alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: I don't think the search function is working right  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
I don't think the search function is working right
« on: December 24, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
As the title says, I tried searching for furu's excellent posting pictures thread and I couldn't get a thing, no matter how I worded my search.  Nothing is coming up for any searches I do. 

Figured I'd raise a flag for you smart guys that know computers and the internet and how to fix this stuff!  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
Re: I don't think the search function is working right
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:24:57 PM »
I have not been on many forums, but the only one with a search function that I have had any success is the cast bullet forum, it uses some google something or other.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »
Not sure what you're seeing or not seeing. I typed "picture", without quotes, and a bunch of threads pop up to include one FURU started on posting pictures.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
I typed in "posting pictures" and it came back with no results.  lol  Then again, no results using post pictures.  Maybe I just need to simplify it to the bare bones.

Sorry to bother you, bud.  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »
I typed in "posting pictures" and it came back with no results.  lol  Then again, no results using post pictures.  Maybe I just need to simplify it to the bare bones.

Sorry to bother you, bud.  :)

Being me (yes I am weird) and not being able to be with my family today (another story but I did just get to talk to the wife for a bit) I was reading Ox's post and Kirk's response. 
I have never used the search function on this site so  I started to "play" with it out of curiosity. I put in the same "posting pictures"  terms as Ox did and got three responses; all from the post he started.  I played around a bit more and suddenly had 7 pages from the search. 

What I determined or at least think I determined, if my supposition is correct, is if you are in a thread and do a search it will only search on posts inside that thread.

If you want a full search of the site you have to be at the index of the site http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php

Every search I did from the index of the site yielded great results. If I went to a specific thread and was in that thread and did a search I only found things that were included in that thread. Could be wrong but that would seem logical for the software design such as it appears to be.  Some sites have an option to search the whole site or just the specific thread that you select  as you start the search.   This software appears not operate that way.  It is most likely built into the code to work as I described.  But I could be wrong.  Try the searches from the index of the site and see if it helps.

Oh my wife tells me that they have a white Christmas with 6 inches of snow, for oh so many reasons I wish I was there. 
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 07:01:08 PM »
Geez, furu, where are you this Christmas?  I'm sorry you can't be where you want to be.

The reasoning behind the search function actually makes a lot of sense and hopefully I'll remember that the next time I want to search for something.  I'm glad you found this out.  I'm betting Kirk was on the other page as well and I must have searched from a certain chapter, heading, section, whatever you want to call it.

Edit:  I just clicked on the Sawmill & Timber heading at the top left, and while at the main page I did the "posting pictures" search and a pile of suggestions popped up.  So that's a relief.  So now I'll know what to tell someone if the search thing ever comes up again - "Search from the main page.  :)"