like your track system. 
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #224 on: March 10, 2018, 04:11:36 PM »
So I got it up and running...

My little "saw yard"