alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

So which do you think ?

Woodland Mills
0 (0%)
Woodmaxx
1 (25%)
Frontier
2 (50%)
Save my money and buy lumber..
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 08, 2018, 03:01:27 PM

Author Topic: Baby mill reccomendations??  (Read 150569 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: Baby mill reccomendations??
« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »
Too anal??

It might rain tomorrow!!   ;D :o >:D

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
WOW, you have already quit sawing. lol

You are or at least should be, officially ruint now.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2018, 04:29:41 PM »
WOW, you have already quit sawing. lol

You are or at least should be, officially ruint now.

HA!! I have 0.06 of an hour on the meter!!

Yeah, momma wanted to go eat!

Now I got to figure out what to cut!  I need to make a log deck. and a take off platform for what I'm cutting.. I think those are first.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #228 on: March 10, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
Too anal??

It might rain tomorrow!!   ;D :o >:D

Not at all.  Protect your equipment and it will last.  I would have used green as the blue does not do it for me however.

Congratulations on your first slab removals
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #229 on: March 10, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
Not at all.  Protect your equipment and it will last.  I would have used green as the blue does not do it for me however.

Congratulations on your first slab removals

Thanks.. and blue is just what I had laying around is all.. ME?? I'd do orange!

And yup, first log down..

OH, in case there is a pool.. started the first cut at 2:32 pm 3/10/2018!  HAHAHA!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2018, 04:38:24 PM »
Very nice!  Happy Happy Happy! for you!  covered up is a good idea too, nothing anal about that, anal would be not covering, like dumb ass anal, its only just begun,,

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2018, 05:09:06 PM »
Very nice!  Happy Happy Happy! for you!  covered up is a good idea too, nothing anal about that, anal would be not covering, like dumb ass anal, its only just begun,,

Thanks Dave..

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »
Now  I see the real difference between a manual mill and a hydraulic one.  It appears a guy can stop after one log with a manual, where a hydraulic mill it is more like the old lays commercial, where you can't stop after just one, infact instead of tarping, you would be sawing by the headlights on your pickup the first day. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2018, 06:22:15 PM »
Now  I see the real difference between a manual mill and a hydraulic one.  It appears a guy can stop after one log with a manual, where a hydraulic mill it is more like the old lays commercial, where you can't stop after just one, infact instead of tarping, you would be sawing by the headlights on your pickup the first day. lol

Well then I'm glad I got the manual one!!  HAHAHA!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »
Well, you haven't said what you thought of it, first impressions, were inpatiently  waiting. lol

Did it cut nice and flat right off the bat?

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
That's nice.  I've been trying to get this mean woman I live with to let me get one.  I sold my other mill earlier and miss making lumber.

I found out years ago, it is easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. I actually owned my mill several months before the wife found out about it, she was only a wee bit chapped and for less than an hour, then the world was right again. It was very much worth it. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
Well, you haven't said what you thought of it, first impressions, were inpatiently  waiting. lol

Did it cut nice and flat right off the bat?

First off, yes it cut just about perfect right out of the gate!

First impressions.. Mr impatient! ;) The engine seems a bit cold blooded, but it is brand new and needs to get broken in so I'm not concerned. It cuts very nice (only pine so far), easy to push. I like the "push handle" , can use both hands and it adjustable for height and angle. BUT, speaking of height, the height crank (or whatever its called) is on the high side and I'll probably end up getting a stool or milk crate or something to stand on to get me better access to it. The lube reservoir is WAY to high, for me at least. Tried to lift a 5 gallon gas can half full to fill it (I've had both shoulders operated on and have not re-acquired all my strength back especially up high) and had a hard time doing this.. and when I got close to getting it to work..it started rolling away from me AHHHHHHH!  I ended up dragging a hose out there which worked fine. But its still way to high at least in my book.

All in all for the short amount of time I used it (0.06 on the hour meter) I liked it and it lived up to my expectations.. a lot of things don't. Seems to  be well made of stout materials. Bill of lading from the shipper lists the crate and all at 1165 pounds, the woodland mills HM126 is 850 palleted up according to Woodland mills so this is a bit hevier.

So far so good and I'm happy with the fact I went a bit over budget... so there!! ;D ;D

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #237 on: March 10, 2018, 07:52:19 PM »
If you bring your head all the way down, is the lube tank and presumedly gas tank too, still too high.  To be honest that is fairly high on my woodmizer, and when you run out of gas in a cut, so that you can't drop the head, it is real high. lol For that reason a step ladder stays with it, whether I need it or not. My head will not try to roll away, I suspect it will be easy to rig something to keep yours from rolling, as that could cause a problem.

I especially like the part where it cut nice right out of the gate. After reading for a couple of months, I was surprised how nice mine cut, I guess I was probably expecting the worst.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
The lube tank is in a fixed position on top of the carriage, it does not move. Gas tank is part of the motor just like on a lawn mower, so yes it lowers with the head.

I was thinking on just putting a set of vice grips on the track to keep it from moving when needed.

And yes, I've read the horror stories, I was very glad it cut well from the git go. I did go through all the alignment procedures in the book before I even put gas in it, might be part of the reason.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »
Ok, Yea I see what you are talking about, hmm maybe little pump, if you move it away from  water hose access.

I had never thought of things like your height crank not being in a handy place to access, things you do not think about being different from what you are used to.

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #240 on: March 11, 2018, 06:53:29 AM »
A couple of products I used on my previous mills was Dupont Motorcycle Degreaser and Dupont Chain-Saver (a Wax-Based Chain Lube).  I'd use the degreaser to get dirt off of exposed metal parts and then coated them with the Chain-Saver.  This cut down on the rusting which is particularly bad here on the coast.  Funny how we'll wax the crap out our trucks and cars but won't do the same on our mills. Where's the lumber?  Whoops, be sure to pick up a small hand brush or broom to get sawdust off of the lumber.
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2018, 08:03:58 AM »
Ok, Yea I see what you are talking about, hmm maybe little pump, if you move it away from  water hose access.

I had never thought of things like your height crank not being in a handy place to access, things you do not think about being different from what you are used to.

But remember I am completely new.. I am not "used" to anything yet.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »
from the short video all looks good on this end, I was curious as to the dimensions of the lumber, like that one 2x in the video, did it hit the number? and did the rest as well, just curious as to the hand crank and scale system,,

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #243 on: March 11, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »
When I mentioned what your used to, I was talking about what I was used to. lol

Some of the other guys will laugh at this, especially the ones that have setworks, but until I got used to my scale and still do when I am being picky.  I would keep my tape handy and just kiss the cant then shut it down and back it up and measure the cut. It slows down production, but I get exactly the size I want like that and I am not a production sawyer anyway. Just don't leave the blade spinning while you do it, the first time you break a blade, you will understand why.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #244 on: March 11, 2018, 06:21:21 PM »
from the short video all looks good on this end, I was curious as to the dimensions of the lumber, like that one 2x in the video, did it hit the number? and did the rest as well, just curious as to the hand crank and scale system,,

Yeah they all seemed close, was just using the scale , making up some lumber for my take off bench. those were about 1 3/4 x 8 1/2.. just an arbitrary number for practicing.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #245 on: March 11, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
When I mentioned what your used to, I was talking about what I was used to. lol

Some of the other guys will laugh at this, especially the ones that have setworks, but until I got used to my scale and still do when I am being picky.  I would keep my tape handy and just kiss the cant then shut it down and back it up and measure the cut. It slows down production, but I get exactly the size I want like that and I am not a production sawyer anyway. Just don't leave the blade spinning while you do it, the first time you break a blade, you will understand why.

Yes, I understood hat you were saying.. And yes I took a few measurements at the blade/cant juncture trying to figure stuff out

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #246 on: March 12, 2018, 12:34:14 AM »
I use gallon milk jugs to fill the water reservoir. Prefer a water hose though! It doesn't have to be full to work, just not empty!

Don't know about Briggs engines but Kohlers do seem to take time to break in and get the most power.  I was up against the governor on the engine when I first started cutting with my band mill but not so much now with about 1000 hours.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #247 on: March 12, 2018, 06:32:16 AM »
A.O.,

One thing is for sure, no one can fault you for doing a darn good job on getting ready.

Logs are nicely staged and up off the ground, foundation for the mill looks solid and you have plenty of means for moving logs, lumber, slabs.  You will be rewarded many times over for putting such an effort in being prepared.  Looks like a nice open and level area to work also... big plus.

Glad you're starting to enjoy the fruits of your labor.  Tickled for ya !

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #248 on: March 12, 2018, 07:31:18 AM »
I use gallon milk jugs to fill the water reservoir. Prefer a water hose though! It doesn't have to be full to work, just not empty!

Don't know about Briggs engines but Kohlers do seem to take time to break in and get the most power.  I was up against the governor on the engine when I first started cutting with my band mill but not so much now with about 1000 hours.

I'll probably just use the hose, its close enough..

And yes, this guy has a Kohler on it.. with less than an hour on the clock! I need to change that! , but its supposed to rain steady all day today :( !

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #249 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
A.O.,

One thing is for sure, no one can fault you for doing a darn good job on getting ready.

Logs are nicely staged and up off the ground, foundation for the mill looks solid and you have plenty of means for moving logs, lumber, slabs.  You will be rewarded many times over for putting such an effort in being prepared.  Looks like a nice open and level area to work also... big plus.

Glad you're starting to enjoy the fruits of your labor.  Tickled for ya !

Thanks Richard..

Now I need to work on learning how to cut logs into the size lumber I need. I'm going to build a "take off deck" first for stuff coming off the mill. then a couple big cants to make a log deck with, I figure that will give me some practice.

That ground is pretty flat, not sure I would call it level though, look how much that saw platform rises to get it level in just 20 feet. But its not too bad either.

Once I get some of this stuff figured out, and build up my cash reserves again, we'll have to talk saw blades, or bands whatever you guys call them..