alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: The best that there has ever been  (Read 6626 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
The best that there has ever been
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:06:37 PM »
Is it true, that the best that there has ever been got spanked by a second string backup noname??

I am not what you would call a football fan, and haven't had a team to root for since the 70's when I called Dallas my team, so on the occasion I do watch a game, I generally root for the underdog.

I freaking loved it when a backup quarterback out played Brady, and shut them down. Not by much, but I still loved it. lol

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: The best that there has ever been
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:53:16 AM »
Not that much of a fan at all; but this year with the actions of many players have even been less so.
Having said that the story of Nick Foles is a great story of perseverance and determination.   
It was a good game from what I heard.  I was working and only heard about it later.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 07:57:20 PM »
Did not partake in this years NFL season, but did see the results, and good with that outcome, still don't appreciate the kneeling,

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 07:36:58 AM »
The public position of the NFL owners and players eliminated me from ever watching an NFL game again. Ever. Looking forward to the XFL....bet they won't be kneeling.

The fastest way to lose my interest or support is simple: Disrespect our nation, flag, veterans, or God, and I am out.

Obviously, we can't always vote with dollars, but whenever I have a choice, I do not support any movies, or products, or watch anything that is contrary to my core beliefs.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
Well said, joasis.  I back your beliefs and ideals 100%.

I had to look up XFL.  Is it those wrestlers that are playing?  It looks like that McMahon guy is involved somehow.  I can't tell if he's really controlling or owning some of the wrestling stuff or if he's yet another actor.  That whole business is confusing to this naive and ignorant hillbilly.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:14:42 PM »
I have a hard time believing the XFL will gain enough traction to make a go of it, but have been wrong before.

Like Ox, I had to google it to even see what it was.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 07:47:03 PM »
I remember, it was a border line joke.  And there is no way it will ever be on or at the level of the NFL.  Not saying there is not talent there, just not at the same depth.  Honestly, I could not care less,  I've just lost my interest in the sport, it began even before the kneeling, with all the carrying on, from one good play like they had won the game or even the championship. It's just not what it used to be, I suppose not much is. But after the kneeling began, it tanked for me.  I've got to say I have not missed the game, I did miss the last games' get together, we for years had a feed, several families gathered, lots of cooking, eating, playing games, watching the commercials, laughing to boot,,I can not bring myself to watch this type of hype when they disrespect our flag, our anthem, and our veterans,, regardless of what they say, its what they are doing, period,  rant over,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
I'm with ya on that one.  I never watched sports, just no interest.  But I remember reading about the "poor, underprivileged, oppressed black players", who are making millions of dollars ever year, protesting by taking a knee.  What a bunch of ungrateful, hypocrytical, two faced monkeys.  I've also read that the NFL has taken a hit to the wallet because of these actions.  Good.

I'm glad we have a president that puts us and our country first.  It's a breath of fresh air.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »
I think I read that there was 3% less people watching the super bowl this year from last, and that actually knocked it back several years as far as rating went.
It was still the most watched tv show ever by a lot.

I do not know if I believe how they come up with the numbers of people watching. I have heard that the merchandise they sell  (jerseys and such) has taken a huge hit in over all dollars).
I suspect a percentage of players are and have always been basically sorry thugs, but there are some that use their money and prestige for a lot of good. Iirc one player, I can't tell you what team he plays for, I want to say his name is long, has played this whole year for free. Apparently he has donated his whole salary to different orginazions to help kids. Another raised something like 37 million dollars for hurricane relief in for the Houston area this last year. I think he was voted in man of the year. So there is some good with the bad.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »
Starmac, you are right, there is a whole lot of good with the bad.  I figured it kinda like anything else, one or two popular guys stand for something, then the rest being part of the "team" just join along to be supportive. Then the whole thing snowballs into an unmanageable disaster.  It just seems like this is just the tip of thing to come in regards to our country and how things are perceived and rationalized. Bottom line, things are likely to get a whole lot worse than football players kneeling during the anthem.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 07:01:59 PM »
I probably shouldn't say anything, but in my opinion we had 8 years of purposeful race relation disintegration.  This was on purpose and in the cause of fundamentely changing the country.  All was not accomplished in 8 years, but it had a good start and was on track to be bad, then the unthinkable happened and the pendulem is swinging back the other way it seems. For 8 years we had certain athletes and entertainers held up on pedestals and treated to half million dollar dinners at the white house, like they were heroes just for being good at a game or singing rap music, or even inciting a riot.  This business has slowed considerably and I predict even the NFL kneeling will fade pretty quick, once it gets in enough pockets.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »
Yea, and the thought just occurred to me,, your original subject,,"The best that there has ever been"  could very well come back around and actually be talking about our President!  I'm not mincing words either, fact of the matter, he dove straight into the cess pool swamp. And in so doing has uncovered a freaking mess, why there is more ass covering going on than in the entire history combined I believe..

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »
LMOA, You got it. I truly believe that he is going to at least try to get this country headed back to what made it the greatest in the world. I am not even saying it isn't now, but it was definately on a down hill and spiraling out of control. 8 more years tacked on to the last 8 would have just about gotten it to the irreversable stage as far as I am concerned.